The Student Room Group

Revising for mocks

I have my mocks in a week, I started revising a week ago and I'm really struggling. I'm doing English (H), Maths (H), Core and Additional science (H), Music, Geography, Spanish, and RE. The subjects I need to revise the most for Science, Music, Maths and English. There's so much to remember for science and music, I just can't remember it all. I've tried revision posters ect which are helping a bit I guess but I get so bored and distracted so I give up and procrastinate. I got a B last year in science without any revision so I want a B or higher this year. I got a C in maths last year and met my target without revision but i struggle with maths usually and I know I can't just wing it again because I'll get a bad grade. I understand maths in class but when it comes to the exams I just can't do it 😭. I got a D last year in the English language paper (2 marks off a C) because I panicked and I'm worried I will do bad again as my target grade is a B. Has anyone got any revision tips?
Because you find the subjects boring it's hard to revise. I think the best way to revise for science would be past papers providing you have learnt all the content. If you have not or need to revise it again then cue cards are great with questions on one side and answers on the back. Do them every day before you go to sleep :smile:

For Maths, past papers again are great, I promise you you will see a huge improvement in your grade *o* Maths is just practice really,once you've learnt the concepts it's just about mastering exam technique.Same for science too! With Maths if you don't understand something watch Youtube videos and do practice questions on them after which you can find really easily :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by _ariane29
Because you find the subjects boring it's hard to revise. I think the best way to revise for science would be past papers providing you have learnt all the content. If you have not or need to revise it again then cue cards are great with questions on one side and answers on the back. Do them every day before you go to sleep :smile:

For Maths, past papers again are great, I promise you you will see a huge improvement in your grade *o* Maths is just practice really,once you've learnt the concepts it's just about mastering exam technique.Same for science too! With Maths if you don't understand something watch Youtube videos and do practice questions on them after which you can find really easily :biggrin:

I've tried revision cards in the past and they didn't seem to help. I've watched "myscience GCSE" on YouTube and his videos really helped explain topics I found hard. I feel like it's not sinking in, I did a biology paper today and it was really easy I just need to revise physics and chemistry which I find hardest. In maths I've done a few past papers but with the help of revision books and I got Bs in those but I know that without a revision book to prompt me I'll do really bad. Thanks for the help though, I'll definitely do more past papers 👍🏽
Original post by Bethany_k
I've tried revision cards in the past and they didn't seem to help. I've watched "myscience GCSE" on YouTube and his videos really helped explain topics I found hard. I feel like it's not sinking in, I did a biology paper today and it was really easy I just need to revise physics and chemistry which I find hardest. In maths I've done a few past papers but with the help of revision books and I got Bs in those but I know that without a revision book to prompt me I'll do really bad. Thanks for the help though, I'll definitely do more past papers 👍🏽

You're welcome :smile: And doing past papers will help it to 'sink in' because it's very repetitive and often when you mark them you get frustrated seeing how you lost the marks. Hence, you are less likely to make the same mistakes again. Physics core is mainly learning the concepts and Chemistry is memorization. Additional is a little harder but my gcsescience definitely helps, I really recommend you carry on with it, make notes if it helps. :biggrin:
Reply 4

The best way is just to relax - this guarantees the best performance.

So go shopping, watch a movie, go for dinner, have a couple of drinks. You'll feel much better.
Original post by Smonnie
The best way is just to relax - this guarantees the best performance.

So go shopping, watch a movie, go for dinner, have a couple of drinks. You'll feel much better.

Did you quote the wrong person?
Reply 6
You're welcome :smile: And doing past papers will help it to 'sink in' because it's very repetitive and often when you mark them you get frustrated seeing how you lost the marks. Hence, you are less likely to make the same mistakes again. Physics core is mainly learning the concepts and Chemistry is memorization. Additional is a little harder but my gcsescience definitely helps, I really recommend you carry on with it, make notes if it helps. :biggrin:

I've had past papers for homework from maths but I haven't done enough yet to notice questions repeated. I just can't remember the methods for working things out in maths if that makes sense 😂. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not understanding the method but I ask so many questions in class so I don't know where I'm going wrong. Yeh I looked through the CPG additional science book and it looks really hard and I haven't learnt all of the criteria in class so I'm just going to have to try my best. I wish I revised weeks ago 😂.
Reply 7
I've had past papers for homework from maths but I haven't done enough yet to notice questions repeated. I just can't remember the methods for working things out in maths if that makes sense 😂. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not understanding the method but I ask so many questions in class so I don't know where I'm going wrong. Yeh I looked through the CPG additional science book and it looks really hard and I haven't learnt all of the criteria in class so I'm just going to have to try my best. I wish I revised weeks ago 😂.

No?

Aw don't worry, since you don't have much time left now just focus on doing past papers :biggrin: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest