The Student Room Group

My 4th option for A-levels?

I'm not sure what to take as my fourth option for A-level.
So far I've chosen: maths, French, German.

I'm thinking of things like chemistry, economics, psychology, classics. Any ideas on subjects that complement? Or opinions on previously mentioned options? :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Meganc04

I'm thinking of things like chemistry, economics, psychology, classics. Any ideas on subjects that complement? Or opinions on previously mentioned options? :smile:

If you know you'll do science based subject then take chemistry or if you know you'll do humanities subject at uni then take history or econ. And if you don't know what you'll do at uni at all then take chemistry (since its the only science subject you've listed in your options :smile:)

Maybe do one language? So something like maths, German or French (whichever you prefer) chemistry and psychology. Those options will prepare you for either a science based course or humanities. Although humanities/social science degrees do not have any specific A level requirements, it can help. My uni accepted me on the basis that my A level subjects were similar to what I had applied for through clearing, and of course most sciencey subjects ask for maths or a core science or both. So Keep your options open :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by cherryred90s
Maybe do one language? So something like maths, German or French (whichever you prefer) chemistry and psychology. Those options will prepare you for either a science based course or humanities. Although humanities/social science degrees do not have any specific A level requirements, it can help. My uni accepted me on the basis that my A level subjects were similar to what I had applied for through clearing, and of course most sciencey subjects ask for maths or a core science or both. So Keep your options open :smile:

Thanks for the reply :biggrin:
I am pretty certain about doing languages at uni and possibly for a career. I really couldn't choose just one, I found it hard enough cutting it down from three to two :s-smilie: I know I definitely won't be doing a humanities course but I guess I'll choose a sciencey subject to keep my options open a bit more. Thank youuu!
Reply 5
Original post by fatimaaa
Keep in mind that languages are difficult at A Level so for your final subject maybe choose one which is less demanding or one that you're better at?

Okay I'll keep that in mind, thank you :smile: Maybe economics then, I don't actually know how much work that is bit I'll look it up.
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply :biggrin:
I am pretty certain about doing languages at uni and possibly for a career. I really couldn't choose just one, I found it hard enough cutting it down from three to two :s-smilie: I know I definitely won't be doing a humanities course but I guess I'll choose a sciencey subject to keep my options open a bit more. Thank youuu!

Just realised that languages are humanities but you know what I mean
Reply 7
Original post by hilrho
If you know you'll do science based subject then take chemistry or if you know you'll do humanities subject at uni then take history or econ. And if you don't know what you'll do at uni at all then take chemistry (since its the only science subject you've listed in your options :smile:)

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing languages or linguistics, I think I'm going to choose economics. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure I'll be doing languages or linguistics, I think I'm going to choose economics. Thanks for the help :smile:

No problem :smile: Good luck with your A-levels!
Reply 9
I had this dilemma when i was choosing and in the end I chose a subject that I enjoyed at school which had no correlation with what I wanted to do at uni whatsoever! But i would recommend only doing one language as they require you to memorize so much vocab and maybe swap for a science then something a bit easier that you enjoy. This will give you options for practically all uni courses and such, plus it gives you an easy option of which subject to drop when going into your second year.
Reply 10
Original post by ENB
I had this dilemma when i was choosing and in the end I chose a subject that I enjoyed at school which had no correlation with what I wanted to do at uni whatsoever! But i would recommend only doing one language as they require you to memorize so much vocab and maybe swap for a science then something a bit easier that you enjoy. This will give you options for practically all uni courses and such, plus it gives you an easy option of which subject to drop when going into your second year.

The thing is, there's nothing else I really want to do :tongue: I think I'm doing economics though. I'm 100% certain on doing two languages, I'm currently doing three and I have a pretty good memory luckily. A few people on here have suggested only doing one but I definitely wanna do languages for uni and possibly career so I guess I'll just have to work hard aha :smile: thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Reply 11
The thing is, there's nothing else I really want to do :tongue: I think I'm doing economics though. I'm 100% certain on doing two languages, I'm currently doing three and I have a pretty good memory luckily. A few people on here have suggested only doing one but I definitely wanna do languages for uni and possibly career so I guess I'll just have to work hard aha :smile: thanks for the help! :biggrin:

Thats completely up to you at the end of the day and some people work better with different things, its my friend that does french and she really struggles learning it all, as long as your prepared for it you should be fine. id recommend doing a science then honestly. they're really hard, i do sciences myself but they open doors into all sort of careers, i didn't know what wanted to do which is why i chose sciences and i've just applied for Physiotherapy at uni. Its a really good option if you not sure on what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest