The Student Room Group

I feel depressed because of war

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I also feel sad, just like you...I can't even enjoy a meal, a hot bath, studying at school, my family, watching a movie...cause I think of all those families that don't have what I have. They can't enjoy even a peaceful meal without fearing a bomb attack.. I get so sad , and also can't stop thinking about it. I can't ignore the fact that they are suffering
Reply 61
Original post by ANA.DGO
I get so sad , and also can't stop thinking about it. I can't ignore the fact that they are suffering

The solution to feeling sad is action.

Have you read through and considered the suggestions in this thread?
Reply 62
Original post by Simes
The solution to feeling sad is action.

Have you read through and considered the suggestions in this thread?

Right and how are you going to stop war in the world?

You can't its impossible.

You can stay as positive as you want its not going to stop war.
Reply 63
Original post by flab10
Right and how are you going to stop war in the world

There have been, over the past few centuries, many treaties which have defined and redefined what is and is not permitted in a war.

We've moved on a long way from the massive horrific hack-people-to-death battles of the middle ages that in a couple of days could kill a significant percentage of a country's men.

All sorts of tactics and weapons have been banned because of their cruelty or long term effects.

Rules have come in about targeting civilians and what is permitted by those in uniform and what is forbidden by those who are not.

The law has changed around much of the world regarding conscription; it is no longer legal to force someone to fight and kill others if it is against their conscience to kill.

So, there have been may changes made in violent conflict.

There have also been changes to prevent conflict, such as the formation of the EU which arose from a treaty designed to prevent another war between France, Italy and German.

International courts have been set up on every continent to prosecute those who break these treaties and laws.

The League of Nations and then the United Nations were formed to provide somewhere for communication to occur so war can be avoided.

So, there have been changes made to prevent conflict.

These have all happened because people have been active and made them happen.

I don't think violent conflict will ever be eliminated. But we can continue to prevent it, reduce it, constrain it and clean up after it to minimise its impact.
If you're passionate enough about it, continue to educate yourself about foreign policy and corruption. Read books written by scholars and engage in arguments to keep yourself sharp and dedicate yourself towards a cause you feel is worthy. A girl at my university recently received a scholarship to Harvard for a postgraduate course and no doubt the fact that she's done countless talks and written articles through independent journalism helped her along the way. Don't bury it, embrace it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Simes
There have been, over the past few centuries, many treaties which have defined and redefined what is and is not permitted in a war.

We've moved on a long way from the massive horrific hack-people-to-death battles of the middle ages that in a couple of days could kill a significant percentage of a country's men.

All sorts of tactics and weapons have been banned because of their cruelty or long term effects.

Rules have come in about targeting civilians and what is permitted by those in uniform and what is forbidden by those who are not.

The law has changed around much of the world regarding conscription; it is no longer legal to force someone to fight and kill others if it is against their conscience to kill.

So, there have been may changes made in violent conflict.

There have also been changes to prevent conflict, such as the formation of the EU which arose from a treaty designed to prevent another war between France, Italy and German.

International courts have been set up on every continent to prosecute those who break these treaties and laws.

The League of Nations and then the United Nations were formed to provide somewhere for communication to occur so war can be avoided.

So, there have been changes made to prevent conflict.

These have all happened because people have been active and made them happen.

I don't think violent conflict will ever be eliminated. But we can continue to prevent it, reduce it, constrain it and clean up after it to minimise its impact.

But its impossible to stop completely
Same here, I fell sorry for them sometimes too.

It just so sad, they are innocent but everything happens for a reason.

I don't read the news anymore because of that.
Reply 67
Original post by flab10
But it's impossible to stop completely

We don't know that yet.

And is that a reason for not trying anyway?

You may as well scrap the fire brigade because fires are inevitable or hospitals because disease and accidents are inevitable.

Drive at any speed with no seat belt on and no air bags - accidents are inevitable anyway.

Or scrap the police, customs and security services because bombs will happen anyway.

Just because you haven't the desire or imagination to do something about it is not reason for others to be demotivated and give up.
Reply 68
Original post by Blackstarr
It just so sad, they are innocent but everything happens for a reason.

That's a scary statement.
Reply 69
Original post by Simes
That's a scary statement.

I know.

I don't read the news anymore.
Reply 71
Original post by Simes
We don't know that yet.

And is that a reason for not trying anyway?

You may as well scrap the fire brigade because fires are inevitable or hospitals because disease and accidents are inevitable.

Drive at any speed with no seat belt on and no air bags - accidents are inevitable anyway.

Or scrap the police, customs and security services because bombs will happen anyway.

Just because you haven't the desire or imagination to do something about it is not reason for others to be demotivated and give up.

Look all I am saying is that there will always be someone suffering in the world through war and there is nothing you can do about it.

Even without war there will always be people suffering and there is nothing you can do about it.

There will always be sufering and there is nothing you can do about it. :frown:

we going to die and there is nothing you can do about it. :frown:
Original post by PrincessZara
I can't stop thinking about what children must be going through in their war-torn countries and witnessing their parents shot and stuff. All these graphical images/videos on Facebook and it all makes me sad They were born in the wrong place at the wrong time they don't deserve to go through all this. I can't stop over-thinking and getting all sad and stuff. I try to avoid news and facebook and sh*t but that's not helping.
To me it's more upsetting to see politicians who don't care about such things and then people who believe what they say like sheep.
Original post by flab10
Look all I am saying is that there will always be someone suffering in the world through war and there is nothing you can do about it.
Incorrect
Original post by flab10
Even without war there will always be people suffering and there is nothing you can do about it.
Again no there is much that can be done by politicians and people who want to become politicians in order to do something about it. Because there not lazy like us on TSR.
Original post by flab10
There will always be sufering and there is nothing you can do about it.
we going to die and there is nothing you can do about it.
Irrelevant. Start a new thread debating the function of the human race and then I'll be bothered to answer it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by 04MR17
Incorrect
Again no there is much that can be done by politicians and people who want to become politicians in order to do something about it. Because there not lazy like us on TSR.
There will always be sufering and there is nothing you can do about it.
we going to die and there is nothing you can do about it.
Irrelevant. Start a new thread debating the function of the human race and then I'll be bothered to answer it.

Are you really telling me that there is going to be some point in the future were there are no wars, no terrors groupd, no group gighting an other anywhere at all in the world? Is that what you telling me?
Original post by flab10
Are you really telling me that there is going to be some point in the future were there are no wars, no terrors groups, no group fighting one another anywhere at all in the world? Is that what you telling me?
That's not what I said. However, now that you come to this point (a separate one) there may be one day in the far flung future way past any of our lifetimes when countries reach a level of development when there is no more war or terrorism. Pessimists such as yourself would disagree with that but I accept that.

What I had said before was that there is plenty we can do to tackle the negative effect of these conflicts.
Original post by PrincessZara
I suppose so, true

Don't listen to all the defeatist attitudes. The sorry state the world's in at the moment really gets me down too, but that's all the more reason to act in a mindful way. If everyone just minds their own business and never does anything for society we're even more screwed, and it's an incredibly naive expectation of the human race to collectively do nothing.

The cliche is being the change you want to see, so you do what you can and hope all the sorry ****s who can't bothered to get off their arses and do something good learn that they're holding society back and should contribute.
Reply 77
Original post by flab10
Look all I am saying is that there will always be someone suffering in the world through war…

For the foreseeable future.

Original post by flab10
there is nothing you can do about it.
What do you think Doctors Without Borders do? They provide treatment in war zones. There is someone doing something about the suffering in war. So do the Red Cross and the Red Crescent.

(There are hundreds of charities and countless individuals making differences every day to the wounded, to orphans, clearing minefields, treating disease, providing prosthetics…)

So your first statement does not stand up: people are doing things about the suffering from war.

Original post by flab10

We treat cancer, heart disease, kidney failure and diabetes. Without treatment these people would suffer and die.

Things are being done about them

Your second statement does not stand up: suffering outside war can be alleviated.

Original post by flab10
There will always be suffering and there is nothing you can do about it.

We've covered both in war and outside war.

Your third statement does not stand up. There are things that can be done about suffering.

Original post by flab10
we going to die and there is nothing you can do about it. :frown:

Yes, we wil die. But when and how are two things we can and do change. And people are continuously striving to find new ways to identify causes and find ways to reduce or eliminate the symptoms.

Your fourth and final statement does not stand up. We are actively increasing life expectancy.

Seriously, you need to do a lot of learning about what is going on in the world. You seem to know nothing about human endeavour.
Reply 78
Original post by Simes
For the foreseeable future.

What do you think Doctors Without Borders do? They provide treatment in war zones. There is someone doing something about the suffering in war. So do the Red Cross and the Red Crescent.

(There are hundreds of charities and countless individuals making differences every day to the wounded, to orphans, clearing minefields, treating disease, providing prosthetics…)

So your first statement does not stand up: people are doing things about the suffering from war.

We treat cancer, heart disease, kidney failure and diabetes. Without treatment these people would suffer and die.

Things are being done about them

Your second statement does not stand up: suffering outside war can be alleviated.

We've covered both in war and outside war.

Your third statement does not stand up. There are things that can be done about suffering.

Yes, we wil die. But when and how are two things we can and do change. And people are continuously striving to find new ways to identify causes and find ways to reduce or eliminate the symptoms.

Your fourth and final statement does not stand up. We are actively increasing life expectancy.

Seriously, you need to do a lot of learning about what is going on in the world. You seem to know nothing about human endeavour.

But you can't help everyone that suffers. :frown:
Reply 79
Original post by flab10
But you can't help everyone that suffers. :frown:

Remember that day you saw me walking down the beach throwing stranded starfish back into the sea?

You said "You're wasting your time. There's thousands of them. What you are doing cannot make any difference."

And I looked at the starfish in my hand, threw it into the sea and said "It did for that one".

Change is incremental. Big changes are actually lots of little changes made by individuals. The best change is local.

Go out make a difference, flab10. It will make you feel better about life and people and humanity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending