The Student Room Group

How many hours do/did you study at University independently?

Excluding coursework and homework?
I am at 55 hours excluding lectures, class/seminars, coursework (dissertation is included) and homework.
For my final year I am aiming for a high 1st class - above 80% hopefully.

Scroll to see replies

Not counting coursework I don't think I did much at all.
What... per week?

I probably did that in exam term, but through the year that's nuts.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
What... per week?

I probably did that in exam term, but through the year that's nuts.

Maybe I have exaggerated...it varies from 45-55 hours every week.
Reply 4
Do you mean how many hours each week I spend studying in the actual university building or just studying in general?

I assume you mean the latter. I am interested in learning but I can't just retain study information for more than 2-3 weeks. So usually in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the exam I'd study maybe 5 or so hours a day... 35 hours a week for 3 weeks? Poor, yes... Worked for me though, I got firsts in my first 2 years.
Original post by UndergraduateSTD
Excluding coursework and homework?
I am at 55 hours excluding lectures, class/seminars, coursework (dissertation is included) and homework.
For my final year I am aiming for a high 1st class - above 80% hopefully.

What uni are you attending/course for you to be aiming for above 80%?
Reply 6
Depends really. At least 3-4 hours per day? So, 4 3*5*4 = 60.

:ninja:
(edited 8 years ago)
2-3 hours per day when i ve a 9-4 lecture day, otherwise it varies on shorter days depending on what workload i ve got on at that time.
Most of what I studied at uni was to do with either my course or my essays :beard: I'm a little confused about the question. I did around 25 hours per week (probably closer to 30 with deadlines etc.), give or take, excluding lectures. Did some extra reading of philosophy which really helped me with my course but I wouldn't have called it studying really.

Don't burn yourself out by overdoing it - you need to relax and have a social life. You shouldn't need to be putting in that many hours: what are you studying?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kka25
Depends really. At least 3-4 hours per day? So, 4*5*4 = 60.

???
Original post by kka25
Depends really. At least 3-4 hours per day? So, 4*5*4 = 60.

I take it you are not doing a degree in Mathematics then.
In excess of 30 hours at the moment, on top of about 20 hours of lectures/lab work. It's enough to do well but still maintain a life outside of study.
Reply 12
Original post by Quantex
I take it you are not doing a degree in Mathematics then.

:teehee:

Before this it was 3*5*4 :awesome:
Even if you discover how many hours we work, it doesn't give an accurate picture of how much we're getting done. I'm quite a slow worker, so even though i may tell you im working for hours on end, it doesn't mean im progressing very well.
Reply 14
Original post by Emily.97
Even if you discover how many hours we work, it doesn't give an accurate picture of how much we're getting done. I'm quite a slow worker, so even though i may tell you im working for hours on end, it doesn't mean im progressing very well.

and the procrastination :hide:
At my uni each module is said to require 100 hours. About 30-40 from lectures + tutorials, maybe 30 hours on problem sheets (spilling over from tutorial work) and then 30 more of independent study. How much have I done? :innocent: :iiam:
Original post by callum_law
What uni are you attending/course for you to be aiming for above 80%?

PPE - Manchester.There was a guy I know who received 83% on average in his final year, so I thought...what stops me from getting these grades?

Around 80% would be satisfying too, for this I will be working consistently throughout the year.

These grades can be achieved even at the very top Universities, but students will settle for a 2.1/low 1st because there is no incentive to do better in many cases. Employers only want a 2.1 and henceforth study time can be reduced and one can work on extracurricular activities which are an essential component to a student’s employability.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Most of what I studied at uni was to do with either my course or my essays :beard: I'm a little confused about the question. I did around 25 hours per week (probably closer to 30 with deadlines etc.), give or take, excluding lectures. Did some extra reading of philosophy which really helped me with my course but I wouldn't have called it studying really.

Don't burn yourself out by overdoing it - you need to relax and have a social life. You shouldn't need to be putting in that many hours: what are you studying?

It's starting to get to me; I will take on your advice and reduce the amounts of hours I put in.
I want a high first class degree - around 80%.
I am studying PPE at Manchester.
Original post by Emily.97

I agree with the point you have raised here. What I merely wanted to know is how many hours the average University student works on a weekly basis.
Reply 19
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Don't burn yourself out by overdoing it - you need to relax and have a social life.

This OP. Listen to this (a reminder to myself as well).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending