The Student Room Group

Biology vs. Further Mathematics

Hello everyone.

I'm having to choose my A-levels now and I think I'm decided on three main ones: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. However, I'm struggling with my last option. I'm debating on either Biology or Further Mathematics. I really enjoy Biology and originally I was settled on Biology over Further Mathematics. However, looking further ahead at university, the things I'm interested in are: Physics, Engineering and Computer Science. Now, I know all these subjects pretty much require Further Mathematics. However, I'm also very interested in the sciences and I am considering a career in them - I like enjoy Biology and I'm reluctant not to study it in college but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be making an "informed" decision going with Biology over Further Mathematics. For anyone who's been in this position, what should I do? Also, how hard is Further Mathematics? I know it differs for different students but I'd really be aiming for A / A* (although I don't want to not pick it because it's hard)

Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Joshua-P
Hello everyone.

I'm having to choose my A-levels now and I think I'm decided on three main ones: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. However, I'm struggling with my last option. I'm debating on either Biology or Further Mathematics. I really enjoy Biology and originally I was settled on Biology over Further Mathematics. However, looking further ahead at university, the things I'm interested in are: Physics, Engineering and Computer Science. Now, I know all these subjects pretty much require Further Mathematics. However, I'm also very interested in the sciences and I am considering a career in them - I like enjoy Biology and I'm reluctant not to study it in college but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be making an "informed" decision going with Biology over Further Mathematics. For anyone who's been in this position, what should I do? Also, how hard is Further Mathematics? I know it differs for different students but I'd really be aiming for A / A* (although I don't want to not pick it because it's hard)

My advice would be that if you're interested in physics, engineering or computer science, take further maths.
If you're interested in more general science e.g. biochemistry, biotechnology and you want to keep your options open, take biology
Well, obviously from the things you said you are interested in you should 100% choose further maths there is just no question. Further maths is a requirement for very few places but pretty much all places will recommend it and you will be a stronger candidate if you have it.

Yes further maths is pretty hard but i've heard biology isn't exactly a walk in the park either.
Reply 3
Can you do Bio A-Level and FM AS-Level? I think that would be the optimal compromise, if you're willing to go that extra mile.
The difficulty of further maths depends on your aptitude for maths, how much you enjoy maths and the modules your school picks. If you have a low aptitude for math and physics and you don't enjoy math and your school makes you do all five mechanics modules (M1 + M2 + M3 + M4 + M5), it will be very difficult. However, if you enjoy maths and have a good aptitude for it, and if your school picks reasonable modules it shouldn't be too difficult. I only achieved an A in GCSE Maths and I'm currently in the first year of further maths and I'm coping with it pretty well - I'm achieving a mix of grades A and Bs in mock exams and class tests
(edited 8 years ago)
Do both!
Reply 6
I did the same A-levels. I did biology till AS-level and I'm currently doing the full further maths a-level. I think you should go for that route if possible.
Hello everyone.

Hi,

I am currently an A2 student taking Further maths, and I have to say it's the best subject I chose to take. When I spoke to a university teacher for Economics at Cambridge, the chat wasn't about my Economics AS, it was about my further maths AS. Generally, because FM is so hard, universities like Reading, Essex etc. lower the entry requirements by a grade sometimes because they recognise it's harder than other A-Levels, and that they probably have a stronger applicant. If I'm honest, I didn't find it as hard as people make out, there are about 9 questions in each maths exam so you could argue you don't need 100% knowledge in it to get an A, or even 100UMS. If you intend to study physics at a top university some require that you take the unit Mechanics 3 which is only available in further maths. But like others said, it depends on what you want to do at university.
Reply 8
I am currently doing A level Biology and I really enjoy it. I don't know much about further maths, only that one of my friends does it and she really enjoys it (she does Chemistry Physics and further maths). But, it would probably be more relevant for you to choose further maths as that is most likely a preferred or required entry requirement for courses related to Physics, Engineering and Computer Science
Biology would be more useful for health-related courses in my opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Hello everyone.

Physics, Engineering and Comp Sci don't actually require FM (though its recommended for higher ranking unis such as Imperial College, as most of their applicants do it).

In all honesty you sound more interested in my Biology so you should choose it. You could always change your subject during the first few months of A-levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
With Physics and Mathematics you stand a good chance at getting into any of the courses you've listed. If you're specifically interested in pursuing the Mathematics course (G100) or a combination of Mathematics with other degrees such as the Mathematics and Economics/Mathematics with Economics course you will be required for most universities to present Further Mathematics.

If you're mathematically oriented, Further Maths can be self taught. Sit down, read the chapters one by one. Perform the exercises. You'll blitz through them rapidly.
Pick Biology.FM can always be self taught easily.
Hello everyone.

I take biology and further maths. Further maths isn't really too complicated to be fair. It just looks confusing when you first look at it. Biology is interesting but the practicals can be a pain. Are you more passionate about maths or science in you opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you considered doing maths, physics, further maths and biology?
Hello everyone.

further maths is hard and so is biology , biology is just learning things and exam technique where as further maths requires hours and hours of practice questions

Quick Reply

Latest