The Student Room Group

I don't have primary school experience

Hi!
I graduated uni in July. I did a placement during uni at a secondary school and loved it. However I also have a part time job working with younger children which I also thoroughly enjoyed, but I was convinced teaching secondary was for me. As I was preparing my application, I had a complete change of heart and now want to do primary teaching instead. I know this makes me sound indecisive, but I feel confident that teaching would be good for me and now I've weighed up the pros and cons, I feel secure in moving into Primary Teaching instead.

However, now I don't have experience in a primary school! I'm doing my best to find some, but haven't been able to find a school that will allow me to even just observe lessons :frown: The rest I haven't heard back from. TBF I haven't been looking for too long, so there's still hope. I'm just concerned if I'll even be able to apply for training this year?? I know many training programmes require at least 10 days primary school experience before even applying, which I feel like I won't be able to achieve. I know some don't specify this though, and just specify relevant experience (which I do have) but I'm still concerned I'm going to be incredibly held back by it.

Has anybody else applied with similarly limited experience?? Were you successful??
I applied late last year (March) with some experience from a year ago and got one interview. Im applying again this year after working as an associate teacher in a secondary school and volunteering at Cubs. So similarly limited amount of experience but its impossible for me to get into a school as i work term time. Im clinging to the fact that some providers give you a conditional offer on the condition that you gain experience in a primary school. Apply, the worst that will happen is you have to wait til next year when you have been able to get experience 😊
Original post by swamphag
Hi!
I graduated uni in July. I did a placement during uni at a secondary school and loved it. However I also have a part time job working with younger children which I also thoroughly enjoyed, but I was convinced teaching secondary was for me. As I was preparing my application, I had a complete change of heart and now want to do primary teaching instead. I know this makes me sound indecisive, but I feel confident that teaching would be good for me and now I've weighed up the pros and cons, I feel secure in moving into Primary Teaching instead.

However, now I don't have experience in a primary school! I'm doing my best to find some, but haven't been able to find a school that will allow me to even just observe lessons :frown: The rest I haven't heard back from. TBF I haven't been looking for too long, so there's still hope. I'm just concerned if I'll even be able to apply for training this year?? I know many training programmes require at least 10 days primary school experience before even applying, which I feel like I won't be able to achieve. I know some don't specify this though, and just specify relevant experience (which I do have) but I'm still concerned I'm going to be incredibly held back by it.

Has anybody else applied with similarly limited experience?? Were you successful??

I applied last year with only 4 days in a primary school, and a lot of experience with children in other settings. I'm now on a SD course - it isn't impossible.

You might find that having secondary school experience and having worked with primary aged children elsewhere is enough. If it isn't, then even so there could be providers that will offer you a place without it, as long as you get experience at some point before the course begins.

For me, they didn't ask me to get any extra experience, but I know someone else on the course had to. However, my journey wasn't as easy as some people (but easier than others) - I ended up in Apply 2. On the other hand, I ended up on a course that actually, I believe is the right place for me to be, and I wouldn't have ended up there if I hadn't been in Apply 2.

Go for it!!!
Reply 3
Thanks to both of you for answering :smile:

Are you applying for primary too, shannonbeth? I'm hoping the same thing, just gonna keep on asking schools and hopefully one will agree to it!

And that's really heartening, beanbrain! Well done for getting on a course :smile: sorry if this sounds clueless but when you applied, you picked a school based route, right? i'm also thinking of schools direct, but i'm worried it'll be more competitive compared to the uni placements since it's only one school if u get me? but who knows, am just gonna try my best haha.

Are you applying for primary too, shannonbeth? I'm hoping the same thing, just gonna keep on asking schools and hopefully one will agree to it! QUOTE]

I am, yeah. I will be able to leave my job in June-ish to be able to do a few solid weeks volunteering in a primary school so long as the provider will give me the conditional offer on that basis. But I know what you mean some people manage to get loads of replies about volunteering and I have sent 27 emails with 0 replies, although I get I was more awkward than most with having a term time job.
Reply 5
[QUOTE="shannonbeth;60588701"]

Are you applying for primary too, shannonbeth? I'm hoping the same thing, just gonna keep on asking schools and hopefully one will agree to it! QUOTE]

I am, yeah. I will be able to leave my job in June-ish to be able to do a few solid weeks volunteering in a primary school so long as the provider will give me the conditional offer on that basis. But I know what you mean some people manage to get loads of replies about volunteering and I have sent 27 emails with 0 replies, although I get I was more awkward than most with having a term time job.

I managed to get a reply from an email I sent and one reply from a letter. The school that I sent a letter to told me that emails can get lost with the secretary, whereas letters land on the headteachers desk so that's a better way to get in contact. And also they like to have a hard copy for some reason so might be an idea to send a letter? Or follow up some of the emails you've sent with a phone call. Either they'll just fob you off or they'll tell what the procedure is and what the next steps will be :smile:

Also most schools I've found are pretty flexible to your needs. They've always asked me what days etc that I can do rather than the other way round.

And that's really heartening, beanbrain! Well done for getting on a course :smile: sorry if this sounds clueless but when you applied, you picked a school based route, right? i'm also thinking of schools direct, but i'm worried it'll be more competitive compared to the uni placements since it's only one school if u get me? but who knows, am just gonna try my best haha.

Yep, I'm on a primary School Direct course, currently half way through the first term. It was the only way I wanted to do my PGCE, I love the hands on aspect and the relationship that I have with the children in my class.

In terms of competition, I don't think you are viewing it in perspective - universities have hundreds of places, and THOUSANDS of applicants. School Direct courses have fewer places, but generally speaking they also have fewer applicants. From what I have seen, the proportion of applicants to places are similar enough that it isn't something you should be concerned with. Apply for what you feel is best for you!

Also, a lot of people have said that School Direct courses seem to take people with less experience. I know that me and another person on my course had incredibly limited experience in schools, but plenty of experience with children. Comparably, university courses have so many applicants that sometimes the only way they can narrow down who to interview is by whittling away the people with less experience.

If you have any questions about School Direct courses, I can give you some details about my experience, although you should know that every course is different, sometimes remarkably so!
Reply 7
Original post by beanbrain
Yep, I'm on a primary School Direct course, currently half way through the first term. It was the only way I wanted to do my PGCE, I love the hands on aspect and the relationship that I have with the children in my class.

In terms of competition, I don't think you are viewing it in perspective - universities have hundreds of places, and THOUSANDS of applicants. School Direct courses have fewer places, but generally speaking they also have fewer applicants. From what I have seen, the proportion of applicants to places are similar enough that it isn't something you should be concerned with. Apply for what you feel is best for you!

Also, a lot of people have said that School Direct courses seem to take people with less experience. I know that me and another person on my course had incredibly limited experience in schools, but plenty of experience with children. Comparably, university courses have so many applicants that sometimes the only way they can narrow down who to interview is by whittling away the people with less experience.

If you have any questions about School Direct courses, I can give you some details about my experience, although you should know that every course is different, sometimes remarkably so!

Oh okay, that's quite good to know, I didn't consider those factors! I think every course I've been interested in has been School Direct and it does seem like the best option for me. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but thank you. I might ask if my application goes anywhere!

Also I got an email from a school (a super local one too, which would be perfect for me) on Thursday night requesting a meeting to discuss my 'requirements'. i replied with my availability (which is basically all week) buuut haven't heard anything back, hopefully just cos it's been the weekend. Gah, I just really hope they'll let me do something :erm:
Reply 8
Oh okay, that's quite good to know, I didn't consider those factors! I think every course I've been interested in has been School Direct and it does seem like the best option for me. I can't think of any specific questions right now, but thank you. I might ask if my application goes anywhere!

Also I got an email from a school (a super local one too, which would be perfect for me) on Thursday night requesting a meeting to discuss my 'requirements'. i replied with my availability (which is basically all week) buuut haven't heard anything back, hopefully just cos it's been the weekend. Gah, I just really hope they'll let me do something :erm:

That sounds positive! If you have a CRB/DBS check make sure you take it with you as it can get the ball rolling faster. If you don't then they may need to apply for one for you, make sure you mention that they can apply for a free one for volunteers. Although some schools aren't that bothered as one just told me as long as I'm not left alone with the children then I don't need one!
Reply 9
Original post by kizzz!
That sounds positive! If you have a CRB/DBS check make sure you take it with you as it can get the ball rolling faster. If you don't then they may need to apply for one for you, make sure you mention that they can apply for a free one for volunteers. Although some schools aren't that bothered as one just told me as long as I'm not left alone with the children then I don't need one!

It turned out to be positive as I called them up today and they asked me to come in, and I got a tour of the school and had my CRB looked at. Then they said, 'Okay, you can come in tomorrow at half 8, you're going to be with a year 2 class' so I'm SO relieved, since now I might be able to get a good few days experience before I submit my application. I just really need to finish my personal statement and hope everything will be good enough to at least get an interview :B
Reply 10
It turned out to be positive as I called them up today and they asked me to come in, and I got a tour of the school and had my CRB looked at. Then they said, 'Okay, you can come in tomorrow at half 8, you're going to be with a year 2 class' so I'm SO relieved, since now I might be able to get a good few days experience before I submit my application. I just really need to finish my personal statement and hope everything will be good enough to at least get an interview :B

Yey! I'm glad it's turned out well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending