The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lovecathy
Oh no, don't bring it back..

We're still here...
Original post by BritishBean
What do we wear to interview!!??? I was told I can wear whatever I want (by the admissions tutors!) but I feel like I have to wear something smart.

They care about your brain rather than your dress sense.

If you share that philosophy, Oxford is most probably for you.

(But seriously, wear a suit or wear a onesie, nobody cares - just focus on your grey matter and you'll be fine :smile: )
Original post by jonwithnoname
They care about your brain rather than your dress sense.

If you share that philosophy, Oxford is most probably for you.

(But seriously, wear a suit or wear a onesie, nobody cares - just focus on your grey matter and you'll be fine :smile: )

Haha I know, but it's hard to counter the mentality that an interview = a suit. Maybe I will just wear some leaves to show my subject interest! :tongue:
Haha I know, but it's hard to counter the mentality that an interview = a suit. Maybe I will just wear some leaves to show my subject interest! :tongue:

I wore jeans to mine last time - as long as you don't turn up in a thong and a glitter hat, it's all good :smile:
Original post by jneill
We're still here...

Why does the Cambridge part have so many more posts ... even tho we have more applicants.
I wore jeans to mine last time - as long as you don't turn up in a thong and a glitter hat, it's all good :smile:

You've been before?
You've been before?

I'm reapplying for the subject I should've done first time around - it's a long story :smile:
I'm reapplying for the subject I should've done first time around - it's a long story :smile:

I got time :P Might as well get to know each other now since we might be spending the next 3 years together.

I know the feeling, I've actually been to university for a year, and am now taking a year out and applying for what I should've back then

Same here! Nice to know somebody else is in the same situation :smile:
Original post by ForeignStudent32
Why does the Cambridge part have so many more posts ... even tho we have more applicants.

Empty vessels?
Reply 5531
Original post by JosieH98
Chemistry at Jesus college, you? :smile:

Law at Keble College :smile:
Original post by Pars12
Empty vessels?

lol
What do we wear to interview!!??? I was told I can wear whatever I want (by the admissions tutors!) but I feel like I have to wear something smart.

They say it's casual but then again it'll feels as though they'd be judging us based on our clothes, too!

I'd definitely wear something formal-casual, at least a presentable shirt and maybe a jacket. I don't really want to take any chances wearing jeans and a T-shirt, no matter how much they say 'wear what you want'.
Original post by ForeignStudent32
I got time :P Might as well get to know each other now since we might be spending the next 3 years together.

Haha love your optimism!

So as a boneheaded 17 year old, I decided for one reason or another that I couldn't *possibly* read English at uni without becoming an English Teacher (which was, at the time, a fate worse than death...), so I decided instead to read Philosophy. Oxford only do Philosophy when it's combined with something, so that became Philosophy & Theology, which I applied to at all my universities.

I was summoned for interview and pretty much bombed - but while I was there, Nottingham made their offer to me unconditional, which was kind of amazing. I was rejected from Oxford, so I accepted Nottingham's offer (rejecting Durham in the process), and didn't work too hard at my A Levels (there were family problems at the time and I should've applied for extenuating circumstances to be honest...)

I did better than I expected with my A Levels, but it didn't matter anyway because my offer was unconditional. I went to Nottingham and studied the subject for a whole year, got pretty decent marks overall and made a few good friends. But I was miserable - the course wasn't right for me, I hadn't engaged with the university experience, and family problems took me away from uni more often that I'd have liked (all three of these things are linked).

So I've bitten the bullet and quit uni this year. I'm reapplying for English, and working as a TA at my old high school in the meantime.

Hope this makes sense, I'm not entirely sure I'm typing well because I have a poorly finger :wink:
Original post by Sense00
They say it's casual but then again it'll feels as though they'd be judging us based on our clothes, too!

I'd definitely wear something formal-casual, at least a presentable shirt and maybe a jacket. I don't really want to take any chances wearing jeans and a T-shirt, no matter how much they say 'wear what you want'.

They are not going to judge you based on your clothes. Or else everyone will be going in tuxedos.
I know the feeling, I've actually been to university for a year, and am now taking a year out and applying for what I should've back then

That is almost literally my situation - I typed out more specific details of my situation a couple of posts back from this one if you want to compare :smile:
Interview for Law at Balliol! I originally applied for Worcester however...
Am I likely to get an offer from Worcester if that's the case?
That is almost literally my situation - I typed out more specific details of my situation a couple of posts back from this one if you want to compare :smile:

Not too far off mine! Except I spent a year doing Astrophysics at UCL and am now applying for biology :biggrin: Where else have you applied?
received an interview invitation for law from mansfield. so happy!!

Latest

Trending

Trending