The Student Room Group

What did you get in your GCSE's and how did you revise (if at all)

Scroll to see replies

A*A*AAAABC (+ a B in CiDA, but it doesn't really count tbh)

I revised for all of them by doing about as many past papers as as I possibly could.

Kind of went hardcore on my History, English and Science revision; for History and Science, I basically ended up writing all of my notes on all aspects of my course by hand from Christmas up until the first week of May. English involved me writing as many stories as possible whilst listing out all possible text types I might be asked to write in on a separate doc. Flash cards were also made for quote memorisation and the like.

Oh, and read the course spec + individual mark schemes for your various subjects like crazy, especially since exam technique is often as important than the actual knowledge; whilst you can drone on about Deng Xiaoping's four modernisations - for example - to its fullest extent, a top mark answer is the sort of thing that's genuinely clear, concise and well-structured ... Or, rather, anything and everything the examiners look for in an answer, so thinking like one will definitely help you a hundredfold.

And yes, I basically did everything against the whole "think like an examiner" rule book in the C grade horror that is my Business grade (f u, Business) as a result so yeah.
B, B C, just get past exam papers, and ask your teachers for help on certain topics
Original post by Pentaquark
I managed to get 10A*s. I just read the textbook going over things that I didn't understand properly, then I wrote out notes using the right keywords for exam technique.I tend to say stuff to myself whilst reading it, and make sure your understanding is sound because then you won't have to revise a lot.
In science I'd basically memorise my notes so in the exams I could regurgitate the perfect answer the examiner wants even though I understood it, as I always worry about exam technique!
For English and languages it was basically winging it because my memory was quite good for languages and in English you could literally make stuff up and get marks.
Maths is just past papers nearer to the exams and once your getting solid A*s in a row from doing them you can pretty much relax.

Art on the other hand... KEEP ON TOP OF YOUR COURSEWORK. omg I spent pretty much most of my time doing art never mind revising for my other subjects.
By the way all this revising started a month before exams so you can literally cram it all if your long-term memory isn't that great. Just make sure all coursework is out of the way so you can just focus on revision!

wow well done *_*
Original post by 04MR17
DO ALL PAST PAPERS for Maths and Science and Geography and Languages. MARK THEM YOURSELF!!! Do some for English and History (one or two) and MARK THEM YOURSELF see where you went wrong and what to concentrate revision on.

TYSM xx
Original post by fii_xox
TYSM xx
I'm sorry?
Reply 25
Original post by tryrevise
5A*s, 6As 1B
For sciences I made summary revision notes for each topic condensed to 1 side of A4 which I pretty much memorised, watched a load of mygcsescience and did a few past papers to practise. My revision guides were my best friends.
For maths I didn't really work hard enough during the 2 years and kind of coasted along, but when it got to near the exam I used to watch the cgp maths tutor videos to revise as well as those achieve maths videos on YouTube where they talk you through each past paper and then I did some past papers to practise.
For geography/RS I used to make flash cards of all the content, and concentrated loads on exam technique so I had done pretty much every past exam question and knew what to write for it in the exam as questions got repeated a lot.
Languages- came pretty naturally so didn't really do a lot of revision, just made sure I was confident w grammar and tenses, I'd built up a pretty good vocab over the 2 years
English- try your absolute hardest in the controlled assessments, I had 100% in most of mine so it took off pressure for the exams, for lit I made essay plans and learnt my quotes whereas for Lang I just made sure I knew exam technique really well
art - ace your coursework and try to do well in the exam even though you're revising for other stuff by this point and don't have time to dedicate your life to your sketchbook
Music - did nearly no work over 2 years and my teacher couldn't be bothered to teach the course, hence I got a B, my lowest grade, in music. Try and do as well as possible in the coursework, for the exam I made little mind map summary notes which helped and there was a really good revision guide for the edexcel spec someone called Dan Conway posted on here, which is still on the 2014-15 edexcel GCSE music thread I think, so use that (lifesaver for the exam considering I hadn't been taught any of it in class). also, past papers are really helpful for music as questions get repeated a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For my English, Edexcel iGCSE Language A and Literature (Of Mice and Men, A View From The Bridge), we don't need to do coursework, and these are the exams I find the most difficult because it's so subjective that revising facts and technique is really difficult and almost cannot be done, there are only so many past papers to do, heavily limiting the ability to learn of practice. For those essay plans, what did they entail, and how did you revise quotes for the exams, that's proving difficult for me? How did you revise Language exam technique, as well? My teacher hasn't done very much on how the exams work, and we're effectively being thrown into the mock exam having done half a Language past paper, any advice would be very useful!
Original post by 04MR17
I'm sorry?

it means thank you very much haha
Original post by fii_xox
it means thank you very much haha
Surely not:
Thank
You
So
Much

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...
Took 4 GCSEs in Year 10, currently in Y11. Got A*AAC in maths, history, computing, and French, respectively.

For maths, I went through the CGP revision guide and made notes on what I struggled with and then done questions from the workbook and marked them. Also printed off a LOT of question papers and those papers on specific topics and went through those.

I did the most revision for history. Early in Y10 we had a mock coming up and my teacher asked us to create a small revision poster thing for Germany 1918-1945 for homework. I did it the night before and created a ~90 slide powerpoint full of information in 3 hours. From then, I didn't really need much revision for Germany. For medicine, I made small revision posters and highlighted the important facts and made it quite colourful, and I stuck those on my wall - you couldn't even see my wallpaper. I also found a PowerPoint that was a Germany timeline, and printed it out, so that there's three on each slide, and stuck that on my wall. I only did a couple past papers. I was 2 marks off an A*, forgot to get it remarked.

I didn't do a lot for computing, just some quick note taking the night before. For French, none, just went to the crammer lessons.

I will be doing the revision technique that I did for History for my Science this year as it seemed to work great!
Reply 30
15 A*'s and an A in AS Maths
you did so good!! x
Maths (A), English (A), Core Science (A), Additional Science (B), Art & Design (C) plus a bunch of semi-useless entry level, level 2 certificates, and functional skills.

I revised a ****load for maths and science, loads of 1:1 tutoring at lunchtime with my maths teacher, all the past papers, etc, getting my grades up from a C and EE respectively. English I revised a little for, but it was mostly working on exam technique and working efficiently in the exam.

I only did GCSEs over year 11 (did not attend school in year 10) hence having only 5. Dunno what I would have got if I had a normal 2 years.
i think i did very well and atleast got into my favourite college course of a join BTEC (Level 3 of course) in Djing and bartending. i received a grand total of 3 gcse's out of a total of 23 which were a D in gossip skills, C in drama, and a fantastic A in Paranormal Studies (one of my favourites)
Original post by LeFeuilly
A*A*AAAABC (+ a B in CiDA, but it doesn't really count tbh)

I revised for all of them by doing about as many past papers as as I possibly could.

Kind of went hardcore on my History, English and Science revision; for History and Science, I basically ended up writing all of my notes on all aspects of my course by hand from Christmas up until the first week of May. English involved me writing as many stories as possible whilst listing out all possible text types I might be asked to write in on a separate doc. Flash cards were also made for quote memorisation and the like.

Oh, and read the course spec + individual mark schemes for your various subjects like crazy, especially since exam technique is often as important than the actual knowledge; whilst you can drone on about Deng Xiaoping's four modernisations - for example - to its fullest extent, a top mark answer is the sort of thing that's genuinely clear, concise and well-structured ... Or, rather, anything and everything the examiners look for in an answer, so thinking like one will definitely help you a hundredfold.

And yes, I basically did everything against the whole "think like an examiner" rule book in the C grade horror that is my Business grade (f u, Business) as a result so yeah.

A*ABBBBCCCD. Not great, but good enough :smile: if I recall correctly, I revised a lot for maths although, I had no choice since we had a mock paper every Friday in yr 11. The whole year had to line up outside and sit the paper on a Friday for 1hr 45mins -_- and if you got below a C, you had to complete 'mymaths' work on the computer as extra homework :smile: I did quite a bit of revision for English lit because I always struggled with it.
Didn't revise too much for the rest though.
Original post by FirstclassFlyerr
i think i did very well and atleast got into my favourite college course of a join BTEC (Level 3 of course) in Djing and bartending. i received a grand total of 3 gcse's out of a total of 23 which were a D in gossip skills, C in drama, and a fantastic A in Paranormal Studies (one of my favourites)

what the hell :') theyre not even gcses! lol... or are they???
Original post by fii_xox
what the hell :':wink: theyre not even gcses! lol... or are they???

Of course they are real otherwise why would i have these great qualifications in them?@?@?@?@?@?
Original post by FirstclassFlyerr
Of course they are real otherwise why would i have these great qualifications in them?@?@?@?@?@?

don't get sarcastic with me matey
Pretty much all Bs and Cs, I was told I'd get a U in maths so it was the only thing I revised, ended up getting a B in Maths but it was to the detriment of all my other grades.

I ended up getting a 2.1 in English at uni though, so thankfully my GCSEs don't matter as much as they once did.
12A*s (one achieved in AS year out of boredom lol) and 3As. I crammed the night/few hours before the exam. I had 32 exams in total, 20 of which were in the summer or Year 11, so it was all I could be bothered to do tbh lol

Quick Reply

Latest