The Student Room Group

Extra Reading for English Lit

I'm studying English Literature at AS this year and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books that I should read and would be of benefit to me.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm studying English Literature at AS this year and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books that I should read and would be of benefit to me.

What stuff are you looking to find out tho?
Is this wider reading? I'm doing that in small stages as with the reading I'm doing for my exams, it's too much. My teacher told me to read any books I desired and write a summary and a short review. Are you with AQA or OCR?
Original post by Rhythmical
Is this wider reading? I'm doing that in small stages as with the reading I'm doing for my exams, it's too much. My teacher told me to read any books I desired and write a summary and a short review. Are you with AQA or OCR?

I'm with AQA, studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman and Othello. Yes, wider reading was mainly what I am aiming at.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm with AQA, studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman and Othello. Yes, wider reading was mainly what I am aiming at.

You're studying the Aspects of Tragedy?
Not entirely linked with your spec but read the Crucible by Arthur Miller (I preferred this of his idk why, Animal Farm was okay too). Reading anything extra by Shakespeare is good too, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew, The Temptress. Try to read literature from different eras so you can understand an overview of literary history, the romantics of the 19th century are always good to read so like Coleridge, Austen, Woolworth. I love the Bronte novels, Wuthering Heights and then Jane Eyre by Charlotte. Reading classics is always good as they look good on personal statements if you're studying English so The Catcher in the Rye, Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, anything by Dickens. Also I'm doing Gothic literature in year 13 and I'm on AQA so you could read some books from this genre in preparation, my favourites are Wuthering Heights (again), Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, Bloody Chamber. Oscar Wilde is one of my favourite writers, so Dorian Grey and TIOBE I would highly highly recommend. In year 13 you do coursework on 2 different texts and 1984, Handmaids Tale, Wide Segrasso Sea, The Colour Purple, Thousand Splendid Suns tend to be the most commonly read texts, 1984 I would highly recommend personally. Khaled Hussani is a fun read but also considered a "serious writer" so his books are the nicest to read for wider reading I always find (plus, they're mostly tragic novels so can be used for this genre)

This is obviously a very broad list but its good to read texts from different eras/genres especially if you're looking to study it further.
Original post by francescabonnici
Not entirely linked with your spec but read the Crucible by Arthur Miller (I preferred this of his idk why, Animal Farm was okay too). Reading anything extra by Shakespeare is good too, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew, The Temptress. Try to read literature from different eras so you can understand an overview of literary history, the romantics of the 19th century are always good to read so like Coleridge, Austen, Woolworth. I love the Bronte novels, Wuthering Heights and then Jane Eyre by Charlotte. Reading classics is always good as they look good on personal statements if you're studying English so The Catcher in the Rye, Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, anything by Dickens. Also I'm doing Gothic literature in year 13 and I'm on AQA so you could read some books from this genre in preparation, my favourites are Wuthering Heights (again), Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, Bloody Chamber. Oscar Wilde is one of my favourite writers, so Dorian Grey and TIOBE I would highly highly recommend. In year 13 you do coursework on 2 different texts and 1984, Handmaids Tale, Wide Segrasso Sea, The Colour Purple, Thousand Splendid Suns tend to be the most commonly read texts, 1984 I would highly recommend personally. Khaled Hussani is a fun read but also considered a "serious writer" so his books are the nicest to read for wider reading I always find (plus, they're mostly tragic novels so can be used for this genre)

This is obviously a very broad list but its good to read texts from different eras/genres especially if you're looking to study it further.

Thank you, I'll get adding to my 'to read' list :smile: Next year we're studying The Handmaid's Tale and The Kite Runner (which I read last year). I personally love 1984 too.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest