The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Arts and Sciences 2016 Applicants

Hey, is anyone applying this year, if so what are you majoring/minoring in what do you think of the course in general?

Scroll to see replies

I have. Societies pathway :smile: just doing the SAQ for it now.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Same. How are you finding it? I am on the Health and Environment pathway. :smile:

Must be a pretty niche degree, I don't know many people doing it.

What is your minor?
Sciences and Technology pathway here :biggrin:
Amazing to find people also hyped by the degree- really hope we get in! :smile:
Have you already applied?
Hi guys!
Best of luck with your applications!
I'm a first year Arts and Sciences student so feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of the questions on their supplementary questionnaire is:

[to paraphrase] One surprising fact about you that will make you better at the course.

Wtf.. how do I answer this?!
Original post by ILovePancakes
One of the questions on their supplementary questionnaire is:

[to paraphrase] One surprising fact about you that will make you better at the course.

Wtf.. how do I answer this?!

I was really confused by this too, I went for not so surprising hobby/ interest of mine and skills from that, I learnt.

How do you answer the one challenge of interdisciplinary question, I can't think of any negatives...
Hey guys,

Quick questions to ask:

1. Can I apply for the BASc at UCL and also apply for the MSci in Chemistry or would this hurt my chances of being accepted for either?
2. At what stage do you need to fill in the questionaire, is it immediately after sending your UCAS application?

Thanks guys!
Well I am applying this year to, and they don't look at your UCAS personal statement, I believe. I applied to Biology for my other 4 options and my UCAS personal statement was completely orientated towards that.
I got sent the questionnaire a day afterwards, and was given 7 days to complete and upload it. But basically 7 days to complete it.

Hope this helps
They do not look at your ucas personal statement so you can tailor that to all your other options. They will however send you the questionnaire as soon as they process your application (and make sure you have the necessary entry requirements)
The time it takes to receive the questionnaire varies. For example it took them about 3 weeks to process my application but I know of cases where people received it only a week later!
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone with a good amount of information on this course PM me? I had a coupla questions.
Original post by Ahmed766
Can someone with a good amount of information on this course PM me? I had a coupla questions.

I'm only a first year on this course but PM me your questions and I might be able to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I am an international student (I live in singapore) and I was invited to an Open day next week to take a "test" in UCL. They said arrangements would be made if I couldn't attend (which would be the case...). Would I have to sit a written exam from Singapore? Or would it be an interview by Skype? And is the fact that I was invited to this Open day mean that I have a good chance of getting an offer?
Reply 14
Hey I'm an American who's applied for the societies pathway. I just got an email this morning saying that I got invited to an open day next week. It said that I'd have to take a test there and if I didn't take it there, I'd have to take it back in the states, which seems problematic. So I'm not sure if I should go or not, but I'd really like to get a better feel for the course and for the school, so would the open day be a good chance?

Also, does anybody know what's the deal with the language requirement? I've taken Mandarin since kindergarten, but I'm not exactly fluent, and am totally willing to take another language, I'm just curious.
Original post by hogan17
Hey I'm an American who's applied for the societies pathway. I just got an email this morning saying that I got invited to an open day next week. It said that I'd have to take a test there and if I didn't take it there, I'd have to take it back in the states, which seems problematic. So I'm not sure if I should go or not, but I'd really like to get a better feel for the course and for the school, so would the open day be a good chance?

Also, does anybody know what's the deal with the language requirement? I've taken Mandarin since kindergarten, but I'm not exactly fluent, and am totally willing to take another language, I'm just curious.

When I applied you were allowed to do a Skype interview of you didn't live in the UK so unless they've changed that in the last year that might still be option?
Although, visiting for an open day would definitely be a good choice if you haven't visited UCL/London before!

With regards to the language you're allowed to start one from scratch (they have a pretty long list of options) so you wouldn't have to continue studying Mandarin unless you wanted to.

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any other questions about BASc

Posted from TSR Mobile
So who's coming to the open day on wednesday? I'm excited and terrified at the same time :redface:
For the test day do parents come as well or is it students only??
Hi I was wondering what the test is like for the open day ( what are the questions like etc.) and are parents allowed to come or is it students only
Original post by anchorheart
Hi guys!
I'm a first year Arts and Sciences student so feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by anchorheart
Hi guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aestamper1
Hi I was wondering what the test is like for the open day ( what are the questions like etc.) and are parents allowed to come or is it students only

I did a Skype interview but from what I've been told the test day consists of a few lectures from each pathway representative about their pathway's perspective on a certain topic (like food or sports) and then you have to write an essay on it (and do maths questions if you want to major in Sciences and Engineering).
I believe the actual talks/open day is just for students but I'm sure it's ok if your parents come to UCL too if they want to (they just probably won't be allowed into the common room for the open day bit).
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending