The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just realised Man Utd play Leicester next. Thank God, a bit of breathing space from one of them.

Norwich next week for us will be tough.

Nice to see Chelsea play Spurs.

Man City Southampton not too shabby

Liverpool v Swansea, a possible upset?

All in all I can see a few points dropped.
Original post by AR_95

Nope I disagree. Welbeck and Ox have nothing to their name, bar for an odd goal or two. Only reason people justify Welbeck is because of his defensive contribution, which is not what you look for in a winger ffs.

Well, we're not going to agree on this. Ox was excellent before his injury last season, for example away at West Ham.

Welbeck is a reliable player who will give you 6-7/10 performances when he plays.

We already have Ozil and Cazorla creating. Why do we need Ramsey on the RW?

It's pretty clear that he actually allows us to control the midfield. Not only that, the whole point of the attack is to put the ball in the net. As I said earlier, I don't care what sort of player we play in the attack as long as we make chances and score them. We do that very well when Ramsey is on the right.

He doesn't offer threat behind the line, he doesn't have an attacking presence with the ball. His numbers haven't been great on the RW either?

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree. He makes loads of dangerous runs off the shoulder of the opposing LB and is excellent at moving the ball forward.

Besides, he's not actually a RW, he just defends wide right.

As ****e as Campbell is, he offered attacking presence today and got at the end of a lot of good chances. We don't have that with Ramsey.

Are you joking? Ramsey gets on the end of multiple chances every game. The problem is that his finishing has been crap, at least until he finally scored against Watford.

If we had an actual winger that could finish instead of Campbell, we'd of walked todays game easily.

You don't think that the bigger problem was that we started a left back on the wing because we had 4 viable wing options injured? Campbell is our 5th option in that position, we shouldn't even have to use him in the first place. No big team that wins the title is put into that position.

There's an abundance of attacking midfielders in the market. It shouldn't even be a question of simply finding a player that's better than Ox/Welbeck.

The 3 positions behind the striker are our strongest positions and required no work in the summer with the exception of a world class talent who could take us to the next level. Our problem is that we not only can't keep our first XI fit but Wenger ruins young players' bodies (Wilshere, Ox, Walcott and more) and players (if you believe the deluded crowd) magically start picking up injuries when they join us (Welbeck, Ozil).

I'm not saying we drop Cazorla, I would much rather drop Ramsey instead, or have those two rotate.

Or drop neither since the team has an excellent record when both of them are actually in the side.

Walcott and Giroud in 13/14? Walcott played for about a month that season...

Right, so they played well together, and what about 12/13?

The injury record is not down to luck, no, but like I've said, had we of bought in the two/three positions needed in the summer then we'd of been fine today. You can't justify being the only team in Europe to not buy an outfield player.

We needed players. We needed a DM and, looking back on it now, a CB since it seems like Mert is declining. I also felt we needed a striker in the summer.
(edited 8 years ago)
So have we finally realized Joel Campbell is just a fat Nathan Dyer who only looks good because he plays with a bunch of Costa Rican goat herders on the international stage?
BPL is a joke Leicester first in the league lol the defense is non existent
Reply 364
Original post by iamthetruth

No one says BPL
Reply 365
Original post by dairychocolate
Well, we're not going to agree on this. Ox was excellent before his injury last season, for example away at West Ham.

Welbeck is a reliable player who will give you 6-7/10 performances when he plays.

It's pretty clear that he actually allows us to control the midfield. Not only that, the whole point of the attack is to put the ball in the net. As I said earlier, I don't care what sort of player we play in the attack as long as we make chances and score them. We do that very well when Ramsey is on the right.

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree. He makes loads of dangerous runs off the shoulder of the opposing LB and is excellent at moving the ball forward.

Besides, he's not actually a RW, he just defends wide right.

Are you joking? Ramsey gets on the end of multiple chances every game. The problem is that his finishing has been crap, at least until he finally scored against Watford.

You don't think that the bigger problem was that we started a left back on the wing because we had 4 viable wing options injured? Campbell is our 5th option in that position, we shouldn't even have to use him in the first place. No big team that wins the title is put into that position.

The 3 positions behind the striker are our strongest positions and required no work in the summer with the exception of a world class talent who could take us to the next level. Our problem is that we not only can't keep our first XI fit but Wenger ruins young players' bodies (Wilshere, Ox, Walcott and more) and players (if you believe the deluded crowd) magically start picking up injuries when they join us (Welbeck, Ozil).

Or drop neither since the team has an excellent record when both of them are actually in the side.

Right, so they played well together, and what about 12/13?

We needed players. We needed a DM and, looking back on it now, a CB since it seems like Mert is declining. I also felt we needed a striker in the summer.

Ox was fantastic last season? IIRC He had 1 goal to his name before his injury despite starting most of our games.

So a 6 out of 10 performance is satisfiable/supplementary?

I'm not saying Ramsey doesn't work on the right, I'm saying we can do better. It's still irrelevant to my initial point in that we should have bought an attacker this summer so that Campbell wouldn't have been playing today.

Yes, starting a left back contributed to our loss, which again backs up my point that we should have bought another attacker.

I agree wrt the 3 positions. There were plenty of players available to buy however and they don't have to be world class if you're buying for depth's sake.

Excellent record because Ramsey has been providing, or Ozil is on the form of his life currently? And I wouldn't even think of saying our midfield/attack doesn't have room for improvement, considering we aren't even the top scorers of the league.

Different side, different system in 12/13. What's more relevant is the fact that we played Walcott on the RW a handful of times last season and he didn't provide. Our current system is a lot more similar to 14/15 then it is to 12/13 or even 13/14.

Yes a DM. A CB too but that's being said in hindsight. Not buying a striker is somewhat excusable, considering there weren't really any viable options, but I remember saying before the last window that we could get away with not signing a striker if we bought a new winger instead that'd provide more goals.
Original post by difeo
No one says BPL

I call it BPL or PL what do you say?

Original post by difeo
No one says BPL

This.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually know anything about football.
Original post by The Shed End
This.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually know anything about football.

You have an obsession talking about other men. You aint a man you're a gossip queen
Original post by AR_95
Ox was fantastic last season? IIRC He had 1 goal to his name before his injury despite starting most of our games.

So a 6 out of 10 performance is satisfiable/supplementary?

A 6 or 7/10 guarantee is very useful for a backup. Fergie said that a team can carry 4 underperformers (3 or 4/10) on a game to game basis. A 6 or 7/10 performance is absolutely fine for a player stepping in for a starter.

Chelsea won the league starting ****ing Willian, who got 2 goals and 3 assists in the PL last season. It isn't just about the individual, it's about how they fit into the team.

I'm not saying Ramsey doesn't work on the right, I'm saying we can do better.

If we take out Ramsey, we need to take out Cazorla, who seems to clearly struggle when we play with 2 wingers. At that point, you're moving 2 functioning starters in the hope that a new purchase hits the ground running and that the team adapts well.

It's still irrelevant to my initial point in that we should have bought an attacker this summer so that Campbell wouldn't have been playing today.

Which still doesn't address the point that Campbell shouldn't have been playing in the first place, whether we brought in a new player or not. Us having 4 wide options injured is a bigger problem than our 5th choice RW being poor.

I agree wrt the 3 positions. There were plenty of players available to buy however and they don't have to be world class if you're buying for depth's sake.

Yes, I reckon we should have bought depth for DM. Every Gooner could predict what was going to happen if we didn't.

However, we had enough bodies at CB and ST. We needed quality there rather than just depth.

Excellent record because Ramsey has been providing, or Ozil is on the form of his life currently?

I was including last season as well.

And I wouldn't even think of saying our midfield/attack doesn't have room for improvement, considering we aren't even the top scorers of the league.

Our attack has room for improvement quality-wise, as does our midfield.

Different side, different system in 12/13. What's more relevant is the fact that we played Walcott on the RW a handful of times last season and he didn't provide. Our current system is a lot more similar to 14/15 then it is to 12/13 or even 13/14.

I don't even remember Walcott playing RW last season apart from against West Ham and in the CoC, when he scored. He was being eased back from a very long-term injury last season.

Our playing style hasn't changed that much, we've just got better players now. Walcott is a pacey wide player who complements Giroud, who basically lives off cutbacks and crosses.

Yes a DM. A CB too but that's being said in hindsight. Not buying a striker is somewhat excusable, considering there weren't really any viable options, but I remember saying before the last window that we could get away with not signing a striker if we bought a new winger instead that'd provide more goals.

I wanted a striker mainly because I didn't have faith in Theo to bang in goals and I think Giroud is not efficient. The two of them are scoring, though and I think we'd be doing fine in attack if there wasn't an incompetence in the management/fitness area. Remember that we've scored in every game over the last couple of months, being let down at the other end of the pitch in our bad results.

A side like 14/15 Chelsea wins the league because 1 goal is enough to win them a game. We, on the other hand, despite having a decent defensive record overall, have been leaking goals in games where we can't afford to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 370
I call it BPL or PL what do you say?

PL. Is the B British or Barclays
You have an obsession talking about other men. You aint a man you're a gossip queen

You're talking about me right now.
Original post by Arkasia
So have we finally realized Joel Campbell is just a fat Nathan Dyer who only looks good because he plays with a bunch of Costa Rican goat herders on the international stage?

I think it sums up what Wenger thinks of him that he'd rather play Keiran Gibbs as a winger

He'll be loaned out in Jan I reckon

Original post by difeo

I want a British League. Won't ever happen though.
Original post by difeo

Barclays. duh. /:

How's it going to stand for British. Think about it.
Reply 374
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Barclays. duh. /:

How's it going to stand for British. Think about it.

Ever heard of Swansea?
Original post by difeo
Ever heard of Swansea?

That's just Wales though. You don't see Aberdeen, Falkirk or Glentoran F.C having a kick about in the PL.
Original post by The Shed End
You're talking about me right now.

I come here to talk football you come here to talk about other men that's the difference
Reply 377
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
That's just Wales though. You don't see Aberdeen, Falkirk or Glentoran F.C having a kick about in the PL.

EAWPL looks silly
Original post by AR_95
You realise our problems came from playing Campbell on the wing, and not having a back up to Coquelin? Literally if we stocked up on those 2 positions like we wanted in the summer, we'd of been fine today.

I don't know why people are surprised about today's result. If you field out **** players, you'll get a **** performance. You're only as strong as your weakest link and all that..

Yeah pretty much.

Original post by dairychocolate
We have:

Ox, Welbeck, Ramsey and Sanchez for the wings, with Walcott when needed.

Our club/manager's inability to keep players fit is a far bigger problem.

How many wingers did Chelsea use last season?

Not much however Chelsea were clearly feeling the effects of it post Xmas. We play a style of play that's much less straining to the players and our medical team are great.

A backup DM and another winger(as only Sanchez and Ramsey are reliable options there as Walcott is injury prone/striker) would have helped you guys a lot.
Do you think Wenger is gonna be in for a right winger in Jan? If Walcott really is our striker now then we could do with one.

Latest