The Student Room Group

What's your favourite historical era?

I posted this for the laughs and giggles, but I'm wondering, what would you say is your favourite time period in history? Any notable events or people? What do you like most about it.

I've always enjoyed studying the history of the Wars of the Roses. It was fought between 1455 and 1485. The Wars of the Roses were a dynastic struggle for the English crown which pitted the Houses of Lancaster and York against each other. Initially the Wars of the Roses centred on fighting for control of the mentally-ill Henry VI, but later became a struggle for the throne itself. The fighting ended in 1485 with the ascension of Henry VII to the throne and the beginning of the Tudor Dynasty. Though not used at the time, the name of the conflict originates from badges associated with the two sides: the Red Rose of Lancaster and the White Rose of York.

Scroll to see replies

Russia Revolution to the death of Stalin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
20th century
Original post by That Bearded Man
Russia Revolution to the death of Stalin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Fall of the Soviet Union which my parents have had first hand experience of (being in the east in all that) was quite an event as well. I just feel so bad at how millions of people simply lost all their savings and simply had to start over again.
Original post by CoolCavy
20th century

Which notable bits stand out to you?
Reply 5
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I posted this for the laughs and giggles, but I'm wondering, what would you say is your favourite time period in history? Any notable events or people? What do you like most about it.

I've always enjoyed studying the history of the Wars of the Roses. It was fought between 1455 and 1485. The Wars of the Roses were a dynastic struggle for the English crown which pitted the Houses of Lancaster and York against each other. Initially the Wars of the Roses centred on fighting for control of the mentally-ill Henry VI, but later became a struggle for the throne itself. The fighting ended in 1485 with the ascension of Henry VII to the throne and the beginning of the Tudor Dynasty. Though not used at the time, the name of the conflict originates from badges associated with the two sides: the Red Rose of Lancaster and the White Rose of York.

20th Century Europe
Original post by jamestg
20th Century Europe

It seems quite popular with quite a few people. What do you like most about that particular period?
the eygptian times and the medusa times
Original post by princessmaide
the eygptian times and the medusa times

Mythology has this surprising side-effect of being make-believe, y'know?
Reply 9
It seems quite popular with quite a few people. What do you like most about that particular period?

It's a very exciting and busy time (looking at it from our POV)

The rise of fascism in Germany, Italy and Spain are possibly the most interesting bits.
Which notable bits stand out to you?

the bits in it that interest me the most are:
-WWI
-WWII
-The Falklands War
-Rise of Hitler

and 1951 to 2007 bc that is what i am studying atm for a level :smile:
Original post by jamestg
It's a very exciting and busy time (looking at it from our POV)

The rise of fascism in Germany, Italy and Spain are possibly the most interesting bits.

My friends and I are comparing our study invigilator's rise from zero to tyrannical dictator to that of Hitler's. I would say the details are quite accurate.
Mythology has this surprising side-effect of being make-believe, y'know?

so medusa isn't real? i thought she was!
-WWI
-WWII
-The Falklands War
-Rise of Hitler

Good times indeed (or not quite so for the millions of the dead).
Original post by princessmaide
so medusa isn't real? i thought she was!

How many half-snake, half-woman with snakes for hair and a gaze that can petrify any living thing have you seen in your neighborhood?
My friends and I are comparing our study invigilator's rise from zero to tyrannical dictator to that of Hitler's. I would say the details are quite accurate.

Hahahahahahaha

Invigilators are so up themselves it's unbelievable... most of them at my school are either teachers who couldn't get onto teaching or retired teachers who feel they know everything just because of their experience. Sigh.
Good times indeed (or not quite so for the millions of the dead).

yeah ik they weren't good in terms of life but i find military history compelling and especialy 20th centuary history bc it is tangible
Renaissance, and I think Henry VIII is really interesting
-WWI
-WWII
-The Falklands War
-Rise of Hitler

We (very briefly) looked at the Falklands War during our study on Protest in Britain and it seemed really interesting, I wish we focused on it more..
Original post by Vicky628
Renaissance, and I think Henry VIII is really interesting

Ah, Henry and his many wives...Makes for an amusing story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending