The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madmed16
Are you sure...? By the time legal action is called for and the court intervene, they would probably have died... I would rather be sued for saving a life than losing one. I'm not 100% sure but if it is an urgent blood transfusion they do not have a lot of time. I thought that if a child was incompetent then you would turn to the family, but if they still refuse then you need to decide what is best for that patient (although family consent is very much appreciated)? Can someone else clarify what would happen in this circumstance? You could be right, but I've heard different :smile:

It is a matter of a judge signing a piece of paper rather than a full blown court case with jury, so it can be done very fast :smile: and just for reference you should avoid getting sued in general, just because you're saving a life doesn't mean anything because you're breaking the mum's consent without higher power allowing you to - this isn't like in med dramas where they're just like 'I'm gunna do the blood transfusion anyway!!! *wheels off patient to operating room by them self*'. While your duty is to your patient it is outlined by the GMC that a parent can give or take away consent if the child is underage or is lacking capacity, however if you feel that it is 100% necessary that the transfusion occurs in the immediate future you have to seek legal council as you do not have the authority to overrule it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
It is a matter of a judge signing a piece of paper rather than a full blown court case with jury, so it can be done very fast :smile: and just for reference you should avoid getting sued in general, just because you're saving a life doesn't mean anything because you're breaking the mum's consent without higher power allowing you to - this isn't like in med dramas where they're just like 'I'm gunna do the blood transfusion anyway!!! *wheels off patient to operating room by them self*'. While your duty is to your patient it is outlined by the GMC that a parent can give or take away consent if the child is underage or is lacking capacity, however if you feel that it is 100% necessary that the transfusion occurs in the immediate future you have to seek legal council as you do not have the authority to overrule it. :smile:

Edit: didn't realise it was over the phone for the legal action nor that you could do it without legal intervention first

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 282
That would be true if they were classified as an adult, but in this case, they are only 14 years old, and therefore seen as a young person/child. 😊

Ah okay! That makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! 98% in favour of strikes - and one of the strikes is on my interview day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34859860
Original post by cookiemonster15
Ok, I have a question: A patient who suffers from a chronic illness comes up to you (the doctor) and tells you he wants to undergo Euthanasia, how would you respond?

Although this one was mostly answered, I would also try to advice them on the end of life care and the choices they still have (which almost parallels voluntary passive euthanasia - such as DNR orders / rejecting certain medical interventions further donw the line) and palliative care where perhaps some of their problems could be addressed such as controlling their pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I do apologise, I was not aware that you just had to phone the court. I thought it entailed more involvement with them. :smile:

Haha, don't worry, being sued is not on my " to do" list! And please do not think that I base my ethical understanding on medical dramas (I don't actually watch any) - I find it rather patronising :wink:
Hey everyone,

Due to popular demand, we've made a table on our blog pages with updates about the interview process for ALL the university medical schools in the UK for the A100 course!

For each medical school, the table includes:
- Whether they've sent out invitations to interview
- When they started sending out invitations
- Whether they've completed sending out invitations to interview
- When they will finish sending out invitations
- The style of interview, whether traditional or MMI

To access the free table, just click here!

Good luck to you all!

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hey everyone,

Due to popular demand, we've made a table on our blog pages with updates about the interview process for ALL the university medical schools in the UK for the A100 course!

Good luck to you all!

The Medic Portal

This is very useful - Nottingham started sending out interviews today. Received one about 45 minutes ago. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 289
The Medic Portal are the GOAT
Original post by Binkyg23
Wow! Well done! When did you apply?

Application sent off just before the deadline - 13th I think! Thank you, and I hope yours is going well! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

Good luck to you all!

The Medic Portal

Thanks, this is very useful and concise. Glasgow has already started giving out interviews for some time. :smile:
Reply 292
Original post by chehjuan
Thanks, this is very useful and concise. Glasgow has already started giving out interviews for some time. :smile:

errrm, not for medicine they haven't

Thanks Chehjuan :smile: We spoke to Glasgow today and they told us later in November / December. Are you undergrad?
Ah, I do apologise, I was not aware that you just had to phone the court. I thought it entailed more involvement with them. :smile:

Haha, don't worry, being sued is not on my " to do" list! And please do not think that I base my ethical understanding on medical dramas (I don't actually watch any) - I find it rather patronising :wink:

Lol sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising :P

I guess we both learnt something about the protocol in these situations which is helpful! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising :P

I guess we both learnt something about the protocol in these situations which is helpful! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's cool!

Yeah haha!
Original post by SimSembi
errrm, not for medicine they haven't

Thanks Chehjuan :smile: We spoke to Glasgow today and they told us later in November / December. Are you undergrad?

Oops sorry! My bad :smile: I thought I read about it a while ago when I was stalking the student room, but evidently I was mistaken. Thanks for clarifying!
Reply 297
Oops sorry! My bad :smile: I thought I read about it a while ago when I was stalking the student room, but evidently I was mistaken. Thanks for clarifying!

haha no worries, made my heart jump for a moment :smile:
Reply 298
Hey everyone,

Good luck to you all!

The Medic Portal

Do you know whether it will take longer for under 18s to hear about interviews?
Original post by Anni_
Do you know whether it will take longer for under 18s to hear about interviews?

Hi there,

As far as we know, the largest difference occurs for undergraduate, and graduate entry applicants. Often universities go through one set (either undergrad OR grad entry) of applicants first, then process the second one afterwards.

If you are an undergraduate applicant, many other undergrad applicants will be in their final year of school, so lots of students will be 17 still.

We'd recommend you try giving the admissions offices of the medical schools you applied to a call, to double check.

We hope this helps, and good luck!

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending