The Student Room Group

Nottingham GEM (A101) 2016 Entry

Hey everyone,

Since GAMSAT results have just been released I thought it was a good time to start a thread for Notts GEM applicants.

I've seen on another thread that Nottingham will start sending out decisions sometime next week so hopefully we'll start hearing about cutoffs soon.

Good Luck everyone!

2005: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 61 or above
2006: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 62 or above
2007: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 61 or above
2008: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 60 or above
2009: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 58 or above
2010: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 60 or above
2011: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 61 or above
2012: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 59 or above (64 for those with 2:2 degree)
2013: same as the year before
2014: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 59 or above (64 for those with a 2:2 degree)
2015: 61 for applicants with 2:1 honours degree (or above including any higher qualification such as a Masters), and 66 for applicants with a 2:2 honours degree
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:

The GAMSAT cut off scores for 2016 have been set at 60 for applicants with a 2:1 honours degree or above (including Masters or above), and 65 for applicants with a 2:2 honours degree.

All applicants are also required to meet the section cut off scores; a minimum of 55 in section 2, 55 in section 1 or 3 and 50 in the remaining section.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I emailed admissions and was told they will announce the cut off on Monday. And was told they are sending invites out by mid next week (by post boooo)

Original post by Natha_Lite
Hey everyone,

Since GAMSAT results have just been released I thought it was a good time to start a thread for Notts GEM applicants.

I've seen on another thread that Nottingham will start sending out decisions sometime next week so hopefully we'll start hearing about cutoffs soon.

I'm a final year Biomed student, predicted a 2:1. My GAMSAT result was 65, 56, 63 and an overall score of 61, which is just on the edge of potential cutoffs.

2005: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 61 or above
2006: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 62 or above
2007: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 61 or above
2008: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 60 or above
2009: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 58 or above
2010: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 60 or above
2011: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 61 or above
2012: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 59 or above (64 for those with 2:2 degree)
2013: same as the year before
2014: achieved an overall GAMSAT score of 59 or above (64 for those with a 2:2 degree)
2015: 61 for applicants with 2:1 honours degree (or above including any higher qualification such as a Masters), and 66 for applicants with a 2:2 honours degree
Original post by neuronerd
I emailed admissions and was told they will announce the cut off on Monday. And was told they are sending invites out by mid next week (by post boooo)

Ahh not too long now then!
I got 43 overall, should I just lose hope now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlackDiary
I got 43 overall, should I just lose hope now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I believe that you need to get a minimum of 55 in section 2, and then a minimum of 55 and 50 in the other two sections. This is before they do the cut off which has never been lower than 58. I'm sorry.
Unfortunately I believe that you need to get a minimum of 55 in section 2, and then a minimum of 55 and 50 in the other two sections. This is before they do the cut off which has never been lower than 58. I'm sorry.

Thanks. Any books u would like to recommend for gamsat. Next year going to be my 5th year applying :/ I got everything else in terms of requirement, but the entry tests always puts me down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Cutoff this year is 60.
Reply 7
I've got 61 so here's hoping for an interview!! Never thought I'd actually get this far. Thought I'd failed GAMSAT. What's everyone doing for interview prep? I'm considering forking out for an interview course.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisagee10
I've got 61 so here's hoping for an interview!! Never thought I'd actually get this far. Thought I'd failed GAMSAT. What's everyone doing for interview prep? I'm considering forking out for an interview course.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I'd look around the internet for some free interview prep and I think YouTube has a few useful videos.
I'm also hoping to arrange some interview practice at my uni since I think they run some practice sessions.
Reply 9
hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the work experience forms looks like that notts send out before interviews? How many references do they ask for and what exactly do we have to fill in and whether they themselves contact the referees?

thanks!
I was wondering the same thing.Got a bit of a shock when Warwick confirmed that my experience in my job (admin role) counts for nada, so have arranged with the volunteer service where I work to cram in 70 hours before Jan. If Nottingham say the same, I'm a bit nervous they will score me on numbers of hours completed so far...
I think you may find the same at nottingham. The website clearly indicates caring roles such as healthcare assistants or other front line patient based roles. Warwick also indicated that roles needed to be person-centred. I have learnt so much being based in hospital wards working directly with patients, my current (higher paid - we have fees to save up for!) admin role gives me a fraction of the same insight.

You need to get something asap (i believe we have until dec to fill them out) even if it is just having coffee with old ladies or running errands in the community, go be with vunerable people and help make their day a bit brighter.
I do see why they run it this way. Most admin staff don't have much patient contact really, and when they do it's usually not ongoing. But I do, and when I found out that work experience would be covered at interview, I assumed it would be a qualitative thing - actually talking about my experiences. I didn't expect it to be some kind of score based on doing x many hours. Which seems kind of reductive and not exactly in the spirit of things.

As it is, I'm going to have to take time away from my job - where I have actual responsibilities to patients - in order to fulfil this arbitrary number of hours giving a complementary service! I think it's an absolute nonsense to say, as Warwick do, that volunteering on a ward shows you the 'unpleasant aspects of medicine'. That's the good bit! When as a volunteer would you ever: Make a mistake and have to apologise to a patient; have to beg a consultant to talk to a patient; take abuse from a patient who you can't ignore because you have a duty of care to them; feel like you were going to fail someone because of your workload?
I would feel differently if any doctors I've known had said that volunteering experience had made a really profound difference to them.

It's a bit of a bugbear of mine to be honest. It's precisely because there's no sense of non-clinical staff having care built into their jobs, that so many patients have such a terrible experience dealing with the NHS outside of an acute setting.

I would have loved to get a job as an HCA or A&e assistant or something this year, but as you say it pays peanuts and I wouldn't have been able to save enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I think you may find the same at nottingham. The website clearly indicates caring roles such as healthcare assistants or other front line patient based roles. Warwick also indicated that roles needed to be person-centred. I have learnt so much being based in hospital wards working directly with patients, my current (higher paid - we have fees to save up for!) admin role gives me a fraction of the same insight.

You need to get something asap (i believe we have until dec to fill them out) even if it is just having coffee with old ladies or running errands in the community, go be with vunerable people and help make their day a bit brighter.

I am sorry. I know that this is a thread for graduate applicants only but I just wanted to know if undergraduate applicants also get this and have to do a certain amount of work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThomasPassion
I do see why they run it this way. Most admin staff don't have much patient contact really, and when they do it's usually not ongoing. But I do, and when I found out that work experience would be covered at interview, I assumed it would be a qualitative thing - actually talking about my experiences. I didn't expect it to be some kind of score based on doing x many hours. Which seems kind of reductive and not exactly in the spirit of things.

As it is, I'm going to have to take time away from my job - where I have actual responsibilities to patients - in order to fulfil this arbitrary number of hours giving a complementary service! I think it's an absolute nonsense to say, as Warwick do, that volunteering on a ward shows you the 'unpleasant aspects of medicine'. That's the good bit! When as a volunteer would you ever: Make a mistake and have to apologise to a patient; have to beg a consultant to talk to a patient; take abuse from a patient who you can't ignore because you have a duty of care to them; feel like you were going to fail someone because of your workload?
I would feel differently if any doctors I've known had said that volunteering experience had made a really profound difference to them.

It's a bit of a bugbear of mine to be honest. It's precisely because there's no sense of non-clinical staff having care built into their jobs, that so many patients have such a terrible experience dealing with the NHS outside of an acute setting.

I would have loved to get a job as an HCA or A&e assistant or something this year, but as you say it pays peanuts and I wouldn't have been able to save enough.

What sort of job are you doing at the moment, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by temid
I am sorry. I know that this is a thread for graduate applicants only but I just wanted to know if undergraduate applicants also get this and have to do a certain amount of work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No med schools aren't as hard on undergraduate applicants with regards to experience they mainly look for observation and minor voluntary I believe the more you have though the better it is for you but don't let it interfere with you studies. You should look at the website or email the admissions team of your unis though to double check

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems Nottingham have started sending out interview offers to those applying to their 5 year programme! Has anyone heard anything for GEP?
Original post by Ethereal Consort
Seems Nottingham have started sending out interview offers to those applying to their 5 year programme! Has anyone heard anything for GEP?

I just got an email to complete a fee status questionnaire and there have been some rejections (looking at the GAMSAT thread), but apart from that nothing.
Original post by Ethereal Consort

Nothing. After the excitement of GAMSAT results week everything's gone a bit quiet... Dying to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel the same! It's been over a week of being in limbo 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending