The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lambert87
Yep, they publish them... have a look :smile:

Where do they normally do that? One of the unis I'm applying to makes it nearly impossible to find the course page so finding their statistics is even harder!
Original post by Aemiliana
Where do they normally do that? One of the unis I'm applying to makes it nearly impossible to find the course page so finding their statistics is even harder!

I asked them and they sent me a link to where their results were :smile:
Hope you hear good things from it! What did the interview consist of?

Yeah the timed questions are what let me down too. I'm trying to work on it but it feels like it's something that's not going to improve much (for me anyway). It's not as though we're going to have to work out the cost of imported textbooks or how long a journey will take without a calculator (or Google maps!) when we're actually teaching either.

And that's only 1 mark off a pass so you're close!

They gave us a tour of the department and a mini introduction to the course before interviewing. For the interview you had to prepare a small presentation in advance based off something from the curriculum, I was really nervous for that but it went fine in the end. Then they asked me some questions based off my personal statement and presentation, as well as some "what would you do in this situation" questions relating to teaching. It went quite quickly and wasn't too nerve-wracking.

I think I'm just a really slow writer and since you can't use a calculator in the timed bit (apparently) that might put me at a disadvantage. Is the pass mark 61% then? I keep hearing so many different ones!
Haha thanks mate... Just been doing a lot of prep for them..

Yeah got the one I wanted.. How's yours coming along?

Banging my head comes to mind no responses as of yet, but I only put the application in on wednesday afternoon. So hoping that next week will be productive, its already a busy week for me with an initial day at one school which is the lead school for one of my options.

I would have expected them to bite my hand off because of my subject being secondary computer science.

This year they had around 8-12 spots and only managed to fill 1.
Original post by gentlegiant
Banging my head comes to mind no responses as of yet, but I only put the application in on wednesday afternoon. So hoping that next week will be productive, its already a busy week for me with an initial day at one school which is the lead school for one of my options.

I would have expected them to bite my hand off because of my subject being secondary computer science.

This year they had around 8-12 spots and only managed to fill 1.

Give it time mate, your clearly very intelligent (by the way you act) and passionate about teaching!!

You will definitely get in
Hey all,

I have bought a yearly subscription to the TES magazine... I appreciate not everyone can afford this, so I am more than willing to download them and share?

Let me know if you want it?

Hey! Does this include the success rates of PGCE's in various unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know the number of people unis take in for their PGCE? I know it varies but am unable to find any information online!! Would be good to have a rough idea of what the chances are to be accepted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simplysweet01
Does anyone know the number of people unis take in for their PGCE? I know it varies but am unable to find any information online!! Would be good to have a rough idea of what the chances are to be accepted

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've changed it this year - there's an overall limit on the national numbers but not one per uni.

Having said that, it appears that the unis for my subject have agreed between them how many they'll take. There are only 3 of them though!
Oh I see thank you! Don't suppose you know where I can find the overall figures or any information linked to secondary English??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simplysweet01
Oh I see thank you! Don't suppose you know where I can find the overall figures or any information linked to secondary English??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this is the right set of documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-itt-recruitment-controls

Credit to kizzz! who originally linked the documents in this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone got an interview for secondary music at Cambridge?
I just had to rearrange my skills tests because I have a fever and there's no way I'll be well quickly enough to revise properly - at the moment I'm only getting 1 mark into a pass for the numeracy paper and I don't want to risk it.

If anyone is in a similar position and has to rearrange theirs, there's an option on Track to update when you're taking them - just click on 'Main Menu' and then there's an option for the skills tests.
I'm still waiting on my second reference which she said would be completed by Friday. It's starting to stress me out because I see people getting interviews and even offers while I'm still sat here like 'well, I'm GOING to apply if you'll just wait...'
I rejected an interview Friday (didn't really want the uni) so I've officially accepted another Uni!!! I'm going to be TEACHER yey!!!!
I rejected an interview Friday (didn't really want the uni) so I've officially accepted another Uni!!! I'm going to be TEACHER yey!!!!

Congratulations, well done and well deserved! Now the real fun begins!!
Original post by magicmaiden
Congratulations, well done and well deserved! Now the real fun begins!!

Thanks a lot :smile:

Hows yours?
Reply 1296

I've just been reading through everyone's comments and stuff for the past wee while, and following all your stories. Lambert well bloody done, I'm very happy and very envious of you! Where are you going to? It's chemistry isn't it? Do you live near where you are going or will you have to move?

I have an interview next Friday, £250 for the train, so nervous (I'm hoping it's not a total waste, but I did choose to apply at the complete opposite end of the country!). I have to do a 25 minute teach, literacy test (no bother hopefully), class observations and then a formal interview which assesses your knowledge on education and teaching and stuff. To top it all off I've been in hospital for over a week last week, so feeling very weak and now all this! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I hope it goes well. So if anyone has any tips at all, no matter how wee, please fire them out!
Original post by fergi
I've just been reading through everyone's comments and stuff for the past wee while, and following all your stories. Lambert well bloody done, I'm very happy and very envious of you! Where are you going to? It's chemistry isn't it? Do you live near where you are going or will you have to move?

I have an interview next Friday, £250 for the train, so nervous (I'm hoping it's not a total waste, but I did choose to apply at the complete opposite end of the country!). I have to do a 25 minute teach, literacy test (no bother hopefully), class observations and then a formal interview which assesses your knowledge on education and teaching and stuff. To top it all off I've been in hospital for over a week last week, so feeling very weak and now all this! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I hope it goes well. So if anyone has any tips at all, no matter how wee, please fire them out!

Hey,

Thanks a lot :smile: much appreciated....

Yeah it's Chemistry and luckily I live near the University I am going to... Where is your interview? what subject?

You will ace it :smile: Have you been reading the TES magazines?
Reply 1298
Hey,

Thanks a lot :smile: much appreciated....

Yeah it's Chemistry and luckily I live near the University I am going to... Where is your interview? what subject?

You will ace it :smile: Have you been reading the TES magazines?

It's in Cornwall, for History, so quite an oversubscribed subject, so I'm pretty nervous for that alone, I will be against a lot of people!

I have not been reading the TES magazines yet, working on my teaching episode at the moment and I'll cram as much as possible in the next few days and hope I absorb some things.... god I hope I know enough to speak confidently on whatever they talk about! How did you find that part of your interview? What kind of questions were they asking about in the formal interview part?

Thanks for your optimism!
I think this is the right set of documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-itt-recruitment-controls

Credit to kizzz! who originally linked the documents in this thread.

Thank you very much!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending