The Student Room Group

a453 ocr computing - Maths Quiz

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jrp051
I know how you sort the scores in task 3 but I'm very confused on how to store multiple scores under the same name the way I tired just displayed them in the order they were entered in didnt sort them again if that makes sense.The only help ive been given is use txt files yes I know that I can read and write but what format and how. I've searched stack overflow and didn't help me . I know to use the sorted function in python that is a lifesaver. Im so confused everywhere else I've seen online has said they've written loads our teacher told us to keep it brief isn't it your teacher that marks it though?

Sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say.
Reply 21
Original post by KryptoModz

How can you have the last 3 scores attached to one student
I only know how to do it with a full class with one score for each of them
Original post by Jrp051
How can you have the last 3 scores attached to one student
I only know how to do it with a full class with one score for each of them

Here's how you would do it:

- Make a variable assigning number of results (res)
- Make your program scan from each users name from the bottom as they are the most recent score.
- Make a while loop to see if res < 3, then the program will keep searching.
- Once it find the results it prints them out sorted.

Note: (I'm presuming your text file looks like this)

John = 10
Lucy = 2
Tom = 4
Hardy = 7
Christoper = 4
Kim = 9
Tom = 4
John = 7
John = 6

etc...

ALSO: This is was you should start of with, a LOT will change after you research and find out other ways. You will get lots of errors, make sure not to get wound up and keep researching and attempting different methods.
Looks like your doing a different A452 to us - We did on about LMC and Python.

Also how does you school manage the time of the students? Any specific software or tools they use?

Well the A453 was the same as yours but I guess the new A452 is raspberry pi and investigating that and holy **** is easy as **** like probably the easiest one so far. But the layout for all A452 is the same full out investigation and I told any one who is visiting this post how to structure a A452 investigation
Okay since my code is a cluster **** for task 3 ill explain what everyone suggests is using a csv module you know import csv and this is the question I asked in stack overflow, the code is flawed but it works so just use this as a template but not all of it or other wise you will run into problems like me and to make the csv files ill post in about 10 mins cuz im need to go somewhere quick

LINK
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32441180/python-how-to-return-to-the-start-of-the-code

row min,ave is [3:5] which is wrong as it look for values between those ranges which is only one value [2:6} is perfect for my code which shows the last three scores 3,4,5 which I will post later on how to do or latest by tomorrow and also tell me are you in half term holidays or not , just for reference
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NeptorSV
Okay since my code is a cluster **** for task 3 ill explain what everyone suggests is using a csv module you know import csv and this is the question I asked in stack overflow, the code is flawed but it works so just use this as a template but not all of it or other wise you will run into problems like me and to make the csv files ill post in about 10 mins cuz im need to go somewhere quick

LINK
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32441180/python-how-to-return-to-the-start-of-the-code

My problem was, I started to do Task 3 solely through python, and then half way through i figured that excel could have been used. Looking at your code, i can tell its really simple to do it in excel compared to what i had done in python. Wish I researched before I already spent couple of hours trying to do the code on python.

Anyways in my opinion the killer in this task is the fact they want the average outputted with the highest pupils first and lowest last.

I mean if they wanted just the average to be outputted fine, but adding high to low makes it a ton more complicated!

I honestly have never seen A453 come across this bad ever...

I'm on holiday.
Reply 26
MAUD
Reply 27
vbujeujdjhdcj
Has anyone though of using a dictionary? You can store lots of list in a dictionary, each one for a different student, or is everyone using lists?
Reply 29
Original post by tygereyes
Has anyone though of using a dictionary? You can store lots of list in a dictionary, each one for a different student, or is everyone using lists?

If you firmat the txt files likes this
Bob
You can use read.lines() and a for loop for every 4 lines
Just a quick update! Finished my controlled assessment the other day. With a grand total of 90 pages and 23,000 words, I honestly think I did too much! But my teacher kept telling me irrelevant things to add and I guess i listened to him and added it. I will let you guys know what grade I get!
what do you mean by this? also what does read.line() do?
Reply 32
hi i completed m a453 i got 34 marks one mark off an a. At this stage i do not know what to do. tif i give you my a453 will you be able to help me.
thanks
Reply 33
Original post by sniips
hi i completed m a453 i got 34 marks one mark off an a. At this stage i do not know what to do. tif i give you my a453 will you be able to help me.
thanks

What do you want help with i now have a near perfect solition
Original post by Jrp051
What do you want help with i now have a near perfect solition

Yep! I finished my controlled assessment and had it marked got an A* 43/45! Still don't think the 23,000 words was worth it for the A*...
Hi everyone,
It's good to know that I'm not the only one struggling with task 3. My teacher has been unhelpful to me this past week as I start task 3 and would like to know how to save multiple scores for a student in visual studio. I asked my friend who does A level computing but said it was too hard! I have around 2 hours left of time left and haven't even started coding! I need a simple way to code 3 scores not a long convoluted way like 2D arrays and some ideas on how to start coding it into my existing program.
Many thanks,
Original post by reverseflash
Hi everyone,
It's good to know that I'm not the only one struggling with task 3. My teacher has been unhelpful to me this past week as I start task 3 and would like to know how to save multiple scores for a student in visual studio. I asked my friend who does A level computing but said it was too hard! I have around 2 hours left of time left and haven't even started coding! I need a simple way to code 3 scores not a long convoluted way like 2D arrays and some ideas on how to start coding it into my existing program.
Many thanks,

How does your school monitor the time you've spent on coursework?
Reply 37
How does your school monitor the time you've spent on coursework?

20 hours = 20, 1 hour lessons
Original post by Jrp051
20 hours = 20, 1 hour lessons

What's stopping you from taking your controlled assessment home and completing it with extra time and then putting it in your computing folder the day before deadline is completed?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
What's stopping you from taking your controlled assessment home and completing it with extra time and then putting it in your computing folder the day before deadline is completed?

We have seperate controlled assememt accounts where everything is logged to stop cheating

Quick Reply

Latest