The Student Room Group

So, Muslims, why won't you ever condemn terrorist attacks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UnknownDude
309 articles for gaza yet more than 13,000 articles for Paris...

Actually it is more than 309 you should have kept scrolling. There are pages and pages.

So you have been proven wrong on all accounts. People care about Gaza and the global media report on it.

And here is a story about both Gaza and Paris.
Original post by DiddyDec
Actually it is more than 309 you should have kept scrolling. There are pages and pages.

So you have been proven wrong on all accounts. People care about Gaza and the global media report on it.

And here is a story about both Gaza and Paris.

Oh. Well done for finding one article from Israel about Gaza. But how comes Facebook doesn't have the Palestine flag? Or Youtube? Why is there no 24/7 coverage of the situation. Your right, Gaza is mentioned. As a column, as corn on a cob, as a side-dish, as chips, as olives, as coleslaw. While France is presented as the main dish, the meat, the chicken.
Oh. Well done for finding one article from Israel about Gaza. But how comes Facebook doesn't have the Palestine flag? Or Youtube? Why is there no 24/7 coverage of the situation. Your right, Gaza is mentioned. As a column, as corn on a cob, as a side-dish, as chips, as olives, as coleslaw. While France is presented as the main dish, the meat, the chicken.

Probably because it is a constant and Facebook want to stay out of the political arena. Gaza is a political mine field. Same goes for Youtube and Google maps.who doesn't label Palestine. There is 24/7 coverage, if you ever watch BBC News channel it is mentioned almost everyday.

What has happened in France is an anomaly and has happened on our doorstep. Of course it is going to be heavily reported on by Western Media. This sort of thing is not expected in the civilised western nations and taken the lives of hundred and destroyed the families of thousands, some our fellow countrymen. Do you not think that it deserves to be reported on?
What happened in Paris was an atrocity. But then again, the same thing happens on a larger scale in Gaza.

"but" is the point.
You accept that innocent people were killed in Paris (of course not relating it to Islam), but you don't accept that innocent people are killed by Palestinian terrorists. You are not ready just to express compassion, but start political trade. It's not surprise that almost 10% of Muslims in this poll support or don't condemn the Paris attack.
Original post by DiddyDec
Probably because it is a constant and Facebook want to stay out of the political arena. Gaza is a political mine field. Same goes for Youtube and Google maps.who doesn't label Palestine. There is 24/7 coverage, if you ever watch BBC News channel it is mentioned almost everyday.

What has happened in France is an anomaly and has happened on our doorstep. Of course it is going to be heavily reported on by Western Media. This sort of thing is not expected in the civilised western nations and taken the lives of hundred and destroyed the families of thousands, some our fellow countrymen. Do you not think that it deserves to be reported on?

I agree that it is a political mine field. Its a mine field where innocent people get killed, just like they did in Paris. Yet, let's not go there because those people don't count since it's political over there. And no, there isn't 24/7 coverage on BBC. That is false. As I said before it gets mentioned as side news every week (since innocent people are dying every week) but its side-news. Something that we just know, but don't care about.

Exactly. You have said it, it happened on our doorstep, thats why we should care. I fully understand this. But please don't start talking about Humanity if you dont give the same coverage to Gaza and Lebanon. And are you saying that the people living in Gaza and Lebanon aren't civilized? Last time I checked, they eat food and go to the toilet and care for one another.
Original post by admonit
"but" is the point.
You accept that innocent people were killed in Paris (of course not relating it to Islam), but you don't accept that innocent people are killed by Palestinian terrorists. You are not ready just to express compassion, but start political trade. It's not surprise that almost 10% of Muslims in this poll support or don't condemn the Paris attack.

Dunno, what your english grammar analysising skills are saying... but let me explain that sentence:

What happened in Paris is bad. However, worse things are happening in Gaza too. So, why is there more coverage in Paris than Gaza. Surely, the news would cover a big fire in London 24/7, rather than a small house fire in Hertfordshire? Surely the teacher would teach a topic nobody knows about rather than teach a topic everyone knows expect one person? I don't support the Paris attacks. I condemn them, just like I condemn Gaza killings. So, I'm stating that Paris in my heart isn't bigger than the Gaza Genocide.
Original post by scrotgrot
Let's show these trolls the strength of the Muslim response against Islamic terrorism, from individual young British Muslims to the largest Muslim organisations in the world.

Why do you presume that anybody who comments on the noticeable reluctance among a lot of Muslims to outrightly condemn these attacks and others is a troll? And why, while we're at it, do you assume that a TSR multiple-choice poll will be sufficient to disprove accusations that are fundamentally qualitative and not quantitative? I can think of quite a few users on this website who would vote 'I'm Muslim and condemn these attacks' but, from interactions that I've had with them, would actually say something like, 'Look, yesterday was a sad day across the world, not just Paris. There were attacks in Beirut and Nigeria too and let's not forget that the West funds terrorist groups that have destabilised the Middle East, hence causing these condemnable atrocities.' That, to me, reflects the most reluctant condemnation possible. This is actually a paraphrased version of a conversation I had with queen-bee yesterday and is clearly trying to deflect blame from IS to the maximum degree possible without either being on the fence or supporting it. It further asserts, on the basis of a bogus claim, that the West is somehow responsible for these attacks occurring, which is as close to apologising for IS as it gets in my view.

So while this is a valiant effort on your part to highlight the existence of the knee-jerk trolls who've been running amok on other threads, I'm afraid you've generalised and assumed a little too much to really contribute anything substantive to this issue. You may think you're some heroic anti-racist for opposing those groups of people that don't try to shake off the fact that this act was carried out by a religiously-motivated organisation, but I doubt you're going to get many reps from the more impartial TSR users.
(edited 8 years ago)
Dunno, what your english grammar analysising skills are say

I have low level of English, but I don't lie.
the Gaza Genocide.

And you are lying.

You continue use immoral propaganda comfortably escaping the number 10%.
Reply 68
Original post by IdeasForLife
You are simply thinking what you want to think of Muslims. You are just determined to think only the worse about them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/many-british-muslims-put-islam-first/
Original post by admonit
I have low level of English, but I don't lie.

And you are lying.

You continue use immoral propaganda comfortably escaping the number 10%.

Sorry if I offended your english :smile:

But what are you talking about immoral propaganda? The Israelis take over their land and want to wipe them out. Thats what all the fighting is about. But nobody cares. Clearly thats Genocide?
Reply 70
One thing that must absolutely happen more, is muslims condemning the islamic terrorist attacks
What i find more scary is there are people on the poll that agree with with Paris attacks. how can they? 132 innocent people were killed. there are 132 families in mourning tonight for their children, brothers, sister and parents. And that is only now, this number keeps increasing. 350 people are injured in hospitals. Please tell me how this is a GOOD thing? I am at a complete loss as to how killing innocent people is a good thing. People who have never had anything to do with war or fighting, that were just eating at a restaurant or at a concert. Its scary. Why can't the world be nice to itself, why does it find that people must kill innocent people?

Is it so hard to just get along?
Reply 72
Original post by Samonia
What i find more scary is there are people on the poll that agree with with Paris attacks. how can they? 132 innocent people were killed. there are 132 families in mourning tonight for their children, brothers, sister and parents. And that is only now, this number keeps increasing. 350 people are injured in hospitals. Please tell me how this is a GOOD thing? I am at a complete loss as to how killing innocent people is a good thing. People who have never had anything to do with war or fighting, that were just eating at a restaurant or at a concert. Its scary. Why can't the world be nice to itself, why does it find that people must kill innocent people?

Is it so hard to just get along?

They are most probably trolls, or could be anti islam and saying they agree to make islam look even worse.
Original post by xxvine
They are most probably trolls, or could be anti islam and saying they agree to make islam look even worse.

The scary thing is that even if these are trolls, there will still be people that agree with it. Even people that don't care either way are a little unnerving
Reply 74
Original post by Samonia
The scary thing is that even if these are trolls, there will still be people that agree with it. Even people that don't care either way are a little unnerving

but thats life

loads of people agree with barbaric things. even non muslims.
I don't think Muslims or anyone has any obligation to condemn or condone those attacks. It doesn't solve anything anyway.
Original post by Hydeman
Why do you presume that anybody who comments on the noticeable reluctance among a lot of Muslims to outrightly condemn these attacks and others is a troll? And why, while we're at it, do you assume that a TSR multiple-choice poll will be sufficient to disprove accusations that are fundamentally qualitative and not quantitative? I can think of quite a few users on this website who would vote 'I'm Muslim and condemn these attacks' but, from interactions that I've had with them, would actually say something like, 'Look, yesterday was a sad day across the world, not just Paris. There were attacks in Beirut and Nigeria too and let's not forget that the West funds terrorist groups that have destabilised the Middle East, hence causing these condemnable atrocities.' That, to me, reflects the most reluctant condemnation possible. This is actually a paraphrased version of a conversation I had with queen-bee yesterday and is clearly trying to deflect blame from IS to the maximum degree possible without either being on the fence or supporting it. It further asserts, on the basis of a bogus claim, that the West is somehow responsible for these attacks occurring, which is as close to apologising for IS as it gets in my view.

So while this is a valiant effort on your part to highlight the existence of the knee-jerk trolls who've been running amok on other threads, I'm afraid you've generalised and assumed a little too much to really contribute anything substantive to this issue. You may think you're some heroic anti-racist for opposing those groups of people that don't try to shake off the fact that this act was carried out by a religiously-motivated organisation, but I doubt you're going to get many reps from the more impartial TSR users.

Hey mate.
Would you say the West isn't responsible in any way (such as involvement in Middle East resulting in a backlash etc.)?
Have any underlying motivations been suggested for the attacks?
Original post by hellodave5
Hey mate.
Would you say the West isn't responsible in any way (such as involvement in Middle East resulting in a backlash etc.)?

Hi. I firmly believe that the blame for such an atrocity as this lies squarely at the door of the perpetrators and the ideology that motivated them. I don't intend to accept the argument that Western involvement in the Middle East renders the West culpable for terrorist attacks on its civilians. That's basically the 'eye for an eye' argument and I'm not a huge fan of it, to be honest. It's quite wrong to say that these people wouldn't do what they do if we weren't so mean to them -- resistance to terrorism is not the cause of it.

Have any underlying motivations been suggested for the attacks?

People seem to be claiming quite a lot of things without any real evidence ('they want us to alienate our Muslim population so they'll have recruits', 'they want us to retaliate so they can generate more resentment and hence more recruits' etc.) but the only reason cited by IS's media arm is that this was in retaliation for French airstrikes as part of the coalition against IS. There's no evidence as far as I can see for any other propositions. I'm happy for people to speculate so long as they don't then claim that we need to make national policy decisions based on this speculation because it is, in their minds, indisputable fact.
I agree that it is a political mine field. Its a mine field where innocent people get killed, just like they did in Paris. Yet, let's not go there because those people don't count since it's political over there. And no, there isn't 24/7 coverage on BBC. That is false. As I said before it gets mentioned as side news every week (since innocent people are dying every week) but its side-news. Something that we just know, but don't care about.

Exactly. You have said it, it happened on our doorstep, thats why we should care. I fully understand this. But please don't start talking about Humanity if you dont give the same coverage to Gaza and Lebanon. And are you saying that the people living in Gaza and Lebanon aren't civilized? Last time I checked, they eat food and go to the toilet and care for one another.

They aren't civilised nations. They are in the grips of war.
Reply 79
we Shia muslims try... another march coming up on December 9th in central London... get ready y'all (following images from London only... these marches happen twice annualy during the first and second month of the Islamic calendar and they happen all over the world!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending