The Student Room Group

Being expected to take responsibility for your own safety isn't victim blaming

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pineneedles
Every city has regions where it is best to avoid. I don't think the people there who are willing to hurt and attack you are going to give a **** as to whether you judge them or not.

What a load of ignorant *******s.
I'll rephrase that, not doing something blatantly risky is better than going ahead and doing it anyway. We're going around in circles.

Your judgement of what is and isn't "blatantly risky" is extremely limited.
Original post by cole-slaw

Your judgement of their judgement is extremely invalid.
In 90% of rapes, there was literally nothing the woman could have done to stop it.

The number of sexual assaults has risen recently, yet women are more safety-conscious than ever. What does that tell you?

Citation please.

Want to expand on that? You're basing that off a few examples I've given.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
inb4 ****storm

Your prophesying was accurate, aha.
Want to expand on that? You're basing that off a few examples I've given.

You appear to think that a significant proportion of rapes occur to drunk, skimpily dressed women down dark alleys, otherwise why would you consider that "risky behaviour"?

I've already explained to you that this isn't the case.
You appear to think that a significant proportion of rapes occur to drunk, skimpily dressed women down dark alleys, otherwise why would you consider that "risky behaviour"?

You clearly haven't read anything I've written.
If you want to actually look back, I've said I think it's inappropriate to tell people they shouldn't wear certain clothing. Look back further and you'll see I appreciate that rapes happen to people who aren't dressed provocatively. Don't put words into my mouth.
Personally, if I want to feel safe, and as though I'm not vulnerable, I will not go out to places where I live which are dangerous, and I will not get so drunk I can't look after myself. Worrying about the people I know who may attack me, and not being in control of that, is pointless, even if it is more likely to happen. Being a victim of such abuse myself, I'm well aware I can't do a lot about it.

No, you actually explained that most rapes are done by somebody they know.

What about the rapes when the victim doesn't know their attacker? Maybe a significant number of those victims were drunk and skimpily dressed at 3am.

While anecdotal evidence doesn't really account for much, the only two rapes there have been near me were like that.
Original post by Katty3
Not her fault in the slightest. It is the rapists fault for raping, not the victims fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. What you are doing is victim blaming. A woman has the right to wear whatever she likes.

That analogy is flawed,

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't about 'rights', this is about trying to protect people from harm. I have a right to not wear a seat belt. I have a right to leave my doors and windows open 24/7 with a sign outside my house that says "my doors are open, come and steal my stuff". But would I do that? No, because I don't want to die in a car crash and I don't want to get robbed. Yes people have a right to wear whatever they want, but what they wear could increase the chances of them falling victim to a crime.
Original post by rhiannonm25
A woman is not a ****ing seatbelt, or a house with a window left open, they are a ****ing human being?

What? He wasn't comparing women to seat belts or houses with open windows...
Your prophesying was accurate, aha.

I know! My inb4s are usually on point, too. :frown:
Original post by FireGarden
No, you actually explained that most rapes are done by somebody they know.

What about the rapes when the victim doesn't know their attacker? Maybe a significant number of those victims were drunk and skimpily dressed at 3am.

While anecdotal evidence doesn't really account for much, the only two rapes there have been near me were like that.

Maybe some of them were, maybe some of them weren't. Would the girls have NOT been raped had they dressed more modestly? Probably not. Would they have been 100% safe in a taxi or a bus? Again, probably not.

As risky behaviours go, its not particularly risky. Probably less risky than not taking the precaution of putting up cctv around your house and bars on the window.

So I will ask you: have you taken those precautions? If not, how on earth can you expect to ask other people to take less necessary precautions?
Maybe some of them were, maybe some of them weren't. Would the girls have NOT been raped had they dressed more modestly? Probably not. Would they have been 100% safe in a taxi or a bus? Again, probably not.

As risky behaviours go, its not particularly risky. Probably less risky than not taking the precaution of putting up cctv around your house and bars on the window.

So I will ask you: have you taken those precautions? If not, how on earth can you expect to ask other people to take less necessary precautions?

These are just assertions. You have beliefs you nor anybody could back up because relevant data is not available to us.
These are just assertions. You have beliefs you nor anybody could back up because relevant data is not available to us.

Except it is available, as I have seen it before, hence my ability to speak with some confidence on this matter.

Am I going to go find it for you, hmmm...let me think about that... no.
Except it is available, as I have seen it before, hence my ability to speak with some confidence on this matter.

Am I going to go find it for you, hmmm...let me think about that... no.

"Yuh-huh, I HAVE seen it, but why should I show YOU?"
Reply 56
Original post by rhiannonm25
A woman is not a ****ing seatbelt, or a house with a window left open, they are a ****ing human being?

No, they are the person driving the car...
"Yuh-huh, I HAVE seen it, but why should I show YOU?"

I knew someone would make a childish remark like that. Its TSR at its absolute worst.
because that's how the majority of rapes happen, is it?

No, but it's how many happen and continue to happen. Something doesn't actually need to be the majority of cases to be become relevant and worth considering as a risk.
Original post by Dandaman1
No, but it's how many happen and continue to happen. Something doesn't actually need to be the majority of cases to be become relevant and worth considering as a risk.

So do YOU have cctv and bars on all your windows where you live?

Because if you don't, you're taking an unnecessary risk and are in no position whatsoever to criticise women for their actions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending