The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I thought they changed it this year so that the UKCAT was weighted equally with your P.S, grades and reference?
Not going by the admissions talk we got during GU open day. I'm pretty sure (open to being corrected though) once the admissions criteria has been met it's UKCAT cutoff for interview then it's a clean slate for interview and the interview will then be all that counts.
Original post by Uhhugh
I thought they changed it this year so that the UKCAT was weighted equally with your P.S, grades and reference?

They stated the same thing on their website last year. It's not literally an equal weighting, they just mean that they take everything into consideration unfortunately (or fortunately, whatever way you want to look at it)! 😊
Original post by Bogshed
The UKCAT cutoff score for Glasgow interview last year was 2600 so (with the very slightly increased UKCAT average this year) I'm guessing the cuttoff will be about 2630-2650.

Qualifications, PS and ref just need to pass the minimum for UKCAT to be considered so, assuming you're okay in those areas, just go by your UKCAT score to see if you're likely to get an interview.

HTH

There was no cutoff last year, it was just in order of UKCAT scores. There were people interviewed with 2570

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Isn't that basically a cut off by another name?

Anyway I've just spoke to Glasgow admissions (was checking they got my predicted grades) and the woman inadvertently let slip the date they will be notifying people about interviews.

Apparently we won't be hearing today, as she said and I quote "oh don't worry about your a levels, we've got that info; no ones heard yet though as we're still compiling all the data. We expect to start contacting people on the 30th with offers for interview"

Of course she could be mistaken so don't hold me to it, but it's pretty much from the horses mouth.

Going to stop hitting refresh over and over now on my email and go enjoy my weekend.

Good luck everyone.
Reply 185
Oh wow thats a long wait haha
Yeah, even if you refer to it as "in order of UKCAT scores" there still has to be a "cutoff" at some point - it's just 2 ways of saying the same thing.

I thought it was 2600 but maybe it was "about 2600" so the 2570 figure quoted above still sounds about right.

I'd say if you're well below 2600 you've had it but if you're in that area it'll be borderline. 2700+ and you're almost definitely getting an interview.

Personal statement and ref just seem to be a yes or no really. I'm still pretty sure it's the UKCAT that counts (followed by the interview which will then count as 100% of the criteria due to the "clean sheet" at that point). It's the fact that the interview counts for so much that causes the PS and ref to not count for much pre-interview.
Original post by Torel
Isn't that basically a cut off by another name?

Anyway I've just spoke to Glasgow admissions (was checking they got my predicted grades) and the woman inadvertently let slip the date they will be notifying people about interviews.

Apparently we won't be hearing today, as she said and I quote "oh don't worry about your a levels, we've got that info; no ones heard yet though as we're still compiling all the data. We expect to start contacting people on the 30th with offers for interview"

Of course she could be mistaken so don't hold me to it, but it's pretty much from the horses mouth.

Going to stop hitting refresh over and over now on my email and go enjoy my weekend.

Good luck everyone.

Just want the wait to be over, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.
The 30th?!
That means I'll have 2-3 weeks to book a flight and accommodation?! That is if they really do their interviews from 14th to 21st of December. Can they seriously expect me to come all that way on such short notice? So angry right now. I thought 20th was pretty late already.
Ugghh when is this going to be over
Aw man, it is late next week! I just phoned them and she said "we will give 2 weeks notice"...
Reply 190
so r they still sending interview invitation today?
anyone got an interview?
ugghhh dont want to wait anymore
Original post by tutuwai
so r they still sending interview invitation today?
anyone got an interview?
ugghhh dont want to wait anymore

No, not today unfortunately. Unless the lovely admissions woman is just trying to pull off a very horrible joke. But I don't think that's the case 😜
Reply 192
i like the fact that people basically just didn't believe me.

Unless the woman at the university is having a massive laugh, we won't be getting news til the 30th.
Original post by Torel
i like the fact that people basically just didn't believe me.

Unless the woman at the university is having a massive laugh, we won't be getting news til the 30th.

Haha, sorry, I just had to double check! 😜
Original post by myastone
The 30th?!
That means I'll have 2-3 weeks to book a flight and accommodation?! That is if they really do their interviews from 14th to 21st of December. Can they seriously expect me to come all that way on such short notice? So angry right now. I thought 20th was pretty late already.
Ugghh when is this going to be over

From what I've been reading on other threads, Kings, Leicester, Newcastle and Southampton all only give one weeks notice so two weeks is pretty good!
Reply 195
Original post by vikingkermit
From what I've been reading on other threads, Kings, Leicester, Newcastle and Southampton all only give one weeks notice so two weeks is pretty good!

newcastle gave me a months notice haha
Original post by Bogshed
Yeah, even if you refer to it as "in order of UKCAT scores" there still has to be a "cutoff" at some point - it's just 2 ways of saying the same thing.

I thought it was 2600 but maybe it was "about 2600" so the 2570 figure quoted above still sounds about right.

I'd say if you're well below 2600 you've had it but if you're in that area it'll be borderline. 2700+ and you're almost definitely getting an interview.

Personal statement and ref just seem to be a yes or no really. I'm still pretty sure it's the UKCAT that counts (followed by the interview which will then count as 100% of the criteria due to the "clean sheet" at that point). It's the fact that the interview counts for so much that causes the PS and ref to not count for much pre-interview.

I personally think they are two different things, ordering is not the same as having a cutoff. After speaking to admissions tutors and medical students at Glasgow they've said there isn't a specific cut off, so I'm just going by what
they say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
How's it any different? If everyone who fulfills the criteria over a certain UKCAT score get an interview and those who fulfill the criteria but under a certain UKCAT score don't get an interview; then it's clearly a cut off by another name and you're simply going over semantics.

If however people with higher UKCAT scores weren't getting invited because other people with lower scores surpassed the minimum entry requirements and thus it bumped them up the list, then your statement would have weight but that's simply not what Glasgow does.

It's purely do you have the bare minimum, tick! Order by UKCAT, then top X amount get an invite.
Original post by Torel
How's it any different? If everyone who fulfills the criteria over a certain UKCAT score get an interview and those who fulfill the criteria but under a certain UKCAT score don't get an interview; then it's clearly a cut off by another name and you're simply going over semantics.

If however people with higher UKCAT scores weren't getting invited because other people with lower scores surpassed the minimum entry requirements and thus it bumped them up the list, then your statement would have weight but that's simply not what Glasgow does.

It's purely do you have the bare minimum, tick! Order by UKCAT, then top X amount get an invite.

All I am simply stating is what I have been told in person, by email and through talking to medical students. I suppose we will have to wait patiently for the outcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Torel

Yes, that's 100% how I've interpreted it, having gone to the Medicine talk on their open day.

It seems a bit harsh in some ways but that's just the way Glasgow do it.

So to get an interview it seems to be:
Minimum academic requirements - check
PS up to standard - check
Reference good enough - check
Then it's down to ranking by UKCAT scores - top X amount get interview, bottom Y amount don't - sorry, however you look at it there will be a cutoff score between the ones selected and the ones not selected.

Good luck everyone!

PS an interesting aside that they told us at the talk is that they get quite a lot of applications from folk without the minimum academic requirements and basically these people are wasting a UCAS choice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending