The Student Room Group

What is the difference....

....between learning biology in english compared to learning biology in german.

Am I right in thinking they both give you the same concepts, but biology in english will teach you the english terms for what these concepts are called and biology in german will teach you the german terms for what these concepts are called?

Is that the only difference?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Same things. Different languages.
Reply 3
Original post by Sameerio
Same things. Different languages.

But there is surely a difference in the knowledge you gain?

Like you won't know the parts of a cell in german, if you learn biology in english.
Original post by adsads
But there is surely a difference in the knowledge you gain?

Like you won't know the parts of a cell in german, if you learn biology in english.

There is no difference in the knowledge. You are just learning the same thing but in a different language.

Use a translator if you want to know something in a different language.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sameerio
There is no difference in the knowledge. You are just learning the same thing but in a different language.

Use a translator if you want to know something in a different language.

But aren't you getting knowledge of what things are called in a particular language?

If you learn biology in english, surely you only know what biological concepts are called in english?
Original post by adsads
But aren't you getting knowledge of what things are called in a particular language?

If you learn biology in english, surely you only know what biological concepts are called in english?

Do you speak both languages? It's true that if you learned it in English, you could probably not translate a whole biological text into German accurately. However if you learned Biology in English but then read a biology book in German, you would understand it in German even if you didn't learn it in German. This is only true if you are proficient in both languages. It all depends on several factors.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh no. I think you're that ancient troll that had a problem with language and said things like the word dog or apple meant different things in different languages. You're not that person are you?!
I speak 3 different languages, and have been taught biology in 2 of them... I don't think there's any difference whatsoever.
Original post by WombRaider
I speak 3 different languages, and have been taught biology in 2 of them... I don't think there's any difference whatsoever.

Well, that's not quite true. Different terminology, ways of teaching the syllabus, and which topics are studied can vary significantly.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Oh no. I think you're that ancient troll that had a problem with language and said things like the word dog or apple meant different things in different languages. You're not that person are you?!

Yes. His previous threads under this username:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60619367

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3726641

:K:
Original post by adsads
....between learning biology in english compared to learning biology in german.

Am I right in thinking they both give you the same concepts, but biology in english will teach you the english terms for what these concepts are called and biology in german will teach you the german terms for what these concepts are called?

Is that the only difference?

Another difference is that the syllabus may be different.

Are you planning on learning Biology in German? :smile:
Reply 13
:bump:
Reply 14
Bump
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
Another difference is that the syllabus may be different.

Are you planning on learning Biology in German? :smile:

Maybe, would I be learning different technical terms?

Oh crap, it's the same language troll :bawling:

Am I the only one who remembers her?
Reply 17
:bawling:

so many people with a similar username!
Original post by adsads
Maybe, would I be learning different technical terms?

The syllabus is different \Rightarrow different technical terms, yes :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
The syllabus is different \Rightarrow different technical terms, yes :smile:

I wouldn't bother with her Sean, she's a troll. I'm trying in vain to remember her original username to show you the astoundingly moronic threads she produced..

Quick Reply

Latest