The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
Aberdeen has a team? Pretty sure they're the northern-most team in the country. I'm unsure as to whether that's close enough to you bu here's the link http://www.aberdeenroughnecks.co.uk. I think they'll have sides to suit both your brother and boyfriend.

We've looked into it, gotta be 14 to play and it's 40 miles from us so it's a bit of a push unless you can drive by yourself. The two of them though often go up to the park to play with a couple other lads
Reply 1761
Original post by KhaleesiStorm
We've looked into it, gotta be 14 to play and it's 40 miles from us so it's a bit of a push unless you can drive by yourself. The two of them though often go up to the park to play with a couple other lads

Oh yeah, S1 is like year 7 so 12/13? I think its an injury related thing. Sorry we couldn't help any more. It's good that they play a bit of backyard football though. If they go to uni they would probably be able to play there but it's a long way off for your brother.
Reply 1762
****ty refs. Any danger of a whistle? This game is ****e by the way 6-6 with merely sporadic good play from both teams on both sides of the ball. Dwayne Gratz needs to get out of the league. He is awful.

This game is rigged. The Jags caught a break in the last game with the refs making an error and they're getting raped by them today. Dodgy call after dodgy no call always to the detriment of the Jags. And there goes another one, a hold, the wrong way!

And there is Bortles guaranteed 1 INT of the day just as the drive was looking nice. The play calling in this game has been diabolical. Fire the damn coaches, they can't coach games.

TD Jags. Lead by 3! Rashad Greene on the 63 yard PR to set up JT! This has been so ugly. Titans FUMBLE Jags recover in Titans territory.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ugly win for your Jags @Wattsy, but a hey win's a win. Jags are now 4-6 and just a half game out of first place. The Colts and the Texans could easily lose their games this weekend, which would set up an ugly three-way tie for the division crown. I have to say, the defense came on big time, and Rashad Greene's punt return set up the crucial score.
Original post by Wattsy
Oh yeah, S1 is like year 7 so 12/13? I think its an injury related thing. Sorry we couldn't help any more. It's good that they play a bit of backyard football though. If they go to uni they would probably be able to play there but it's a long way off for your brother.

Yeah, he might go to play for Aberdeen when he is old enough. Not sure where either want to go for uni. I know my brother wants to go to Wellbeck or some engineering college
Reply 1765
Original post by jammy4041
Ugly win for your Jags @Wattsy, but a hey win's a win. Jags are now 4-6 and just a half game out of first place. The Colts and the Texans could easily lose their games this weekend, which would set up an ugly three-way tie for the division crown. I have to say, the defense came on big time, and Rashad Greene's punt return set up the crucial score.

To be fair the Titans TD drive was absolute bull****. They got 50 yards of penalties on two terrible PI calls so it should never have been that close. The Titans pass rush is pretty good though; it makes me excited for Fowler's debut because our pass rush is fairly pedestrian.
Original post by Wattsy
To be fair the Titans TD drive was absolute bull****. They got 50 yards of penalties on two terrible PI calls so it should never have been that close. The Titans pass rush is pretty good though; it makes me excited for Fowler's debut because our pass rush is fairly pedestrian.

I did see the PIs on the drive. The thing is, the NFL would never make PI reviewable since it's a judgement call. Call it 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, rather than as a spot foul and let it be. I liked Fowler the best as well.

I'm actually kind of excited for Brock Lobster to get his first start. The Kubiak scheme should run as advertised. The Bears will not be a pushover. Cutler has been a top 5 QB all season, Gase is good at scheming people open, and Coach John Fox has done a good job righting the ship. Broncos D will have their work cut out for them.

It's also moving week in College Football. Loved Saban's presser the other day. He's not taking FCS Charleston Southern as a cupcake. Which is good, as the Iron Bowl is next week.
I agree with Belichick's idea that everything should be reviewable, but judgement calls would just have to be very blatant to be overturned. The inconsistent thing is that catches are judgement calls in terms of "was he going to the ground" or "did he control the ball long enough to become a runner" but they are frequently reviewed and overturned based on a much lower standard of evidence than you would need to overturn any other judgement call, most of which aren't even reviewable (eg. holding, PI, intentional batting or illegal shift which are all judgement calls which have been incorrect and decided games this year)
Original post by SmashConcept
I agree with Belichick's idea that everything should be reviewable, but judgement calls would just have to be very blatant to be overturned. The inconsistent thing is that catches are judgement calls in terms of "was he going to the ground" or "did he control the ball long enough to become a runner" but they are frequently reviewed and overturned based on a much lower standard of evidence than you would need to overturn any other judgement call, most of which aren't even reviewable (eg. holding, PI, intentional batting or illegal shift which are all judgement calls which have been incorrect and decided games this year)

This is all true, and I agree, but I don't have any faith in the NFL as an organisation to be able to have the guts to change whether defensive penalties are reviewable.
Amazing to think that Fenway is hosting it's first American football game in 50 years. Boston College @ Notre Dame (even though Boston College is just 4 miles from Fenway, Notre Dame are the home team, and BC just have the 5000 tickets.)

fenway.jpg

Amazing transformation as well. Worth a look.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14160035/fenway-park-conversion-shamrock-series
Wow. Shocks all around the College Football world on College Football Playoff moving day...

#24 USC were BLOWN OUT by #23 Oregon. Vernon Adams Jr. proved that he's the real deal, and is going to be one of the best QBs in the 2016 NFL draft. He had a so-so start, but since he's returned from a finger injury. Oregon haven't dropped a game.Some lucky NFL team is going to grab a serious talent.

#9 Michigan State knocked off #3 Ohio State, in the horsehoe. Both Cardale Jones and Ezekiel Elliot have since suggested that it was their final home game, with Elliot abolutely hacked off with the playcalling -- he only got 11 carries, but came into the game with some sort of infection in his leg. MSU control their destiny in the Big Ten, while Ohio State need a miricle to get back to the playoff. They face Michigan in the Big House, in what will be a real grudge match. Elliot will probably shake out as the third best RB in next year's draft, but I think he'll be a first round prospect. He's really good. For Cardale Jones, he needs to transfer and rebuild his stock. If he declares for the draft now, he'll be a fourth round pick, since he can't read a defense to save his life, and his release is really clunky. He might be a third-rounder due to his insane athleticism and rocket arm, but the fact Urban Meyer can't develop QBs has continued. That said, with that loss, and some of the others, concerns about a 2-loss SEC team missing out on the playoffs, I think have eased. The loser of the SEC championship may get in, especially with the Big 12 contenders facing eachother in these last two weeks.

UCLA's defeat of #13 Utah in Salt Lake City, means they control their destiny, in a play-in match vs. USC for the PAC12. The way the PAC12 has shaken out though, it's a dissapointing season for the division which calls itself the Conference of Champions. The only way they have a chance of getting into the CFB playoff is if Stanford win out. Though, they have to win the Big Game tonight to have any chance. I still think the winner is coming from the PAC12 North though. Interesting test for the CFB playoff team though. How much do they value power5 conference championships? Can a three-loss, or two-loss PAC12 champion get in?

#18 TCU currently beating #7 Oklahoma
#10 Baylor currently leading #6 Oklahoma State (although both of those are in Q2, and OKST has come back from a 14-0 deficit)

undefeated #19 Houston lost to unranked Conneticut, which means that #16 Navy has a good chance to be the best ranked non-power 5 team. They're also in the American conference, but they played and won a tough slate. A quality loss against Notre Dame, and Navy pushed them very hard.

LSU are continuing to hit the self destruct button, losing three on the bounce to Alabama, Arkansas and now Ole Miss. But, the reports I've seen that say they should fire Les Miles are still way off the mark. He's a fine coach, and LSU have put in the most NFL talent from any college, so he's still safe. A disappointing end to the season for LSU, but they have a few more games to make things respectable.
Lol at South Carolina.

Stop making the SEC look bad. Losing to FCS Liberty...urgh.
Oh Jamies, stop it.
Romo is going to have successful return!

Cowboys can make it back to the playoffs.

Eagles got obliterated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1774
Who would be a Ravens fan? They're going to be 16 deep on IR. That's like 30% of a roster!
Brock Lobster...the Wizard of Os...this team Brocked and Rolled to a good win...

Okay...but for a guy making his first NFL start in place of a living legend and top 5 of-all-time-QB, Osweiler did pretty good and the Kubiak offense worked as designed. There's a few things that he has to learn, like needing to avoid sacks, and throw the ball away, or even being more aggressive running the ball, but I'm very encouraged by the play in general. Chicago have a tough passing defense, and he put the ball into some tight windows. I don't think Peyton Manning would have made some of those throws that Osweiler made tonight five years ago, yet alone in his current condition, and he had a lot of good chemistry with all of his receivers. Nice to see the running game get some good pop, although facing the Pats is a different thing entirely, especially with their top-notch run defense. Having a QB who is mobile enough to have teams respect the fact that he might run or throw on a bootleg opens up the run game as well. Impressed by Vernon Davis and Owen Daniels (despite his easy-looking drop), who helped out Osweiler. Big game by offense. Paradis is the engine of that o-line, and he's been a real stud throughout the season.

On the defensive side of the ball...wow. They came up with some big plays, but too much was going wrong. Cutler's ability to run was not respected and the penalties shouldn't have happened. Talib and TJ Ward need to get their head in the game and step it up...because they were getting burned too much in coverage and too many penalties were commited on them. The pass rush has to hit home more as well, because Cutler was having five, six, seven seconds to throw the ball, and their receivers even with Jeffrey out were getting open.

Much more work needs to be done for the Patriots game. I'd expect a big, big pass rush from them. Our WR vs their DBs will be the crucial thing on offense; our pass rush vs their o-line will also be critical. Brady will pick us apart if he has any more than three seconds to throw the ball, especially if LaFell is on Talib. Stopping Gronk is a different kettle of fish, but Brandon Marshall is capable. TJ Ward on Gronk...or anyone...just scares me too much though..,
Original post by Wattsy
Who would be a Ravens fan? They're going to be 16 deep on IR. That's like 30% of a roster!

Steve Smith...:cry2::cry2::cry2:
I really hate having to update this team.
Original post by jammy4041
Oh no!!!! :frown:

WR: Jordy Nelson, Packers, ACL
LT: Ryan Clady, Broncos, ACL
LG:
C:
RG:
RT:
TE: Jeff Heuerman, Broncos, ACL
WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Panthers, ACL;
QB:
RB:Jamaal Charles, Chiefs, ACL; Lance Dunbar, Cowboys, ACL.
FB:
CB: Orlando Skandrick, Cowboys, ACL and MCL
DE: Junior Gallette, Washington, Achilles; Danny Alexander, Panthers, Achilles
UT:
NT:
DE: Dante Fowler Jr., Jaguars, ACL; Travis Long, Eagles, ACL
SLB:
MLB: Kenny Demens, Cardinals, ACL.
WLB:
CB:
SS: Bennett Jackson, Giants, ACL
FS: Louis Delmas, Dolphins, ACL

LS:
P:
PK/KO: Shaun Suisham, Steelers, ACL
PR/KR:

WR: Jordy Nelson, Packers, ACL; Brandon Gibson, Patriots, ACL; Dres Anderson, 49ers, MCL.
LT: Ryan Clady, Broncos, ACL;
LG: Kelvin Beachum, Steelers, ACL;
C:
RG:
RT: Cedric Ogbuehi, Bengals, ACL (Again, another college player coming off an ACL injury.)
TE: Jeff Heuerman, Broncos, ACL; Zach Sudfield, Jets, ACL;
WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Panthers, ACL; Louis Murphy, Buccaneers, ACL
QB: Joe Flacco, Ravens, ACL.
RB:Jamaal Charles, Chiefs, ACL; Le'Veon Bell, Steelers, MCL; Dion Lewis, Patriots, ACL; Reggie Bush, 49ers, MCL; Lance Dunbar, Cowboys, ACL.
FB: (Zach Sudfield, Jets, ACL)
CB: Orlando Skandrick, Cowboys, ACL and MCL; JaCorey Shepard, Eagles, ACL
DE: Jarius Wynn,Bills, ACL
UT: Henry Anderson, Colts, ACL (bit of a cheat, but he's a 3-4 DE, so he could kick inside.)
NT:
DE: Dante Fowler Jr., Jaguars, ACL; Travis Long, Eagles, ACL
SLB: Ty Powell, Bills, ACL; Deiontrez Mount, Titans, ACL
MLB: Kenny Demens, Cardinals, ACL.
WLB: Adam Heyward, Redskins, ACL; Sean Porter, Bengals, ACL; Reshard Cliett, Texans, ACL
CB: Brandon Harris, Titans, ACL; Will Davis, Dolphins, ACL; IIfo Ekpre-Olomu, Browns, ACL (bit of a cheat, since he's still recovering from his horrible knee injury from his last game at Oregon.)
SS: Bennett Jackson, Giants, ACL
FS: Louis Delmas, Dolphins, ACL; Lonnie Ballertine, Texans, MCL

LS:
P:
PK/KO: Shaun Suisham, Steelers, ACL
PR/KR: (Dres Anderson, 49ers, MCL.)

:frown: :frown: :frown:

For persepctive, this is the fantasy team it could put out:
QB: Joe Flacco
RB1: Jamaal Charles
RB2: Le'Veon Bell
WR1: Jordy Nelson
WR2: Kelvin Benjamin
TE: Jeff Heuermann
Flex: Dion Lewis
K: Shaun Suisham.

Shoot, you'd win quite a few fantasy leagues. Maybe not against Shunter, but you'd win quite a few.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1778
Bell and Charles? You'd win almost every fantasy league, every season, for the next few years if they could be guaranteed injury free. You also get two 10 point per week average WR1's!

It really is awful though, I can't remember a team this banged up in my relatively short time watching the sport.
We ran some good plays this weekend but I think this was my favourite

If Jackson and Winston sync up like this every week, they're gonna do naughty things.

Quick Reply

Latest