The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure whether knowing the average was 43 makes gives me hope or prepares me for the worst...
Original post by Karina_xo
I think that's a little harsh I would ask the same question- I know why I want to study my course and why at Oxford - I want to go to one of the best uni's in the world, and I want to study human sciences because I find it interesting. I know why I want these things but I don't know that these are the right answers to give to an interviewer - I don't know what they're looking for, they probably hear this exact thing from everyone so I would wanna know what other people are thinking of answering to this question to see if there's a way to set myself apart. Doesn't mean I or the person asking this question shouldn't have aplird

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that might have sounded a bit harsh. What I meant is that by this time you should know why you wanna go there; just be confident and be you. If there's something that interests you about the course - say it! They are looking for general interest in the subject and not over prepared answers like 'I am passionated about this subject since the study of human sciences attempts to expand and enlighten the human being's knowledge of their existence [...] (yes, I did use wikipedia :biggrin:)
Anyone know when oriental studies interviews will be given out? :/
Original post by learner248
Anyone know when oriental studies interviews will be given out? :/

Waiting for this, too. It'll be between now and the 1st of December, just got to suck it up and hold tight! I suppose it takes a bit longer because they have all our written work to go over before making decisions.

On the bright side, last year around 80% of Oriental studies applicants for interviews, so look positive! :smile:
Original post by Ivoryfall
Waiting for this, too. It'll be between now and the 1st of December, just got to suck it up and hold tight! I suppose it takes a bit longer because they have all our written work to go over before making decisions.

On the bright side, last year around 80% of Oriental studies applicants for interviews, so look positive! :smile:

Oh I know! The wait is killing me! haha good luck :smile:
Reply 4965
Original post by Imaanc
Hahahaha, I need some other people to feel as nervous as me! :smile: It could still take a while for them to let us know though. Apparently the average is 43 for the MAT this year.

And what is roughly estimated min of shortlisted candidates? around 70? it will be sufficient? what's your predictions?

When tomorrow you will be given an interview invitation please write here, then i'll know if it is the end or just beginning :biggrin:
Original post by CJaneH
Good luck to you too! Which college have you applied to? :smile:

I've applied to Oriel because I have a Choral Scholarship there should I get in :smile: - what about you? x
Original post by PollaPulchra197
I've applied to Oriel because I have a Choral Scholarship there should I get in :smile: - what about you? x

Keble x
Original post by kateaustins
Can someone please bitch about this year's LNAT with me?

Thanks.

Facial hair in the armed forces... That question though...

That question seems familiar...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by not you
hmm I found a Kaplan one a lot easier than the past papers, although I only did one my friend shared with me since he went on the Kaplan course.

Yeah I noticed that with Kaplan as well, but a similar situation happened with my UKCAT and Kaplan actually happened to be the most representative of my actual test day performance so you never know. Anyway, we can only wait and see
Original post by gkallikas
Yeah I noticed that with Kaplan as well, but a similar situation happened with my UKCAT and Kaplan actually happened to be the most representative of my actual test day performance so you never know. Anyway, we can only wait and see

103% true UKCAT official mocks were ridiculous
Well good luck with your application, hopefully I'll see you there on interview day and freshers week :tongue:
Original post by mate8
And what is roughly estimated min of shortlisted candidates? around 70? it will be sufficient? what's your predictions?

When tomorrow you will be given an interview invitation please write here, then i'll know if it is the end or just beginning :biggrin:

70 should be enough. Well at least I hope so, since I only have 70+. Any higher cutoff and I won't get an interview. They only finished marking, so no interview will be sent out until a few more days.
Not entirely sure about an 'average mark', but after hearing from teachers and trawling the Oxford website, it seems that the 'pass mark' fluctuates each year. That is to say, the pass mark is the cutoff point which separates those who will get an interview and those who won't, and it seems to be in the region of 55-70 marks. I suppose this is determined by the perceived difficulty of the paper, as well as the average mark awarded to applicants (which is never disclosed beyond the walls of Oxford).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4973
Has anybody else got an interview yet??
Would it be worth starting a thread purely for people to post as they get offers? No chat, just course, college, subject and date offer received? Wondering if it might help?
Would it be worth starting a thread purely for people to post as they get offers? No chat, just course, college, subject and date offer received? Wondering if it might help?

That might be helpful for interview holders, remember an interview doesn't guarantee an offer! (I'm not sure if you meant to say interview holders).
Reply 4976

Could be useful
Please start one
Reply 4977
Should also start an interview holder thread
Original post by not you
103% true UKCAT official mocks were ridiculous
Well good luck with your application, hopefully I'll see you there on interview day and freshers week :tongue:

Yup, same here! Good luck!
Reply 4979
Original post by vildeung
I got an interview!!!!

Well done you. Which college and course?

Latest

Trending

Trending