The Student Room Group

Ancient history students 2016

I was just wondering who is studying the subject this coming year and if anyone has any offers back?
Reply 1
New to TSR here. Yeah I'm studying the OCR spec on a fast-track course (so AS and A2 in one year) hopefully to get into my first choice uni next year (as my sixth form results day earlier this year was disappointing)
Reply 2
Original post by OSH18
I was just wondering who is studying the subject this coming year and if anyone has any offers back?

I am! Got an unconditional from Durham, which is nice. I'm just waiting for the rest now :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Geedawg
New to TSR here. Yeah I'm studying the OCR spec on a fast-track course (so AS and A2 in one year) hopefully to get into my first choice uni next year (as my sixth form results day earlier this year was disappointing)

Ah okay cool, so what's your top choice?
Reply 4
Original post by somnacin
I am! Got an unconditional from Durham, which is nice. I'm just waiting for the rest now :smile:

Congrats :smile: Durham is my favourite uni but I'm still waiting for an offer (only got kings so far.) Which college did you apply to?
Reply 5
Original post by OSH18
Congrats :smile: Durham is my favourite uni but I'm still waiting for an offer (only got kings so far.) Which college did you apply to?

St. Chad's! How about you?

I was going to apply to Kings, but the price of living in London is far too $$ :redface:
Reply 6
St. Chad's! How about you?

I was going to apply to Kings, but the price of living in London is far too $$ :redface:

Ah cool is that a hill college? St Aidans. Yeah I applied to UCL too but in all likelihood I'll end up at a uni with a lower cost of living. What's your top choice?
Reply 7
Original post by OSH18
Ah cool is that a hill college? St Aidans. Yeah I applied to UCL too but in all likelihood I'll end up at a uni with a lower cost of living. What's your top choice?

Haha, I had to do a quick search, but apparently St Chad's is a bailey college? No idea what that means, actually :colondollar:.

I applied to Oxford, so it would be a dream to go there, but right now I'm waiting for the interview invites.

What do you like so much about Durham?
Reply 8
Haha, I had to do a quick search, but apparently St Chad's is a bailey college? No idea what that means, actually :colondollar:.

I applied to Oxford, so it would be a dream to go there, but right now I'm waiting for the interview invites.

What do you like so much about Durham?

Haha ah okay well the city of Durham has a river around most of the centre, the part enclosed by the river is the bailey. A few colleges are on the hills outside of the city like St Aidans.

Ah good luck, I got an interview last year for Law at Oxford but unfortunately didn't get in.

It's quite similar to my school, the departments were strong, the rugby team was good and the city is nice. Plus it's close to Newcastle for the night life. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by OSH18
Ah okay cool, so what's your top choice?

My first choice was the University of Birmingham, I didn't quite make the grades in one of my subjects last time and wasn't happy with my insurance so I opted to do another subject this year. What exam board/ modules do your courses have?
Reply 10
Original post by Geedawg
My first choice was the University of Birmingham, I didn't quite make the grades in one of my subjects last time and wasn't happy with my insurance so I opted to do another subject this year. What exam board/ modules do your courses have?

Ah that's unfortunate but I know the feeling. I had an offer to study law at Durham. Asked if I could be a near miss, they said yes but I needed a remark to be a near miss and they don't like remarks. Went up 25 marks and they said I wasn't near miss even tho I just missed My grade :/ I'm on a gap year. Do u mean what were my a levels?
Reply 11
Sounds like a pretty similar situation to me, it's frustrating missing your offers, in my case was because of my Physics grade which isn't even related to my course!

I was asking about A-level ancient history in particular; what exam board you were doing and what topic areas you had to study.
Reply 12
Original post by Geedawg
Sounds like a pretty similar situation to me, it's frustrating missing your offers, in my case was because of my Physics grade which isn't even related to my course!

I was asking about A-level ancient history in particular; what exam board you were doing and what topic areas you had to study.

Yeah I know, it is incredibly irritating. That is annoying. Ah, I studied classical civilisation for AQA. This included Augustus, Tiberius and Claudius as well as many Greek leaders like Cleon and Cleisthenes. I also did Medieval history which was quite similar. What about you?
Reply 13
Ancient Athens and Rome myself, I've studied Cleon and Cleisthenes amongst others as well. Haven't started the rome module as of yet
Reply 14
Original post by Geedawg
Ancient Athens and Rome myself, I've studied Cleon and Cleisthenes amongst others as well. Haven't started the rome module as of yet

Ah, I found the Rome modules more interesting, although slightly more difficult

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending