The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Come come, subtle stabbing is not for any Oxbridge forum. :redface:
Original post by Jordan\
I like the fact that so many are interviewed for Cambridge. It gives you the experience and a real go at it. Besides, you are only called to interview if you have a realistic chance of securing a place, so it's pretty cool to get one.

As an international student I'm glad that Oxford interviews less people. I know that if I get an interview I already passed a big first cut which makes me feel better about paying for a ticket to fly over and interview.
Original post by ArtyQuell
Come come, subtle stabbing is not for any Oxbridge forum. :redface:

But muuuuummy, he started. :cry:
Cambridge clearly have the best applicants, no more needs to be said.

I love how Cambridge have just invaded this thread.
Original post by Protoxylic
Are you quoting yourself or a published statistic?

Check Cambridge's admissions videos, it says 80% in one of them XD
Original post by polarmaple
As an international student I'm glad that Oxford interviews less people. I know that if I get an interview I already passed a big first cut which makes me feel better about paying for a ticket to fly over and interview.

As an international student, I'm glad that Cambridge interviews more people. I know that I've got more of a chance of demonstrating my ability at interview and securing a offer (giving a higher proportion offers for maths at Cambridge) instead of being rejected outright due to non-standard grades.
Original post by thechemistress
Check Cambridge's admissions videos, it says 80% in one of them XD

He wasn't saying it was wrong...

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/interviews

We invite everyone who has a realistic chance of being offered a place to attend an interview more than 80 per cent of our applicants each year. If you have a good examination record and a favourable reference, you're likely to be invited to attend an interview.
Original post by DanieleZ
Last year they only came out on the 27th though, so I doubt it. But you know, we can dream:biggrin: you're from the us, right? are you flying over for interviews or skyping?

flying over with my family - kind of want to stay with my parents in a hotel over there if that's allowed, not in a college room. low key terrified lol I'll figure it out if I make it that far
Original post by Zacken
Perhaps that's because the calibre of students applying for Cambridge is higher than that for Oxford, necessitating higher interview rates. :wink:

I can tell you haven't done the TSA. :smile:
Original post by Pars12

I can tell you haven't done STEP. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
I can tell you haven't done STEP. :smile:

I can tell that you guys can't differentiate between different subjects.
Original post by ForeignStudent32
I can tell that you guys can't differentiate between different subjects.

I can tell that you don't know what implications are.
Look, it is not a matter of which uni is better, each has their benefits and downfalls, and goodness knows that we all choose whichever one based on a series of odd and varying reasons, hence you cannot measure which is better by a simple scale. It all depends on personal taste.
My point: 'better', 'worse' or 'more/less important' cannot be measured. You are entitled to your views, but can we not belittle our fellow intellectuals based on the stats or the interview process?
Please?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by enaayrah
I feel a little cruel:

Perhaps Cambridge's admissions system goes to every extent to ensure that the truly talented and suited to the university are picked? By meeting them face to face, finding out more about them as a person, and most importantly, whether they're teachable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps you are not very familiar with Oxford's system. There is something called admission tests that most of us have to take after applying.
Original post by Pars12

The TSA has been scrapped from most colleges at Cambridge because it shows no correlation to tripos performance.
Original post by Zacken
As an international student, I'm glad that Cambridge interviews more people. I know that I've got more of a chance of demonstrating my ability at interview and securing a offer (giving a higher proportion offers for maths at Cambridge) instead of being rejected outright due to non-standard grades.

If you are confident in your ability, the Oxford MAT gives you the same chance of demonstrating your ability.
Original post by ForeignStudent32
If you are confident in your ability, the Oxford MAT gives you the same chance of demonstrating your ability.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No.

Published stats. I have considerd applying to Cambridge so i looked it up. However, I like how with Oxford, if I can score above a certain score on MAT, I am almost guaranteed acceptance and test taking is my forte.
Original post by Zacken
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No.

Pretty sure it does. Everyone getting over a certain mark on MAT gets interviewed. And almost everyone over 80 gets in.

Latest

Trending

Trending