The Student Room Group

Council Issued Parking Ticket. No Legal Requirement To Pay?

Hello.

So today I parked in a local car park near work and failed to pay as I thought it was a private car park which has no legal requirement to pay parking for.

I returned 9 hours later to find I was issued a parking ticket from the local council and instantly ripped it up believing you don't need to to be them [ The same as private companies] however my mum states different.

So what happens now?

Scroll to see replies

The best course of action will be to phone up the council up and explain the situation (make sure you know your car reg no. so they can look it up). The chances are they'll be able to either take a debit card over the phone or tell you how to pay the fine online.

Most local council fines are halved if pay quickly so don't just leave it, since it will cost you more in the long term. If you don't pay by their deadline it will cost you even more. If you don't pay them they can even come a confiscate your car.

Oh and private parking companies can charge and they can enforce charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-34721126
Reply 2
Surely I need not pay it as i pay enough in council tax, road tax etc?
Original post by YoMamasFat

By all means try to explain that to them when they come to take your car away.
Reply 4
Original post by KCLeblanc

They won't take the car away, but they will take you to court...

Long and short of it is pay council / police parking fines. If it's a private company have all the fun you like with them.

So today I parked in a local car park near work and failed to pay as I thought it was a private car park which has no legal requirement to pay parking for.

So what happens now?

You have to stump up. It is also worth noting that the law changed with regard to private car parks a couple of years ago. A recent court hearing in the supreme court found that the fines issued by private companies are legal and enforceable. You can dodge them but it is tricky and there is no guarantee of success. For want of adhering to the terms, it is best to either pay up, stay within the limits or park on the road somewhere that doesn't charge. I tend to leave my car when heading into town and cycle or use public transport.

Lol, if only this was true!!

The best thing to do is pay it asap, usually there is a 50% reduction if you pay within about 2 weeks. They won't let it drop and council fines are legally binding i.e. you could theoretically end up paying hefty court fees if you drag it out. At the end of the day if they gave you a ticket there must have been signage somewhere stating it was a council car park (if definitely not I guess you may have a chance at contesting), if so you won't have a leg to stand on.
Reply 7
Original post by Nightwing_
Lol, if only this was true!!

The best thing to do is pay it asap, usually there is a 50% reduction if you pay within about 2 weeks. They won't let it drop and council fines are legally binding i.e. you could theoretically end up paying hefty court fees if you drag it out. At the end of the day if they gave you a ticket there must have been signage somewhere stating it was a council car park (if definitely not I guess you may have a chance at contesting), if so you won't have a leg to stand on.

Original post by ByEeek
You have to stump up. It is also worth noting that the law changed with regard to private car parks a couple of years ago. A recent court hearing in the supreme court found that the fines issued by private companies are legal and enforceable. You can dodge them but it is tricky and there is no guarantee of success. For want of adhering to the terms, it is best to either pay up, stay within the limits or park on the road somewhere that doesn't charge. I tend to leave my car when heading into town and cycle or use public transport.

As a lad, I refuse to pay these parasites
I can't work out if you're a troll or an idiot.
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012

A lad I know is a law student who advised me not to pay for the simple reason that it is unenforceable.
A lad I know is a law student who advised me not to pay for the simple reason that it is unenforceable.

I'll repeat my previous comment.
As a lad, I refuse to pay these parasites

Good luck when you explain that to a judge

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/private-parking-law/
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek
Good luck when you explain that to a judge

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/private-parking-law/

A law student has even told me that I need not pay this so
Original post by JC.
They won't take the car away, but they will take you to court...

Long and short of it is pay council / police parking fines. If it's a private company have all the fun you like with them.

It would seem that in London they can if there are several outstanding tickets. Although I would expect that's more for on street parking offences. So I will admit I've got that one wrong. It remember it being very high profile at a time. Although if the court awards against you then they could instruct bailiffs or high court sheriff to recover assets from you.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/transport-and-streets/parking/penalty-charge-notice/Pages/Clamping-and-removal.aspx
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
It would seem that in London they can if there are several outstanding tickets. Although I would expect that's more for on street parking offences. So I will admit I've got that one wrong. It remember it being very high profile at a time. Although if the court awards against you then they could instruct bailiffs or high court sheriff to recover assets from you.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/transport-and-streets/parking/penalty-charge-notice/Pages/Clamping-and-removal.aspx

London is an odd place.
One of the very few places in the country you'll see double red lines!

I am sure your student of law knows much better than the supreme court. Good luck with that advice!
Reply 16

Why ask for advice if you're then going to ignore everyone?

I know this is a troll thread but just in case anyone else comes across this in future with a genuine question: yes, council parking tickets are fines and you either need to dispute it directly with the council or pay up.
Sorry mate, you haven't got a leg to stand on. Failure to pay will land you in court, possibly with baliffs knocking at the door, and a big black mark on your credit record
Original post by Duncan2012

Screen Shot 2015-11-16 at 22.36.44.png
OP. Do not pay these fools. They have no legal power to enforce this as they are merely council officers.

Quick Reply

Latest