itslauren24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can anybody tell me whether psychology is a respected A-level? I'm thinking of pairing it with Chemistry, English Lang/ Lit Combined and History. I'm not sure whether I want to do a psychology degree, but I would like it to be a possible option. Other degree options for me include Law, English, History and Journalism. Would a psychology A-level hinder any of these degree options??
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itslauren24)
Can anybody tell me whether psychology is a respected A-level? I'm thinking of pairing it with Chemistry, English Lang/ Lit Combined and History. I'm not sure whether I want to do a psychology degree, but I would like it to be a possible option. Other degree options for me include Law, English, History and Journalism. Would a psychology A-level hinder any of these degree options??
History and English would be fab alone for a law degree, and chem and psych combine well for a psych degree (the science would probably lower the boundaries for you to get into the course). I'd say it wouldn't affect any of your course options, and yes it's regarded as a science from most universities. If you want to go further into chemistry, psychology could get you onto a uni course but I've recently discovered that you need a bare minimum of 2 proper science subjects (bio, chem, maths, physics)- keep this in mind!

I'm in year 12 and I originally took biology, psychology, German and geography but I recently dropped psych for chemistry. Chemistry is an absolute pain in the back side and I'm petrified and struggling, but knowing I want to do biomedicine at university I know deep down its the best decision for me.
I found with psychology there was such a high demand for content knowledge. Its an AS course that you've never ever studied before and the first term or two is research methods which will make you suicidal. It's a good subject to take for dinner-table conversations, but the questions are worded so strangely and it's incredibly repetitive. I was with AQA and I found that the course was really only ABOUT psychology as a subject, not actual psychology. We studied wether its respected as a science, how its emerged over the years, how we measure psychology stuff etc, which wasn't really what I expected.

The same goes for every subject tbh- if you're willing to work and you've got a goal you should be OK. At the beginning please understand that you'll get Us and there WILL be people in your classes flying about with As and Bs and they'll judge you so much- but you've got 2 years left at school. Don't screw it up and don't give a damn about what people think. We're 3 months in and I'm already regretting how little questions I've asked. ASK QUESTIONS ASK QUESTIONS ASK QUESTIONS

Good luck!
itslauren24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ImagineCats)
History and English would be fab alone for a law degree, and chem and psych combine well for a psych degree (the science would probably lower the boundaries for you to get into the course). I'd say it wouldn't affect any of your course options, and yes it's regarded as a science from most universities. If you want to go further into chemistry, psychology could get you onto a uni course but I've recently discovered that you need a bare minimum of 2 proper science subjects (bio, chem, maths, physics)- keep this in mind!

I'm in year 12 and I originally took biology, psychology, German and geography but I recently dropped psych for chemistry. Chemistry is an absolute pain in the back side and I'm petrified and struggling, but knowing I want to do biomedicine at university I know deep down its the best decision for me.
I found with psychology there was such a high demand for content knowledge. Its an AS course that you've never ever studied before and the first term or two is research methods which will make you suicidal. It's a good subject to take for dinner-table conversations, but the questions are worded so strangely and it's incredibly repetitive. I was with AQA and I found that the course was really only ABOUT psychology as a subject, not actual psychology. We studied wether its respected as a science, how its emerged over the years, how we measure psychology stuff etc, which wasn't really what I expected.

The same goes for every subject tbh- if you're willing to work and you've got a goal you should be OK. At the beginning please understand that you'll get Us and there WILL be people in your classes flying about with As and Bs and they'll judge you so much- but you've got 2 years left at school. Don't screw it up and don't give a damn about what people think. We're 3 months in and I'm already regretting how little questions I've asked. ASK QUESTIONS ASK QUESTIONS ASK QUESTIONS

Good luck!
Thank you so much! It's so useful hearing this from somebody actually in college/ sixth form studying A-levels! I think I'll think a bit more about psychology... I will be doing WJEC in college so it might be slightly different. Maybe I'll think about doing biology after what you said about going into Chemistry as well. You've really helped me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads