The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Lit Applicants 2016 Entry

Anyone else applying to Cambridge to read English this year? I didn't come across any at any of the open days, and nobody else in my college wants to either! Seems like a bit of a bum year for English!

Scroll to see replies

I've applied, but I'm not sure I stand the remotest chance. I got 60 Distinction credits in my Access to HE course, and then followed that up with a distance-learning A Level in English Language and Literature, getting an 'A' in the summer (87% UMS overall). I don't think that'll be enough, to be honest; my GCSEs (taken nearly fifteen years ago) were rather middling, and I think my personal statement was *okay*.

But I've applied for four London unis - UCL, KCL, Queen Mary and Goldsmiths - so hopefully I'll get one offer on the table to choose from! Cambridge is more a shot in the dark for me, having that fifth option spare.

Let me know how you get on!
I'm applying too this year! International student, though! :-)
Good luck! ☺️
I'm currently on a gap year. I don't know if it would be worth applying (for me). I haven't written a personal statement yet or done any preparation. I assume everyone else here has been fervidly crafting a personal statement...? It seems like a pipe dream at this stage for me. I don't even know if my academic history is worthy.

A*AA in my A Levels
4A* 3A 3B in GCSE's

Don't they require that you average 90% across your three subjects? I got 100% in A2 English, but I only average 87% UMS across my three subjects.

How did everyone else do?
Original post by reflektor
I'm currently on a gap year. I don't know if it would be worth applying (for me). I haven't written a personal statement yet or done any preparation. I assume everyone else here has been fervidly crafting a personal statement...? It seems like a pipe dream at this stage for me. I don't even know if my academic history is worthy.

A*AA in my A Levels
4A* 3A 3B in GCSE's

Don't they require that you average 90% across your three subjects? I got 100% in A2 English, but I only average 87% UMS across my three subjects.

How did everyone else do?

they don't require it!!! it's just an "average applicant" statistic! also don't look at the people on TSR's grades, they're a few tiers above actual applicants. plus, english is a humanities subject (aka A*AA is their offer usually) and if you perform great at interview it'll be fine. anyway, you've got time to do the statement - i've only done mine one/two days before the deadline (i have an earlier deadline for interview) and it looked okay. what college are you trying to?
I'm applying for English on a gap year with A*AA at A Level, and 6A*s and 5As at GCSE :-)
Reply 7
Maybe ask here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=504305
Cambridge English Students and Applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi People. I've never posted on TSR before, but figured I should because I want to join in on this post. Better not get addicted :P
I'm applying to Newnham to study English. Really doubt I'll get in, though, as, UMS-wise, English Lit was my worst subject at AS. Plus my GCSEs were a bit shabby: 1 C, 5 Bs, 4 As and 1 A*. Thank God Cambridge don't look at GCSEs as much as Oxford, eh?
4 As at AS level, though. Phew.
Original post by MPip
Hi People. I've never posted on TSR before, but figured I should because I want to join in on this post. Better not get addicted :P
I'm applying to Newnham to study English. Really doubt I'll get in, though, as, UMS-wise, English Lit was my worst subject at AS. Plus my GCSEs were a bit shabby: 1 C, 5 Bs, 4 As and 1 A*. Thank God Cambridge don't look at GCSEs as much as Oxford, eh?
4 As at AS level, though. Phew.

Don't worry, 4As are excellent and your GCSEs aren't terrible (especially since Cambridge looks for upward progression!) I wanted to apply to Newnham but my parents were iffy with an all-women's college. Hope we both get in, and see you there if luck holds!!!
What colleges are everyone applyingt to??
I've applied to St John's this year and I'm kind of worried about the written test before interview. There's not a lot on it online, so I wondered if it was something like the Oxford ELAT. Has anybody else found much information on it, like how long it is?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm applying post-a level with A*A*A*. What are you all doing to prepare for various written tests? And what colleges are you going for?
Do you guys know anyone who didn't get an interview but wasn't rejected either. I'm an international student, applying for overseas interviews and I got an email saying that while they can't take an interview, they'll still be evaluating my application purely on my UCAS and COPA. Is this unusual???
Original post by Shivangi78
Do you guys know anyone who didn't get an interview but wasn't rejected either. I'm an international student, applying for overseas interviews and I got an email saying that while they can't take an interview, they'll still be evaluating my application purely on my UCAS and COPA. Is this unusual???

Not unusual.
For international applicants who were not invited for interview at overseas locations, it's up to the college to decide if they want to invite you for interview in Cambridge or not.
You will hear from them in a few weeks about their decision. :wink:

Note: it's only a small minority of applicants who were already invited for interviews so far.
[QUOTE=voraciousreader;60481207]I'm applying post-a level with A*A*A*. What are you all doing to prepare for various written tests? And what colleges are you going for?

Wow well done :smile: im applying to Newnham - what college are you going for? I'm just analysing unseen poems atm and then trying to work out an essay plan for them X
I've been asked to interview! Very nervous now...!
Reply 17
Interview!!
Reply 18
Original post by MPip
Interview!!

What college?
Reply 19
Original post by kishoret
What college?

Newnham College :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest