The Student Room Group

Double award science to A-level science?

Last year I finished my GCSEs, I did double award science and achieved overall A grades both years, I'm taking biology and chemistry (my component grades were A*A for biology, AA for chemistry, AA for physics and A*A* for the ISA ).

Since we've only just started the course, I'm not entirely sure how I'm finding the subjects yet, e.g ive heard chemistry is supposedly the hardest science but right now i'm finding it easier than biology, although biology was definitely my strongest last year (and years before), and I'm getting worried that it's kinda 'too good to be true' if that makes sense?

did anyone do double award science and get high/good grades in their sciences for a level? or did anyone 'crash and burn'? :tongue:

i'm interested on how people found them after doing double:smile: or even how people found them in general i suppose, like does it get progressively harder through AS and A2?

Reply 1
I did a double award too and got 2 A's. I am also doing Chem and Biology A levels and finding Chemistry much easier. I think I am having a problem with the exam technique. I seem to be losing lots of points beause I am not answering the question properly. But its hard to know what they are asking from my opinion.
Original post by Dakterite
I did a double award too and got 2 A's. I am also doing Chem and Biology A levels and finding Chemistry much easier. I think I am having a problem with the exam technique. I seem to be losing lots of points beause I am not answering the question properly. But its hard to know what they are asking from my opinion.

i feel like in the exam for chemistry you can work it out through initiative but for biology you just have to know everything and memorise it all which is easy for some but not so much for others :/ funny because I always thought i'd be struggling with chemistry, but i'm getting A's in that and C's in biology :c
Reply 3
Original post by pommedeterred
Last year I finished my GCSEs, I did double award science and achieved overall A grades both years, I'm taking biology and chemistry (my component grades were A*A for biology, AA for chemistry, AA for physics and A*A* for the ISA ).

Since we've only just started the course, I'm not entirely sure how I'm finding the subjects yet, e.g ive heard chemistry is supposedly the hardest science but right now i'm finding it easier than biology, although biology was definitely my strongest last year (and years before), and I'm getting worried that it's kinda 'too good to be true' if that makes sense?

did anyone do double award science and get high/good grades in their sciences for a level? or did anyone 'crash and burn'? :tongue:

i'm interested on how people found them after doing double:smile: or even how people found them in general i suppose, like does it get progressively harder through AS and A2?

I did core and additional science and am one of the very few people at my college who didn't do triple/separate sciences.
I don't think triple matters that much- yes it covers a few things that are relevant to A level, but you'll study these in far more detail than those who did triple did and so the teacher goes over everything anyway. I got A's in Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS and am predicted A*AA in these at A2.

I felt like the jump between GCSE and AS level was tiny compared the the jump between AS and A2. A2 seems to be harder and far more in depth. AS biology and chemistry were more like memory tests whereas A2 seems like you have to use your brain and apply what you know a lot more.
Original post by ReeceM1
I did core and additional science and am one of the very few people at my college who didn't do triple/separate sciences.
I don't think triple matters that much- yes it covers a few things that are relevant to A level, but you'll study these in far more detail than those who did triple did and so the teacher goes over everything anyway. I got A's in Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS and am predicted A*AA in these at A2.

I felt like the jump between GCSE and AS level was tiny compared the the jump between AS and A2. A2 seems to be harder and far more in depth. AS biology and chemistry were more like memory tests whereas A2 seems like you have to use your brain and apply what you know a lot more.

It's the same for me, there are only two people in my chemistry class who didn't do triple! I've heard A2's much harder as well, but the exams i'll take in 2016 don't count towards my overall A level; they've kinda scrapped that and my entire A level will be based upon an exam in 2017 with both AS and A2 content. :/

just out of curiosity, how do you find the maths in chemistry? It's never been my strong point but i seem to be doing alright in quantitative chem at the minute c:
Reply 5
I got a B at double award and I do A level Physics. It's not that bad really. Eased into it alright.
Original post by aamirac
I got a B at double award and I do A level Physics. It's not that bad really. Eased into it alright.

I don't take physics but I heard that it isn't that hard once you get your head around the maths, once you've done that everything else is supposedly relatively easy to learn :tongue: some may beg to differ, though.
Reply 7
It's the same for me, there are only two people in my chemistry class who didn't do triple! I've heard A2's much harder as well, but the exams i'll take in 2016 don't count towards my overall A level; they've kinda scrapped that and my entire A level will be based upon an exam in 2017 with both AS and A2 content. :/

just out of curiosity, how do you find the maths in chemistry? It's never been my strong point but i seem to be doing alright in quantitative chem at the minute c:

I can't remember there being any difficult maths last year or in fact this year. Only bit of maths I actually remember is deltaH= m x C x deltaT, mole calculations and Hess' Cycles which are relatively simple.
Which maths are you referring to? I do OCR btw so your exam board spec may be different.
Reply 8
I don't take physics but I heard that it isn't that hard once you get your head around the maths, once you've done that everything else is supposedly relatively easy to learn :tongue: some may beg to differ, though.

With A levels it's all about the exam technique. You can have all the knowledge, yet fail if you don't know how to answer the question accordingly. It's like that for all A levels tbh.
Original post by ReeceM1
I can't remember there being any difficult maths last year or in fact this year. Only bit of maths I actually remember is deltaH= m x C x deltaT, mole calculations and Hess' Cycles which are relatively simple.
Which maths are you referring to? I do OCR btw so your exam board spec may be different.

I also do OCR, it's just there's a new spec for the current year 12's (so me) but I heard it's almost the same as previous years just a few things have been added and removed + we've been doing things like titrations, calculating masses with equations, water of crystallisation, the ideal gas equation (pV=nRT), things like that and they're dead easy, we haven't done the delta thing/Hess' Cycles as of yet but yeah I was just wondering if it's going to get really difficult all of a sudden since I'm finding this really simple and I only got a B at GCSE in maths :tongue:
Original post by aamirac
With A levels it's all about the exam technique. You can have all the knowledge, yet fail if you don't know how to answer the question accordingly. It's like that for all A levels tbh.

That's what i've got to work on most, might as well start printing off past papers about now xD
That's what i've got to work on most, might as well start printing off past papers about now xD

We started past papers for Physics in the first three weeks! Get started on those in prep for mocks! Good Luck :h:

Quick Reply

Latest