The Student Room Group

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OliviaJH
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

Mocks French: A , English lang:C Maths:A RE: F History:A (we done the science mocks in class so dont really remember the grades)
Real: Fr:A* Eng lang: B Maths:A* RE: A* History: A

Just revise for the real exams. Mocks don't count for anything.
I barely remember my GCSE mocks, but if I remember my grades correctly I think I got all Cs, save for a D in Physics and a barely-there A in History.

I finished in Y11 with a Distinction, 2 A*s, 4 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs. Part of that was due to me giving myself a kick up the bum and putting in the work needed, part of it was due to the national grade boundaries being slightly lower than usual.
Mocks: 4A*s, 1A, 1B, 1C, 3D, 1F
Real Exams: 6A*s, 4A's, 1B

Subject: mock grade/ real exam grade

RE/biology/chemistry/physics: A*/A*
Maths:B/A*
Further Maths:A/A*
Art:C/A*
English Lit/Lang: D/A
History: D/A
French:F/B

Got A*s in all english and history exams, but coursework pulled grade down to A's.
Got too confident for FM and tried to cram.
Missed A*s in english lang/lit, history and FM by 1 or 2 marks.
For anyone who thinks moving from a B to an A or from a D to a C is impossible, I moved from C's and D's in mocks to A*s in the real exams. Work hard :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
you know for your mocks do they add you coursework/controlled result to ur mock exam score to give u an overall grade for that suubject
for example
in my English coursework I got an A so when i do my mock in it
will they combine the score and give me an overall grade for it
Original post by Helpmepickone
you know for your mocks do they add you coursework/controlled result to ur mock exam score to give u an overall grade for that suubject
for example
in my English coursework I got an A so when i do my mock in it
will they combine the score and give me an overall grade for it

My school didn't do that, since we were still doing controlled assessments
Original post by vd12345
My school didn't do that, since we were still doing controlled assessments

say if we finished it for a particular subject
say if we finished it for a particular subject

Varies from school to school i guess. I assume they'd include it, if you have. Our english teacher did tell us what we would have gotten by combining the score, but most of us did retakes on CA's anyways. The official mock score on our reports was not a combination
Original post by vd12345
Varies from school to school i guess. I assume they'd include it, if you have. Our english teacher did tell us what we would have gotten by combining the score, but most of us did retakes on CA's anyways.

yh we finished our retakes on it and everything
and got like a final grade on it
which i got an A
so what i will i need in the exam to get a C overall
bare in mind i'm doing higher tier
so after a D its a U
I got 2 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs in my mocks. We didn't do mocks in English language or literature because we had a controlled assessment a week or so after mocks, so they didn't think it was fair to do both. My final GCSE results were 3 A*s and 6 As and I went up a grade in three subjects, which I was pleased about.
Original post by horsewithnoname
I got 2 A*s, 3 As, and 2 Bs in my mocks. We didn't do mocks in English language or literature because we had a controlled assessment a week or so after mocks, so they didn't think it was fair to do both. My final GCSE results were 3 A*s and 6 As and I went up a grade in three subjects, which I was pleased about.

what were the subjects u went up in?
what were the subjects u went up in?

I went up from Bs in RE and history to As in both. Biology went from an A to an A*
Mocks- 2A* or 1A* and a mixture of B's and A's
Real: 7A*s 4A's #Bossedit
Original post by horsewithnoname
I went up from Bs in RE and history to As in both. Biology went from an A to an A*

well done
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

It's been like two years since I took mine but I did better in my real exams than my mocks (well, all except History where I got a B in the real thing and an A in the mocks) Tbh, if you put in the work towards it, it shouldn't be too hard to pick yourself up and get higher grades :smile:
And as you've said, you've had other things going on, that's obviously going to contribute to you lack of confidence so don't take these mocks too seriously, but when you do get your marks back, just take them back and see where you need to improve on :smile: It helped me, so I don't know why it shouldn't help you XD
2A*, 5a's, 3b's in Mocks, 9a* 1a in real thing.
Mostly A's/A*'s in mocks, mostly B's in real exams. Didn't revise for either.
Mocks: 2 As, 7 Bs, F.

Real: 9 A*, 1 A.

And yes, i got F in the physics mock and an A* in the real exam. 😀
Hey so for what it's worth I didn't do amazingly in my mocks and I still did pretty good in my real exams, racking up a cheeky 8 A*'s and 3 A's. Remember that if you could get perfect marks before you finish the courses their would be little to no point of them. I got a D in my Latin mock in January Year 11 and still managed to get a comfortable A* - and I think if I can do it anyone can. There wasn't much natural ability there just the motivation to keep working at it (I mean I got a D guys.) If you can get B's and A's in Year 10 then you're flying towards doing fantastic and the A*'s will come. I promise. Keep your head up :smile:
Got 10 A*, 2 A in my mocks and 11 A*, 1A in real thing. Got the A in RS for my real and my mock - bit irritating but was amazed! Miraculously got A* in Further Maths - A in the mock but predicted a C!

I can't really remember except for History - got an F in the mock, was strongly advised to drop it but came out with an A in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest