The Student Room Group

Are you for or against euthanasia?

Poll

Do you support Euthanasia?

So I'm doing a paired discussion in English,about euthanasia and I'm agains it.
So can anyone give me any points that are against and what would the counter arguments be ...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I have no argument, if someone feels they would be more at peace dying, then living, then let them do what they want.

No point allowing someone to suffer against their own will, that's just cruel.
Reply 2
i think if someone wants to die because of all the pain they're going through they should have the right to

if i was in excruciating pain every day of my life - literally dead on the inside, and some happy, healthy bird comes along and tells me "bitch you have to suffer until you die by yourself - how dare you want the pain to end" i would be MORE than pissed off
Can't think of any reasonable arguments against tbh.
This is not a thread for the discussion of the pros and cons of Euthanasia. The OP is arguing against it and wanted help coming up with arguments.

If I remember GCSE RS correctly some of the objections we were taught were:

- If a person is in sufficient pain and suffering to want to end their life, it is likely they are not of a sufficiently sound mind to make the decision.

- Religious arguments (particularly weak since this is not a predominantly religious country so you would likely be torn apart on this, in my opinion).

- Others killing themselves might create a precedent that make some terminally ill people feel pressured into it.

- There is often sufficient palliative care available to allow people to die with dignity and minimal pain.

- It's arguably a violation of the Hippocratic oath.

- Potential for it to be taken advantage of by unscrupulous beneficiaries.

- Fear that voluntary euthanasia's legalisation could create a "slippery slope" leading towards involuntary euthanasia.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just a quick disclaimer: this doesn't reflect my opinion but I thought I'd actually help the original poster instead of launching an attack on them.

Arguments I've Heard Before:

Right, so if euthanasia was legal, how would you protect those who are unable to communicate their wishes from a bias family? (E.g. Family wants inheritance).

How do you keep it at just voluntary euthanasia? How do you govern it?

How do you measure if a person is of a sound enough mind to make the decision? That they aren't being manipulated by someone else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lozzie97
Just a quick disclaimer: this doesn't reflect my opinion but I thought I'd actually help the original poster instead of launching an attack on them.

Arguments I've Heard Before:

Right, so if euthanasia was legal, how would you protect those who are unable to communicate their wishes from a bias family? (E.g. Family wants inheritance).

How do you keep it at just voluntary euthanasia? How do you govern it?

How do you measure if a person is of a sound enough mind to make the decision? That they aren't being manipulated by someone else.

Thank you so much ,you actually read my post properly x
Reply 7
Original post by z33
i think if someone wants to die because of all the pain they're going through they should have the right to

if i was in excruciating pain every day of my life - literally dead on the inside, and some happy, healthy bird comes along and tells me "bitch you have to suffer until you die by yourself - how dare you want the pain to end" i would be MORE than pissed off

Or maybe it's a test from God ,like he's only given you the amount of pain that you can endure ,but you wouldn't know if you can take the pain,if you end your life
Reply 8
Original post by Ya Dunno
No, I have no argument, if someone feels they would be more at peace dying, then living, then let them do what they want.

No point allowing someone to suffer against their own will, that's just cruel.

Lol I don't know if your religious or anything ,but suicide is a sin ,so like if you kill yourself and play the role of God ,your most likely to be in pain for eternity in hell.
Reply 9
Original post by Geek_shay
Or maybe it's a test from God ,like he's only given you the amount of pain that you can endure ,but you wouldn't know if you can take the pain,if you end your life

not everyone believes in God...

you try and tell that to an athiest they'd come out of their coma and smack you
Reply 10
Original post by z33
not everyone believes in God...

you try and tell that to an athiest they'd come out of their coma and smack you
. even if your an atheist ,studies actually shown that euthanasias patients actually regret agreeing to it ,due to it being more painful then the pain that they are already in.
Reply 11
. even if your an atheist ,studies actually shown that euthanasias patients actually regret agreeing to it ,due to it being more painful then the pain that they are already in.

what do you mean... they came back alive and were interviewed? you can't come back from death...
2 months ago, the 'Right to die' bill got rejected by MPs in Parliament:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34208624

I think there should be a few things on that/
Lol I don't know if your religious or anything ,but suicide is a sin ,so like if you kill yourself and play the role of God ,your most likely to be in pain for eternity in hell.

okay.jpg
Thank you so much ,you actually read my post properly x

No problem, I was shocked to see how many people had jumped the gun and not even read your post properly!

Good luck with the discussion. I did a similar one but the topic was having an opt out donor register. These sort of topics are minefields, there isn't a solution with which everyone will agree with.
I can't think of a secular argument against it
Reply 16

I don't think making up transparent lies will help the OP.

Another argument against euthanasia is that if you hang on, a cure may come along. The counter-argument is that medical treatments take years to develop. The counter-counter-argument is that you can seek out and volunteer to participate in trials.
Reply 17
Another commonly raised argument against euthanasia is that old people may feel obliged to participate for the benefit of younger family members. For example, their savings are disappearing in nursing home costs and if they died now they'd leave a legacy but in a few years they will be leaving nothing. This could create a situation where they are put on a guilt trip by means of psychological pressure to volunteer for an earlier exit that they would otherwise have done.

The counter-arguments are: two doctors approve the procedure; privately interviewed consent with the patient.
Pros - freedom from pain and freedom to make decisions about ones own life. Essentially it is an act of kindness like we afford for animals in pain, humans should be afforded the same.

Cons - the guilt the person ending their life may face; we'd need to radically change the definitions of murder and manslaughter which may lead to ambiguity; I think strict supervision would need to be in place rather than informal arrangements otherwise someone might cover up murder by using the excuse of euthanasia.

Despite the cons, I feel the reasons for euthanasia outweigh them.
My body my right. If I have the right to live I sure as hell should have the right to die.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending