The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by polarmaple
At first I was happy for people when they found out they got an interview.

The stress is killing me and every time I see someone else got an interview I just want to scream.
:frown::2in1:

(although Im still super happy for them)

Hahaha I can completely relate
Reply 5501
Original post by CJaneH
Has anyone heard from Keble for law? Seems like most of the colleges have sent out a few decisions so far but nothing from Keble yet

Hey:smile: I just received an email from Keble inviting me for an interview for Law. The wait will probably be over soon! All the best to you x
Original post by jx5
Hey:smile: I just received an email from Keble inviting me for an interview for Law. The wait will probably be over soon! All the best to you x

when did you receive the email?
Reply 5503
Original post by ilovecake123
when did you receive the email?

about an hour ago :smile:
Original post by Msachdeva789
Well congratulations!! I'm waiting for a Comp Sci and Phil decision. I didn't think that they would have begun giving till next week. But now I'm a bit anxious :P

I applied to the same course and surely messed MAT up a little bit.
Original post by Renewhj
I applied to the same course and surely messed MAT up a little bit.

same here, not expecting anything more than 40-42ish, you?
Original post by jx5

Oh wow well done! :smile: Do you mind telling me your stats? x
who's nervous for their bmat results?
Reply 5508
Original post by CJaneH
Oh wow well done! :smile: Do you mind telling me your stats? x

Thank you:smile:

I'm studying the IB, and I'm predicted 44 out of 45.
Original post by Msachdeva789
same here, not expecting anything more than 40-42ish, you?

Did some simple counting stuff wrong which frustrated me annoyingly. I'm expecting 50ish. I haven't lost hope cuz the requirement of mat seems to be not that harsh for ComPhil applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats! Wish I could receive a reply from Hertford whether it's a invite or rejection. Then I can really start to prepare for it or start to relax a bit. I'm stressing out now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by connieiscrazy
I got an email from Balliol college today saying that I will be invited to interview for Law, but the invitation will come from St Hugh's college because I've been re-allocated.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Myself and a friend of mine were both reallocated for Law. It's not necessarily a determination of your potential as an applicant or anything, just to redistribute an even spread of applicants to all the colleges. Good luck and congratulations!
Original post by jx5
Thank you:smile:

I'm studying the IB, and I'm predicted 44 out of 45.

Same here!
Reply 5513
Original post by JosieH98
Same here!

cool :smile: which college are you applying to?
Original post by jx5
cool :smile: which college are you applying to?

Chemistry at Jesus college, you? :smile:
Original post by Renewhj
Did some simple counting stuff wrong which frustrated me annoyingly. I'm expecting 50ish. I haven't lost hope cuz the requirement of mat seems to be not that harsh for ComPhil applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was counting on MAT? O_O Are you sure you got the correct year?
Original post by Topo15
Myself and a friend of mine were both reallocated for Law. It's not necessarily a determination of your potential as an applicant or anything, just to redistribute an even spread of applicants to all the colleges. Good luck and congratulations!

Allocation is assigned randomly, I think by the time of submission or something. When each college usually considers x applicants per year, all the applicants after number x gets moved to other colleges. Allocation is not based on how good you are because you are allocated before they read your file.
Original post by ForeignStudent32
BMAT is an exception. Most subjects the top 5% scorers are almost always accepted. Medicine is hard to get in, it is not that they did not do good on interview, it is that they did not do good enough. While other subjects, I get 75 plus on the tests, I can just do okay on interview and still get in due to less competition.

Medicine is just so competitve that you need an excellent interview and excellent score. Where in most subjects, one of the two above component would be sufficient.

Maybe, but I don't buy it.

Firstly, yes the acceptance rate is different, but not that significantly (with a couple of exceptions). 10 to 1 vs 5-6 to 1 generally.

Secondly, there is probably a correlation between BMAT score and interview performance. So even if 0% weight was attached to BMAT, we would still expect a similar correlation to the one seen. Meaning that the effect I brought up above probably under-estimates the interview's importance if anything.

And lastly: money. Organising your own entrance exams is costly but not extravagant. Having senior academics interviewing such a high proportion of candidates, over multiple interviews, over multiple days (all whilst providing free accommodation that can often could have been rented out for >£100 per night per room)... that's an extraordinary expense. Other universities interview a much smaller proportion, if they interview anyone at all. That kind of investment strongly suggests that the tutors believe the interviews to be vitally important for everyone (no one is exempt from interview no matter their academics, even though that would save Oxbridge thousands of pounds).
Original post by nexttime
Maybe, but I don't buy it.

Firstly, yes the acceptance rate is different, but not that significantly (with a couple of exceptions). 10 to 1 vs 5-6 to 1 generally.

Secondly, there is probably a correlation between BMAT score and interview performance. So even if 0% weight was attached to BMAT, we would still expect a similar correlation to the one seen. Meaning that the effect I brought up above probably under-estimates the interview's importance if anything.

And lastly: money. Organising your own entrance exams is costly but not extravagant. Having senior academics interviewing such a high proportion of candidates, over multiple interviews, over multiple days (all whilst providing free accommodation that can often could have been rented out for >£100 per night per room)... that's an extraordinary expense. Other universities interview a much smaller proportion, if they interview anyone at all. That kind of investment strongly suggests that the tutors believe the interviews to be vitally important for everyone (no one is exempt from interview no matter their academics, even though that would save Oxbridge thousands of pounds).

10 to 1 and 5 to 1 is pretty big difference. That is twice the rate =="

Interview is important, however, you said that people in top 5% of all BMAT taker , only half of those get accepted. However, for other tests, top 5% is almost always accepted. Score and interview performance is correlated but there are people who perform worse on interview than exam. At Med, those would be eliminated. At other subjects, those who perform worse on interviews are still accepted given that almost all top 5% are given an offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
What do we wear to interview!!??? I was told I can wear whatever I want (by the admissions tutors!) but I feel like I have to wear something smart.

Latest

Trending

Trending