The Student Room Group

Appenticeship or Uni for accoutnancy?

Trying to decide what to do next year. I am thinking that I lean more towards my eventual career being in finance rather than accountancy, but I want to earn at least £80,000 eventually. I am wondering what the best route to take is, whether or not an accountancy apprenticeship will hold me back for jobs as a finance director or consultancy. I got AAA at AS and Think I will get between A*A*Aa*(epq) - ABBa.I am only applying for the big 4 and if I don't get in I will go to Uni (if I decide on an apprenticeship.)So my options are: Apprenticeship at big four, or accountancy and finance at Soton Uni. Which looks better and will result in higher wages on average?Also if anyone has any advice on what branch of accountancy to go into if in future I want to be a manager/director/consultant. Thanks guys :smile:
Why only big 4? I have a final interview with RSM (formerly Baker Tilly) in Southampton on Thursday and they arguably have a bigger presence in Southampton than KPMG
Original post by implicity
Why only big 4? I have a final interview with RSM (formerly Baker Tilly) in Southampton on Thursday and they arguably have a bigger presence in Southampton than KPMG

Hi, what is the application process with RSM?
Reply 3
Original post by cfheaarrlie
Trying to decide what to do next year. I am thinking that I lean more towards my eventual career being in finance rather than accountancy, but I want to earn at least £80,000 eventually. I am wondering what the best route to take is, whether or not an accountancy apprenticeship will hold me back for jobs as a finance director or consultancy. I got AAA at AS and Think I will get between A*A*Aa*(epq) - ABBa.I am only applying for the big 4 and if I don't get in I will go to Uni (if I decide on an apprenticeship.)So my options are: Apprenticeship at big four, or accountancy and finance at Soton Uni. Which looks better and will result in higher wages on average?Also if anyone has any advice on what branch of accountancy to go into if in future I want to be a manager/director/consultant. Thanks guys :smile:

Apprenticeship with a big four IMO, I was taking to my dad and grandpa the other day about getting into accountancy. They both agreed it's a waste of your time and money to go to uni. With so many apprenticeship places available in the sector as well, many of which are in the big 4, it seems ludicrous to do a degree and then land yourself in almost the exact same job. You are likely to progress quicker through an apprenticeship as you'll be three years ahead and will have or be in the process of obtaining the qualifications needed.

The best option for you is this http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/schools/flying-start-degrees.html
Original post by Summer9393
Hi, what is the application process with RSM?

Online application, invite for numerical and verbal reasoning tests, invite for panel interview. It seems a bit more relaxed because the Southampton office used to be RSM Tenon and from wikijobs and glassdoor it seems they haven't changed or updated their application process to Baker Tilly/RSM's
(edited 8 years ago)
If you can get into a sponsored program like EY degree, then university is likely to be better. Also if your accounting courses is at a top business university like Lancaster or Exeter, then they often make you take modules in Economics and Maths, that make you stand out against accounting applicants that did an apprenticeship. In addition, a degree may help you get into a ACA training program easier, as they are highly competitive.

Although, a good apprenticeship, linked with a top 10 accounting firm, is also an excellent opportunity, as you can often get through the ACA/ACCA/CIMA exams faster than a graduate - which is all that really matters to be fair lol. You also get paid and don't have to pay a staggering £9000/year!!

I chose the university route though, because I wanted to go to university and I was willing to pay for the experience. I do not regret it :smile:.
Really look into the KPMG scheme.
Takes 6 years like normal ACA route. 3 years spent degree and 3 years in uni. Oh did I mention FREE UNI? I also forgot to mention YOU GET PAID each year 20K! and it goes up every year! Honestly it's actually just retarded for people to not do this, unless they really want a uni exp.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by implicity
Online application, invite for numerical and verbal reasoning tests, invite for panel interview. It seems a bit more relaxed because the Southampton office used to be RSM Tenon and from wikijobs and glassdoor it seems they haven't changed or updated their application process to Baker Tilly/RSM's

Thank you, I applied for the Glasgow office but I can't find any information about their assessment process whatsoever. Did you got an offer? I applied for Tax, what did you apply for?
I personally wouldn't bother with accountancy. Even the highest paying jobs that require the most brainwork will be taken over by Artificial Intelligence within the next 10-15 years. Go back to the drawing board and study something else.
Original post by jambojim97
I personally wouldn't bother with accountancy. Even the highest paying jobs that require the most brainwork will be taken over by Artificial Intelligence within the next 10-15 years. Go back to the drawing board and study something else.

That is a good point. Also, signing up for an apprenticeship ties you in for so many years and you are virtually selling your life and soul to them. It can get so tedious and you miss out on the uni experience. You only live once.
Original post by Kutie Karen
That is a good point. Also, signing up for an apprenticeship ties you in for so many years and you are virtually selling your life and soul to them. It can get so tedious and you miss out on the uni experience. You only live once.

OP may be worried about the student debt - which for many takes precedence over the uni experience. Perhaps an alternative would be web/software development. No formal qualifications are needed as long as you have the coding skills! You can learn to code for free online, and in the meantime you can just get a menial job to maintain yourself.
Original post by jambojim97
OP may be worried about the student debt - which for many takes precedence over the uni experience. Perhaps an alternative would be web/software development. No formal qualifications are needed as long as you have the coding skills! You can learn to code for free online, and in the meantime you can just get a menial job to maintain yourself.

Fair point. Student debt is only payable if you earn a certain amount and most student debt is never paid.
Reply 13

What A levels did you take

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending