The Student Room Group

Woman jailed for false rape accusation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131622/London-Underground-worker-falsely-accused-accountant-met-nightclub-rape-left-waiting-lift-home-outside-McDonald-s-told-let-real-sex-victims-jailed.html

It is a step in the right direction, but is 8 months in jail really enough? The guy would have got 15+ years if falsely convicted, and have been humiliated with their reputations badly affected, so shouldn't she have got the same jail time?

I am thinking about starting a parliament petition for this
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think 8 months is enough for lying. You have to remember, the person accused of raping somebody would be imprisoned for longer because of the mental, emotional and physical traumathe victim would have gone through. Whilst this is still horrible for the falsely accused, the fact it was thrown out of court and he was found not guilty will help give him his life back and he should be able to move on now. I think between 8 months and 3 years would be a solid sentence for this.

Edit: no, she shouldn't get the same sentence because the issues are not comparable.
Reply 2
Original post by ivybridge
I think 8 months is enough for lying. You have to remember, the person accused of raping somebody would be imprisoned for longer because of the mental, emotional and physical traumathe victim would have gone through. Whilst this is still horrible for the falsely accused, the fact it was thrown out of court and he was found not guilty will help give him his life back and he should be able to move on now. I think between 8 months and 3 years would be a solid sentence for this.

Edit: no, she shouldn't get the same sentence because the issues are not comparable.

How can you say 8 months is enough.

Teen commits suicide for false rape accusation:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11905639/Teenager-falsely-accused-of-rape-commits-suicide.html

Man's life and reputation is destroyed by false rape accusation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpFyDzzZGk

This is a major fraud that destroys lives, and 8 months is not nearly enough
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3

Is the mental and emotional trauma of being falsely accused of rape not even close to comparable? I expect those poor guys would disagree as their lives get turned upside down by one horrific accusation.

She intently and maliciously tried to ruin someone's life in a fit of anger. She then proceeded to waste police and ambulance time and continued to do so through no comment interviews.

I'd have jailed her for longer.
As much as people would like to say they deserve the same, it doesn't work like that. One is rape, the other is perverting the course of justice.
Glad she's been prisoned though, I think an 8 month sentence deter others from doing what she did
Original post by loya61
How can you say 8 months is enough.

Teen commits suicide for false rape accusation:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11905639/Teenager-falsely-accused-of-rape-commits-suicide.html

Man's life is destroyed by false rape accusation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpFyDzzZGk

This is a major fraud that destroys lives, and 8 months is not nearly enough

Okay, perhaps it's too short but I don't think it should equal or exceed the sentence for actual rape.

Edit: with that teenager, were the girl's claims not retracted after his death...?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reue
Is the mental and emotional trauma of being falsely accused of rape not even close to comparable? I expect those poor guys would disagree as their lives get turned upside down by one horrific accusation.

She intently and maliciously tried to ruin someone's life in a fit of anger. She then proceeded to waste police and ambulance time and continued to do so through no comment interviews.

I'd have jailed her for longer.

I don't see how you can compare a lie to actually being raped. They are not the same thing. Agreed, they both cause a lot of trauma but they are not the same in any way shape or form.
Original post by leinad2012
As much as people would like to say they deserve the same, it doesn't work like that. One is rape, the other is perverting the course of justice.
Glad she's been prisoned though, I think an 8 month sentence deter others from doing what she did

I agree.
Reply 8
I don't see how you can compare a lie to actually being raped. They are not the same thing. Agreed, they both cause a lot of trauma but they are not the same in any way shape or form.

I didn't say they were the same, I said the emotional trauma involved is comparable.
Reply 9

You can't really think that just because it has been thrown out of court his life will return to normality. He is going to be tarnished by this forever and the process of being arrested, questioned, examined will leave him with psychological trauma. Rapists are some of the most hated people in modern society, and this man was given this label. Also what would of happened if he had been convicted ? This woman accused him with the intention that he would be convicted. She deserves much more time than 8 months which means in reality she is going to serve 4 months inside.....its laughable.
Original post by Reue
I didn't say they were the same, I said the emotional trauma involved is comparable.

My point is that I don't see how they are at all comparable.
Reply 11
My point is that I don't see how they are at all comparable.

Fair enough. I disagree and would point out that false accusations have led to suicides in the past.
Original post by Nickko99
You can't really think that just because it has been thrown out of court his life will return to normality. He is going to be tarnished by this forever and the process of being arrested, questioned, examined will leave him with psychological trauma. Rapists are some of the most hated people in modern society, and this man was given this label. Also what would of happened if he had been convicted ? This woman accused him with the intention that he would be convicted. She deserves much more time than 8 months which means in reality she is going to serve 4 months inside.....its laughable.

I didn't say that though? I'm saying that he can begin to rebuild now that it's be proven he did not commit the act.

Yeah but he wasn't convicted so that's irrelevant.

Yes, I think the fact she is only to serve 4 months is silly but my point is that I don't think rape and a lie are on the same wavelength. I didn't say she shouldn't be punished, of course she should.
Original post by Reue
Fair enough. I disagree and would point out that false accusations have led to suicides in the past.

Yes, and in those cases I believe the perpetrators should be given lengthier sentences. You honestly need to remember that my response is geared to this case.
Reply 14
Original post by loya61
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131622/London-Underground-worker-falsely-accused-accountant-met-nightclub-rape-left-waiting-lift-home-outside-McDonald-s-told-let-real-sex-victims-jailed.html

It is a step in the right direction, but is 8 months in jail really enough? The guy would have got 15+ years if falsely convicted, and have been humiliated with their reputations badly affected, so shouldn't she have got the same jail time?

I am thinking about starting a parliament petition for this

He wouldn't have got 15 years, no way no how. Not in this country.
Original post by pmprin
He wouldn't have got 15 years, no way no how. Not in this country.

Thats true, 5 year starting point for rape with no additional aggravating factors, sentencing range is 4-8 years. So tbh most of those convicted will get 7/8 years.
Reply 16
Original post by Nickko99
Thats true, 5 year starting point for rape with no additional aggravating factors, sentencing range is 4-8 years. So tbh most of those convicted will get 7/8 years.

Yes but what you get and what you SERVE are two different things.
Original post by pmprin
Yes but what you get and what you SERVE are two different things.

Well normally in the UK you will serve half a sentence in custody and half on license being tracked etc and you will be recalled to prison for ANY breech of the law or your conditions of license. For example a 8 year sentence will mean you serve 4 years in custody then 4 on license before you really are free.
a step in the right direction
Not long enough, 2-3 years at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending