The Student Room Group

2nd year (child) student nurse... Ask me anything :D

Will try to answer questions to the best of my ability!

I study at a London university, currently on placement in children's A&E :biggrin: xxx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iloveladygagaxo

I study at a London university, currently on placement in children's A&E :biggrin: xxx

Are you enjoying ED? :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
Are you enjoying ED? :smile:

Hi!

I'm really enjoying it so far, I've only done a couple of shifts but it's so interesting. I was very shocked at how different it is from a ward setting and how fast paced it is, but the staff have been so lovely and included me in so many things already!

Have you had any experience in ED? :smile:
What are the main you have to consider so far when looking after a child in the hospital?
More hands on or paperwork?
Hi!

I'm really enjoying it so far, I've only done a couple of shifts but it's so interesting. I was very shocked at how different it is from a ward setting and how fast paced it is, but the staff have been so lovely and included me in so many things already!

Have you had any experience in ED? :smile:

I did a Paediatric Assessment Unit placement during my second year, but that's obviously a little different to ED. I did like the pace and turnover of it though and loved the diagnostic nature of it too.

I did one shift in our ED as part of my newly-qualified supernumerary period but it was tough as it was really hectic and I didn't know where anything was or how the department ran. I think I'll stay in the safety of my ward for now!
Reply 5
What did you get in your a levels
Hi! I received a conditional offer last week to study Child Nursing at the University of Surrey next September - I'm so excited :biggrin:

What would you say have been the best bits and hardest bits of your training so far?
Reply 7
Anything? Okay...,

A child is 8 months old and presents with a barking cough and stridor. Doctor F prescribes 40mg of dexamethasone and then quickly walks out of the unit.

Why might this not be a good idea?
Original post by DrID
Anything? Okay...,

A child is 8 months old and presents with a barking cough and stridor. Doctor F prescribes 40mg of dexamethasone and then quickly walks out of the unit.

Why might this not be a good idea?

That's a bit harsh. I wouldn't expect a second year who has only done a few shifts in Paeds ED to know that...
Reply 9
That's a bit harsh. I wouldn't expect a second year who has only done a few shifts in Paeds ED to know that...

True. But then again it is croup season!

Take no notice of me lol
Original post by DrID
True. But then again it is croup season!

Take no notice of me lol

Probably more bronchiolitis than croup at the moment... That's what my ward is full of anyway.

P.S We don't give Dex very much, and without having a BNFC to hand, I'd say 40mg is just a little too much! I'd be bleeping Dr F immediately and asking them to come and represcribe!
Reply 11
Probably more bronchiolitis than croup at the moment... That's what my ward is full of anyway.

P.S We don't give Dex very much, and without having a BNFC to hand, I'd say 40mg is just a little too much! I'd be bleeping Dr F immediately and asking them to come and represcribe!

Absolutely right!! It's 150micrograms/kg in croup so it would be a 10x overdose. Well done :smile:

I'll be quiet now haha
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Hi! I received a conditional offer last week to study Child Nursing at the University of Surrey next September - I'm so excited :biggrin:

What would you say have been the best bits and hardest bits of your training so far?

HI omigoodness I'm so so happy for you well done!!!
my dream is to study child nursing at surrey!!
I will be applying next year so I was wondering if you have any tips or useful knowledge for the interview?
what will make me stand out?etc
I am currently doing the level 3 extended diploma in health and social care and aim to get all distinction stars (which is highest possible grade) and I am also going to be volunteering! I know I don't know you but congratulations!!
Original post by millie99101
HI omigoodness I'm so so happy for you well done!!!
my dream is to study child nursing at surrey!!
I will be applying next year so I was wondering if you have any tips or useful knowledge for the interview?
what will make me stand out?etc
I am currently doing the level 3 extended diploma in health and social care and aim to get all distinction stars (which is highest possible grade) and I am also going to be volunteering! I know I don't know you but congratulations!!

Aww bless you, thank you so much! I'm still a bit in shock, it's my first choice and will be my firm so I am extremely excited :biggrin: Just bear with me and I'll PM you with some tips to the application process in a little bit so we don't hijack the OPs thread :smile:
Aww bless you, thank you so much! I'm still a bit in shock, it's my first choice and will be my firm so I am extremely excited :biggrin: Just bear with me and I'll PM you with some tips to the application process in a little bit so we don't hijack the OPs thread :smile:

Okay thank you so much! :smile: :smile: x
Reply 15
Hi .. Well done on getting a place 😄😄😳 bet ur over the moon! I have am interview next week also and wondered if u could give me any tips? I am so nervous! How was the literacy and numeracy test? Xxx
Reply 16

Did you ever get nervous like when you inject a needle on someone.My hands tremble :ashamed2:, has that ever happened to you and is there a way to calm yourself down and stop your hands from shaking? any tips??
Hello, I've applied for child nursing - I applied on the 7th of November, and so far I haven't heard of anything, im predicted AAB in health and social care (double) and photography, what's your view on this? And also ED is my dream ward to work on, I love the rush and everything! :smile:
How are you finding learning about science--y type things, is it difficult?
Hey guys,

I am doing a levels in biology, english language and psychology and have just sent off my application for child nursing. i was wondering if any of you could give me some tips for the interview please? thanks so much!! xx

Quick Reply

Latest