The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5140
Original post by Ambre
Thanks, though I got my invitation yesterday :smile: I was just wondering how relatively early/late I had been shortlisted, but not in a competitive way!

Congratulations!
Original post by mckamp
How did the MAT go?

I would say mediocre. Not great :frown: yours?
Reply 5142
Original post by mckamp
Congratulations!

Thanks!
Reply 5143
Original post by haien910
I would say mediocre. Not great :frown: yours?

Not sure, its so hard to say, I fully answered 1,2 and 5 and did about half of 3 so I was happy with how much I did, just not massively confident it is all right
Original post by PinkGrape
Has anyone applying to Hertford been invited to interview yet?

I have! Applied to do biochemistry at Hertford and got a call to interview yesterday :smile:
Can I ask why applicants get interviewed by a college they didn't apply to? E.g. applied to brasenose but pembroke is interviewing them? This hasn't happened to me btw, just curious.
Original post by mechanism
Can I ask why applicants get interviewed by a college they didn't apply to? E.g. applied to brasenose but pembroke is interviewing them? This hasn't happened to me btw, just curious.

It makes it fair for if they think you're good enough to be in Oxford but they've already filled up places in their college, so you still get to go to Oxford but perhaps not to your first choice college as far as I'm aware
Original post by vildeung
In my case, both! But my initial choice mailed first.

Ah okay, cool! I'm just curious 'cause Merton said they wouldn't reply until the 23rd, and I'm an impatient little blighter!

Congratulations and good luck with your interview, by the way! :biggrin:
Original post by TheBilboBaggins
Ah okay, cool! I'm just curious 'cause Merton said they wouldn't reply until the 23rd, and I'm an impatient little blighter!

Congratulations and good luck with your interview, by the way! :biggrin:

Haha, I can understand that! And thank you, good luck to you too!

I think the department scores the applicants based on grades, and then they are reallocated in order to make the distribution of strong applicants more equal?
Original post by megrostron
It makes it fair for if they think you're good enough to be in Oxford but they've already filled up places in their college, so you still get to go to Oxford but perhaps not to your first choice college as far as I'm aware

I understand that for post-interview, I mean pre-interview. When colleges are sending out interviews to applicants. Why do some get interviewed at a different college to the one they originally applied? Is it because some colleges have too many applicants and not enough time to interview the ones they wish to so other colleges interview them instead? Or is it to do with interests mentioned on PS?
Reply 5151
Any chemistry interviews yet?
Original post by vildeung
I think the department scores the applicants based on grades, and then they are reallocated in order to make the distribution of strong applicants more equal?

Ooh this would make more sense.
I understand that for post-interview, I mean pre-interview. When colleges are sending out interviews to applicants. Why do some get interviewed at a different college to the one they originally applied? Is it because some colleges have too many applicants and not enough time to interview the ones they wish to so other colleges interview them instead? Or is it to do with interests mentioned on PS?

Yeah I think it's more sort of to do with evening out the field so people have more of a chance? A couple of admissions tutors came to my school and just said that it was so if you didn't get an offer from the first choice the second college could have potentially really liked you and given you an offer instead
Original post by Tweald

I'm still waiting for an interview/rejection, have you heard back?
Original post by Tweald

Doesn't look like it, hopefully we'll hear soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ivoryfall
Yep! A rejection this morning, which I posted a few posts back :,)

Really?! I'm so sorry, but did you apply to other universities? It's better something than nothing, or try again next year, please don't give up!!! :biggrin: And did you apply for Chinese?

Original post by reenie.stp
I haven't received an email yet as to whether I've got an interview or been rejected, but for the college I've applied to (St John's) they said in their welcome email that Oriental Studies applicants would have to get to the college for the 7th of December for the interview. They said if you haven't heard a week before that you should email them. I'm guessing invitations/rejections will go out anytime now. I don't know if the dates etc are the same for other colleges though.

Yeah, I've been waiting too and it is nerve-wrecking, but I'll post as soon as I recieve any email. Good luck!

Original post by mckamp
Anyone on here heard from Pembrooke? Or had any word about an interview to study maths? Waiting is killing me

Hiii there, I was also allocated to Pembroke, what are you applying for? :biggrin:
I applied for Oriental studies and still haven't received anything, so I understand your impatiency... :frown: Good luck, my friend!!!
Reply 5157
Original post by Nancy97
Really?! I'm so sorry, but did you apply to other universities? It's better something than nothing, or try again next year, please don't give up!!! :biggrin: And did you apply for Chinese?

Yeah, I've been waiting too and it is nerve-wrecking, but I'll post as soon as I recieve any email. Good luck!

Hiii there, I was also allocated to Pembroke, what are you applying for? :biggrin:
I applied for Oriental studies and still haven't received anything, so I understand your impatiency... :frown: Good luck, my friend!!!

I'm applying to study maths, did you make an open application or did you apply to a college?
Have any Materials Science people been called yet?? Anybody got an interview from St Annes (any subject)??