The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omni Vanitas
Must be this, UCL Law for IB is 39 points, not 38 (Your HL score is fine as it's 19).

https://www.laws.ucl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/

Yes, I was aware that with my current grades I didn't meet the minimum grade requirements. What I didn't know is that they don't accept re-sits, so I've "wasted" one of my UCAS choices -perhaps their no re-sits policy should be mentioned in their entry requirements :P

I just wanted to hear people's experiences with re-sits and Oxford. Like I'd said earlier, I won't be getting my new grade till after Oxford send out their offers, so I don't expect it to be added to my application and impact it positively.

What I was worried about, was Oxford seeing my application in a bad light because I'd resat an exam. But from what I've gathered, they don't really care if you resit one exam. It simply won't affect my application. (So I've resat a maths exam just cuz it seems :biggrin:)

Thanks for the input :smile:
Original post by Cinderella97
I did the TSA for PPE, but I have no idea when they would give out interview offers. I know if I got an interview it would be on the 6th December, so presumably I will get it by the end of November as the email says they will give a weeks notice. How did you find the TSA?

If it runs like previous years it will be around Wednesday 25/11/2015 for PPE
Around when did history interview invitations begin to roll out last year?
Original post by magic_is_might
i do history and politics (and classics) at A2 and I can definitely say that both are as hard as each other. some unis don't particularly like students doing politics because 1) they see it as a 'soft subject' (which it is NOT might I add) and 2) similarly for law, they don't like re-teaching you things due to the fact you may get confused. I would probably advise you, like some others have, to pick WHAT YOU WANT. each subject is difficult in their own right, and personally I would rather do a subject I enjoy and do well in rather than I don't like but other people would like me to do. Pick what you want, get good grades, do extra curriculars which link to your chosen degree and be passionate about your subjects!

I have the same issue with art being a 'soft option' and it's so much harder than my two 'difficult options' -_-
Original post by cakeislife
I have the same issue with art being a 'soft option' and it's so much harder than my two 'difficult options' -_-

wanted to quote you back since we have similar names on tar :wink:
Original post by georgeous31
Oxford and Cambridge merely get SOME of the brightest and not necessarily the best. Many don't apply, and many dont get in because of shear bad luck - they were nervous and had a bad day at interview or made a few silly mistakes in an exam ( be it AS levels or the entrance exams). Lets be frank - the interview process is seriously flawed. You are not being interviewed by robots - humans can and do make more emotive decisions than they might like. Which subject tutor wants to let in a great but absolute ass of a student who will make three years of tutorials irritating? Better to let in the other students who are also great but are not going to make your 2 tutorials a week a pain.

A C Grayling established the New College of The Humanities in part because he saw how many brilliant students were being turned away by Oxbridge.

It says on the Oxford website that they are looking for the best applicants with potential but they don't want students who will not benefit from the tutorial system. So applicants should be aware of these rules.

The system is not necessarily seriously flawed if there are a lot of very bright people outside Oxford. This will happen if there are more bright people than places.

The system would be seriously flawed if they were picking the wrong people but I don't think you are saying that.

The vast majority of business relationships start with a face-to-face meeting. They move onto telephone/email after that. I think Oxford/Cambridge use interviews for the same reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
PLEASE, can someone tell me what the rejection email states (the exact content - can someone paste it please lol). Also, what does it say in the subject? :biggrin: rejection? we're sorry? lol
Original post by Fedelias
Around when did history interview invitations begin to roll out last year?

If last year is anything to judge by, in the last week of November, ie next week sometime
Original post by ilovecake123
wanted to quote you back since we have similar names on tar :wink:

haha I thought that too :tongue: I picked mine at random and then realised that I couldn't change it...
Original post by cakeislife
haha I thought that too :tongue: I picked mine at random and then realised that I couldn't change it...

same:smile:
i was like oh well stuck with it now, even if i could change it, i wouldn't know what to change it to :biggrin:
Original post by patricio_miguel
PLEASE, can someone tell me what the rejection email states (the exact content - can someone paste it please lol). Also, what does it say in the subject? :biggrin: rejection? we're sorry? lol

"Dear applicant,

We regret to inform you that your application to Oxford University is no longer under consideration by any of our colleges because of the following reasons:

ur **** m8 git gud"
Original post by Cinderella97
I did the TSA for PPE, but I have no idea when they would give out interview offers. I know if I got an interview it would be on the 6th December, so presumably I will get it by the end of November as the email says they will give a weeks notice. How did you find the TSA?

Hmmm the TSA was okay for me so not as bad as how others seem to had found it but the essay wasn't great so I don't know where I stand. I just really want an interview to show my motivation and passion for the subject. How about you?
Original post by Ecconomist
Hmmm the TSA was okay for me so not as bad as how others seem to had found it but the essay wasn't great so I don't know where I stand. I just really want an interview to show my motivation and passion for the subject. How about you?

I was the other way around haha. The essay was fine, but I think I messed up the mcq badly. I just felt everything I had practised was a bit pointless because the problem solving questions were all different, and so I ran out of time and I had to guess some. Its hard to know how to feel because it is entirely dependent on how everyone else has done. But I completely agree with wanting an interview for that reason, I feel better being rejected after interviews because at least then I know I had given it my all
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hi Ivoryfall,

We are very unlikely to send out invitations to Brasenose over a weekend because our office is usually closed. However, we are much busier at this time of year, so it is possible that the office may need to open briefly at the weekend, and therefore there is a slim chance that invitations may be sent outside of the working week. I would expect that decisions arrive during the working week 99% of the time though from every Oxford College.

Best not to worry about when it might arrive!

Thank you for answering that question; I've seen a number of people asking and felt it best to just nip it in the bud. 2 weeks at most, either way!
Reply 5054
Just got shortlisted for interview. :biggrin:

Biological Sciences- St. Peter's College and Balliol college.
Original post by Vitul

Congratulations!!!!

Was St. Peter's your first pick???
Reply 5056
Original post by rosiehhirrs
Congratulations!!!!

Was St. Peter's your first pick???

Yes, I was allocated to St.Peter's College.
Original post by Vitul
Yes, I was allocated to St.Peter's College.

How did you allocated to your first choice ==" Don't you choose your first choice?
Reply 5058
please please could someone tell me when Exp Psychology interview invites went out last year?
Reply 5059
Original post by Vitul

You are my competition ! :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending