The Student Room Group

Are religious people mean and less understanding about other people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellodave5
You seem like a decent chap who doesn't discriminate against anyone. Good on you mate.

I think the thing with that is a sort of a realisation or admission that they find their own sex attractive, in that they feel arousal from their own sex but not for the opposite sex (rather than making a quick judgement choice). You don't really choose what you are aroused by, but rather just are. There is quite a lot of literature on Google Scholar on it if you want to look it up, maybe terms like: 'biology of sexual preference'.

Just because we have different sexual organs and are clearly differentiated, differentiation is caused by hormonal factors and it can be said probably that all of us are somewhere on a scale of masculine-feminine regardless of which sex we are, due to variation in hormonal function etc. Though I'm not very knowledgeable on the specific processes, but I had that down as the gist.

I'm a girl, actually.

Call me ignorant or stubborn, but I still wouldn't believe in something my religion prohibits. That doesn't mean I shouldn't respect these people, though.
Also you said "you don't choose what you're aroused by, but rather just are". Being aroused by something doesn't mean you should act on that arousal. I could give religious arguments but they wouldn't be of any use in this case.
Agree and disagree because there are some mean and judgemental people but there are also other people who are willing to accept other people's idea.
This isn't just religious people. This is everyone.
Original post by yasminkattan
I'm a girl, actually.

Call me ignorant or stubborn, but I still wouldn't believe in something my religion prohibits. That doesn't mean I shouldn't respect these people, though.
Also you said "you don't choose what you're aroused by, but rather just are". Being aroused by something doesn't mean you should act on that arousal. I could give religious arguments but they wouldn't be of any use in this case.

Well it is at least good that you respect people regardless, though.

But what if religion tells you to slaughter a child to your god? Would you do that? What you say in essence is that you would. I wouldn't call it silly, just mindless... and sounds an awful lot like someone may have been brainwashed into ideals which are completely incongruent with their own, and acted on through a kind of dissonance.

Well yes there is some component in that you choose to not act on your feelings. But then, that doesn't make you not gay physiologically, and is just hiding yourself, essentially. Also there is also the point that our choices may not exactly be choices - but rather calculated responses to the situation and environment, mediated by individual differences in neurobiological structural physiology.

What religious arguments are there for homosexuality with any fair evidence? I assume the requirement of evidence bit is why that was of no use?
Reply 24
Well, then I will search for this evidence but I have yet to find any that is strong enough. When I was in school girls would wake up one day and decide they were lesbian. Others are "bisexual" and like to experiment with both sexes for the thrill of it, I'm assuming. I think it is a choice, and everyone can live as they wish, but I don't necessarily have to accept it, just as they might not accept my beliefs and lifestyle.
Also, men and women were made with different reproductive organs in order to reproduce. Homosexuals are unable to do this. That's not 'natural' to me.

But anyway, I honestly don't have anything against the people themselves. I have met gays before and they were nice people.

:smile:

You made a few assumptions there, so I'll make one in return; I'm assuming that you do not mean to be ignorant, so I'll educate you somewhat. As a bisexual person, I can promise you that it is no more of a choice than it is for you to be straight (if that's what you are), and we do not 'experiment' 'for the thrill of it'. Unless, of course, you mean 'love' or 'sexual pleasure', which we are able to experience with all genders. Lucky us.

Homosexuality isn't natural? Well, I'm afraid you're wrong there. It is, by definition, 'natural'; it occurs in many, many places within nature.
I really hope you stop being homophobic soon, it's such a shame.

Good luck!
Reply 25
Yes I think they are
I say that as a Muslim. Religious people dont see anything besides their Holy Book, and this can be toxic
Well, then I will search for this evidence but I have yet to find any that is strong enough. When I was in school girls would wake up one day and decide they were lesbian. Others are "bisexual" and like to experiment with both sexes for the thrill of it, I'm assuming. I think it is a choice, and everyone can live as they wish, but I don't necessarily have to accept it, just as they might not accept my beliefs and lifestyle.
Also, men and women were made with different reproductive organs in order to reproduce. Homosexuals are unable to do this. That's not 'natural' to me.

But anyway, I honestly don't have anything against the people themselves. I have met gays before and they were nice people.

:smile:

It occurs in nature and is therefore natural. The computer you're typing on and the clothes you're wearing are unnatural btw.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It occurs in nature and is therefore natural. The computer you're typing on and the clothes you're wearing are unnatural btw.

What do computers and clothes have to do with this?

Fine, I won't use the word natural. Instead I'll say it is something that has been forbidden by Allah. This is what I believe in so I won't agree with it :smile:
Reply 28
What do computers and clothes have to do with this?

Fine, I won't use the word natural. Instead I'll say it is something that has been forbidden by Allah. This is what I believe in so I won't agree with it :smile:

Is your name Yasmin?
Original post by torilee
You made a few assumptions there, so I'll make one in return; I'm assuming that you do not mean to be ignorant, so I'll educate you somewhat. As a bisexual person, I can promise you that it is no more of a choice than it is for you to be straight (if that's what you are), and we do not 'experiment' 'for the thrill of it'. Unless, of course, you mean 'love' or 'sexual pleasure', which we are able to experience with all genders. Lucky us.

Homosexuality isn't natural? Well, I'm afraid you're wrong there. It is, by definition, 'natural'; it occurs in many, many places within nature.
I really hope you stop being homophobic soon, it's such a shame.

Good luck!

I was commenting on what I saw and have encountered in the past. I don't need you to educate me on anything. If you can give me any scientific evidence to support what you're saying then please, go ahead.

And homophobic, by definition, means to hate or be scared of homosexuals. I neither hate nor am I scared of them. Simply disagreeing with your lifestyle does not make me a homophobe. I'll assume you don't agree with my religious views or the way I choose to live my life, just as I don't agree with yours and that's absolutely fine. We can all have different views :smile: Good luck to you also.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eoe
Is your name Yasmin?

Yeah :smile:
I'll go ahead and say NO.

Trust me I've been through a desert on a horse with no name.

I have experience.
Reply 32
Original post by Starvation13
I'll go ahead and say NO.

Trust me I've been through a desert on a horse with no name.

I have experience.

What are you talking about?
Reply 33
Yeah :smile:

Why you smiling?
This is a Haram name !
Original post by eoe
What are you talking about?

:confused:

Well, that's for you to find out :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Starvation13
:confused:

Well, that's for you to find out :smile:

PM me !
Original post by hellodave5
Well it is at least good that you respect people regardless, though.

But what if religion tells you to slaughter a child to your god? Would you do that? What you say in essence is that you would. I wouldn't call it silly, just mindless... and sounds an awful lot like someone may have been brainwashed into ideals which are completely incongruent with their own, and acted on through a kind of dissonance.

Well yes there is some component in that you choose to not act on your feelings. But then, that doesn't make you not gay physiologically, and is just hiding yourself, essentially. Also there is also the point that our choices may not exactly be choices - but rather calculated responses to the situation and environment, mediated by individual differences in neurobiological structural physiology.

What religious arguments are there for homosexuality with any fair evidence? I assume the requirement of evidence bit is why that was of no use?

I wouldn't choose to be a part of a religion that asks me to do those things. I chose Islam because I believe in everything it teaches. So I haven't been brainwashed into anything, and I am most definitely not mindless.

No, I said it's of no use because I know someone who disbelieves would not pay attention to religious arguments. I could give you many and you would bring up the same thing, that it's not a choice and that it's part of a person's biology. But I don't believe this. Science has been wrong countless times :smile: and I have yet to find any reliable scientific evidence that proves homosexuality is not a choice, or genetic.
Original post by eoe
Why you smiling?
This is a Haram name !

Excuse me? Haha, where did you get this from?
Reply 38
Excuse me? Haha, where did you get this from?

I bet somewhere a scholar in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan has just declared that any names that start from Y are Haram, because Yazidi also starts with a Y
Original post by eoe
I bet somewhere a scholar in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan has just declared that any names that start from Y are Haram, because Yazidi also starts with a Y

Is this trolling, a joke, what? I don't understand most people on this website

Quick Reply

Latest