The Student Room Group

Finding a centre to retake at?

Hello,

So I didn't do as well as I'd liked in my English exams last year. I wan to retake but I'm very lost as to finding a centre where I can retake. I did English language Igcse 0522 if that helps, also do you know how I can find out of any centres around my area offer retakes for that exam board? Please reply as quick as possible.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Questioness
So I didn't do as well as I'd liked in my English exams last year. I wan to retake but I'm very lost as to finding a centre where I can retake. I did English language Igcse 0522 if that helps, do you know how I can find out of any centres around my area offer retakes for that exam board. Please reply as quick as possible.

If you are re-sitting as an external candidate then you will almost certainly have to carry forward the coursework and only re-sit the exam. The first place to try is to ask your old school if you could re-sit there -that would be the simplest and cheapest option. If they won't accept you then use this link
http://www.cie.org.uk/i-want-to/find-a-cambridge-school/
to try to find somewhere near you. Even if they don't accept private candidates it might be worth ringing up and saying you just want to re-sit the 0522 exam. If they have candidates of their own they might accept you.
Reply 2
I already asked my old school and they refused, my sixth form does not do GCSE retakes.
Reply 3
Also, I've looked at your links and the prices are very shocking! I've seen a lot of £300-1,000+. My mum honestly cannot afford any of this, do you know of any cheaper alternatives?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Also, I've looked at your links and the prices are very shocking! I've seen a lot of £300-1,000+. My mum honestly cannot afford any of this, do you know of any cheaper alternatives?

I'm sorry I don't. CIE is an international exam board and not that widely used in the UK (though many centres registered with them only use it for 0522) so you haven't got a massive choice.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
I'm sorry I don't. CIE is an international exam board and not that widely used in the UK (though many centres registered with them only use it for 0522) so you haven't got a massive choice.

Okay, thank you. Is it possible to do the exam with another exam board then?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6

If you want to avoid coursework then Edexcel (and possibly CIE) offer a 100% exam IGCSE in English Language so you could consider that although I believe the approach is a bit different so it may need some practice. I'll try to dig out the link to Edexcel's.

Links to Edexcel:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-english-language-a-2011.html
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-english-language-b-2009.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

You don't need to do 0522 - most Cambridge centres will offer 0500 - the version which has identical written papers but no coursework and no speaking and listening. Where are you based?
Reply 8
Original post by jkb1955
You don't need to do 0522 - most Cambridge centres will offer 0500 - the version which has identical written papers but no coursework and no speaking and listening. Where are you based?

Around the Ealing, Hammersmith or Hounslow area would be good. Is that what you mean by that.

Also does it matter if I retake using 0500 or even another exam board such as AQA or Edexcel? A retake is a retake right?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Compost

Do you know the latest time which I can join a centre for an exam? I don't want to miss any deadlines...
Reply 10
Cherry Hill in Hounslow are about average for price for private candidates. 0500 is the appropriate option for private candidates. The exam board entry date is about 21st Feb normally but the exam centre will probably be a couple of weeks before, so check

Julie
Do you know the latest time which I can join a centre for an exam? I don't want to miss any deadlines...

Main entry deadline is 21 February but some centres will close their books for private candidates before that. After that you can enter if you pay late fees (typically 2x) and then (about a month later) very late fees (3x). It is possible to enter on the day of the exam but I don't think you'd find you a centre who'd take you on those terms - it's more for centres desperately correcting their mistakes.
Reply 12
Original post by jkb1955
Cherry Hill in Hounslow are about average for price for private candidates. 0500 is the appropriate option for private candidates. The exam board entry date is about 21st Feb normally but the exam centre will probably be a couple of weeks before, so check

Julie

Okay thank you, and you are sure that I can retake using 0500 and it will be viewed the same as if I retook 0522?
Reply 13
Original post by Compost
Main entry deadline is 21 February but some centres will close their books for private candidates before that. After that you can enter if you pay late fees (typically 2x) and then (about a month later) very late fees (3x). It is possible to enter on the day of the exam but I don't think you'd find you a centre who'd take you on those terms - it's more for centres desperately correcting their mistakes.

Thank you for making this clear for me.

Quick Reply

Latest