The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katty3
I have an a good knowledge of human rights, thank you. I don't see how that has anything to do with a woman choosing to not report the fact she was raped to the police.

I'm paraphrasing but you said that a man accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to article 6.

Original post by Katty3
Sex may not be seen as a big deal by some, but it is seen as a big deal by many. Not everyone is comfortable with casual sex, or sex at all. That does not mean a person is repressed or illeberal.

The two go hand in hand; if sex isn't a big deal and people shouldn't be judged for having sex whenever and with whoever they want you can't turn around and argue it's something serious when you drag the law into it. I'm not saying that it's your view, I'm speaking about society on the whole.

Original post by Katty3
It is more serious than a physical assault as it is violating a person. It removes the control from a person. It violates the personal space, and it removes a person's choice.

I have a right to choose not to have sex. I don't want to have sex. Ever. That doesn't mean that you or anybody else can say that because most people want sex, and most people will have sex at some point, that it is not serious to remove the choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're beaten up all of those things can still happen to you, that doesn't demonstrate any different between assault and sexual assault.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
I'm paraphrasing but you said that a man accused of rape should be guilty until proven innocent which is contrary to article 6.

The two go hand in hand; if sex isn't a big deal and people shouldn't be judged for having sex whenever and with whoever they want you can't turn around and argue it's something serious when you drag the law into it. I'm not saying that it's your view, I'm speaking about society on the whole.

If you're beaten up all of those things can still happen to you, that doesn't demonstrate any different between assault and sexual assault.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My view is that if a victim reports a rape, then that is recorded as a rape. Just as a burglary is recorded as a burglary even if nothing happens in court. A trial is to determine if a person committed the offence in question. It is not to determine whether or not the crime actually happened. Of course nobody should be imprisoned and punished until they have been found guilty.

Sex may not be seen as a big deal for you, but for some it is. That is a personal belief and feeling. It is serious because sex is inextricably personal. Just because you believe that it is not a big deal, doesn't mean that it isn't.

Rape is a more serious crime because it is intimate. It removes choice from a person. It can leave a person feeling dirty because they were used. It can give a person horrible diseases, a risk that that individual did not choose to take. Rape can also lead to pregnancy. This then causes a woman to have to make a heartbreaking decision about abortion, adoption or keeping and raising a child created by such a vile act.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, if we redrafted rape legislation to make sure that any non-consensual sex is not rape, I'm pretty sure rape cases would plummet to 0.
Reply 163
Are these bitch men that get raped every year
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

[video]https://youtu.be/25-G75Lz5x0[/video]

Claim to be raped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
My view is that if a victim reports a rape, then that is recorded as a rape. Just as a burglary is recorded as a burglary even if nothing happens in court. A trial is to determine if a person committed the offence in question. It is not to determine whether or not the crime actually happened. Of course nobody should be imprisoned and punished until they have been found guilty.

The difference is, with burglary the police can come to your house and see that you were burgled. With rape it's a lot more complicated because it comes down to what the defendant reasonably believed

Original post by Katty3
Sex may not be seen as a big deal for you, but for some it is. That is a personal belief and feeling. It is serious because sex is inextricably personal. Just because you believe that it is not a big deal, doesn't mean that it isn't.

I didn't express my own feeling on it either way, I said that society is moving toward this notion of 'sex isn't a big deal'.

Original post by Katty3
Rape is a more serious crime because it is intimate. It removes choice from a person. It can leave a person feeling dirty because they were used. It can give a person horrible diseases, a risk that that individual did not choose to take. Rape can also lead to pregnancy. This then causes a woman to have to make a heartbreaking decision about abortion, adoption or keeping and raising a child created by such a vile act.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're still not explaining any real justification for why it's more serious; being stabbed can do almost all of those things. This is sidetracking from my original point; the sexual liberation that has taken place over the last few decades is undeniable but despite this sex remains a big deal when feminists want it to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you mean depends on context? If they say no and they continue especially by force then yes, which would be the majority of these cases. Some would be people attacked by the threat of a weapon at night, some would be raped in marriage, etc. Kf course there’s always false rapes that happen but they’ve found here in uk that it is a low percentage of rape claims. And the 85000 is the number reported to rape support centres, not police. If they are reporting it to these support centres I think there’s a very good chance it did really happen. But anyways, Muslims do a large portion of the rapes in U.K., as seen with the grooming gang cases which is definitely rape anyway. 87 per cent of gang rape in U.K. is done by Muslims.
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-44252555

I'd like to point out that saying you've been sexually assaulted is not the same as someone being convicted of sexually assaulting you.

In London in the same week two cases fell apart. For the same charge. What do you think the chances of that are?

Now let's look at India, where you can happily gang rape a child and expect to get nothing more than a tsk-tsk. Or Egypt, where it's a part of their "culture" to sexually abuse women who are non-muslim.
Reply 168
You have to learn your definitions, "Rape culture" is not a culture where there is a lot of raping. "Rape culture" is when people are raped and is acceptable for that society, meaning they don't even try to do something to stop rape... this is not what the UK is doing. Rape is not accepted/embraced or ignored by the UK, therefore it is not a rape culture.
Jorgeya.
A 3 yr old thread. Why didn't you start a new one?
I utterly hate sensationalism to the core. I was brought up in a community where we would discuss things in a civil manner and I just find it disgusting to say the UK has a "rape culture" when it's just that you want to bring attention to a serious problem. I agree it needs sorting but there's a reason why you don't cry wolf when you see a bunch of feral dogs chasing after you.
because I can I guess
Reply 172
Original post by slade p

because sex has been portrayed to us both through the media and through our upbringing to be such a taboo subject I think this factor has a large influence on the little number of people that speak out because they feel emabrresed or ashamed. the media culture is damaging and basically controls our perceptions of nearly every topic under the sun. the media is fcked but we all follow so blindly to it and rightly so as I would say 90% of all our info comes from it
There is a sexual harassment, coercive control, rape culture here. Go to everyone’s invited, rape crisis. It’s bad elsewhere as well in fact probably all round the world. I even get asked what my sexuality is after speaking to services. Not interested A sexual as too many issues. Companionship would be nice.Try to report get nowhere or too much bother and retraumatising.

Latest

Trending

Trending