The Student Room Group

Is Fascism Inherently Evil and Wrong

And no, I don't mean Nazism. There's a difference.

I've been reading more and more on the ideology recently, and can't help but think if it were carried out by a sensible, non-fanatical person, that it could actually prove to be a very beneficial system of government.

Or is it just inexcusable to you. Let me know your thoughts.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wellzi

I've been reading more and more on the ideology recently, and can't help but think if it were carried out by a sensible, non-fanatical person, that it could actually prove to be a very beneficial system of government.

Who have you been reading?

I don't believe in morality so whether it's evil or not is irrelevant.

It also depends what you want- and is usually constrained by ideas of tradition.

Fascism generally over emphasises the role of human nature for me. I don't think that human nature is fixed concept.
Reply 2
We need it in order to defeat isis and terrorists
Reply 3
It can be described as follows 'nothing is above the state' where the state is one man (or a small group of people) who dictate moral absolutes, anyone that does not conform to these moral absolutes is punished, and as distinct from simple laws such application is generally not determined through courts that are separate, but by the sovereign who is the law, in democracies the sovereign is limited by the law, in fascism the sovereign is the law, and law is generally subject to their arbitrary will.
Original post by whorace
It can be described as follows 'nothing is above the state' where the state is one man (or a small group of people) who dictate moral absolutes, anyone that does not conform to these moral absolutes is punished, and as distinct from simple laws such application is generally not determined through courts that are separate, but by the sovereign who is the law, in democracies the sovereign is limited by the law, in fascism the sovereign is the law, and law is generally subject to their arbitrary will.

This^

So you may hope for all you like that the dictator is a decent chap, but there's every chance that they won't be. So whilst you may be hoping for Trotsky, you could easily end up with Stalin.

No state, or one person should have that much power.
Reply 5
Original post by James Milibanter
This^

So you may hope for all you like that the dictator is a decent chap, but there's every chance that they won't be. So whilst you may be hoping for Trotsky, you could easily end up with Stalin.

No state, or one person should have that much power.

But if the dictator is brought about through popular support, they tend to be much better than those appointed by say, a central committee (ie how the Soviets did it)
Reply 6
Don't know much about it but Mussollini's Italy wasn't all that bad was it? What about Spain under Franco?
Original post by Wellzi

Totally inexcusable. Anyone who is for fascism is racist. No exceptions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wellzi
But if the dictator is brought about through popular support, they tend to be much better than those appointed by say, a central committee (ie how the Soviets did it)

I don't want to use the obvious example, but the NSDAP (Nazi Party) gained power essentially from popular support, and you know how the rest went.
Sounds sensible to me if it were carried out by a sensible, non-fanatic like me.

In fact we could have a social experiment on TSR, make me the super-mod on here and I will make TSR a better place for all. I will delete all threads hating on Muslims/immigrants/complaining about feminism, insulting people for going to a non-top university, and will permaban any user who is making these kind of threads. Also anybody who uses "brahspeak" from bodybuilding.com will also be permabanned. Anybody that criticises my moderation will be permabanned.

I can guarantee that within a month or two of my rule, TSR will be a far better and more comfortable place for the majority of its users, thus proving the superiority of strength over "free speech" and the liberals who support it.

Also having looked at the OPs profile he looks like the type of irritating right-winger that would do my head in so he's another for the permaban list.
Reply 10
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Totally inexcusable. Anyone who is for fascism is racist. No exceptions.

What specific policy is racist?
Original post by Wellzi

Practically anyone with that kind of power would eventually end up thinking of ways to exploit it, and I certainly wouldn't want to take that chance with the UK, for example.
Reply 12
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Sounds sensible to me if it were carried out by a sensible, non-fanatic like me.

In fact we could have a social experiment on TSR, make me the super-mod on here and I will make TSR a better place for all. I will delete all threads hating on Muslims/immigrants/complaining about feminism, insulting people for going to a non-top university, and will permaban any user who is making these kind of threads. Also anybody who uses "brahspeak" from bodybuilding.com will also be permabanned. Anybody that criticises my moderation will be permabanned.

I can guarantee that within a month or two of my rule, TSR will be a far better and more comfortable place for the majority of its users, thus proving the superiority of strength over "free speech" and the liberals who support it.

Also having looked at the OPs profile he looks like the type of irritating right-winger that would do my head in so he's another for the permaban list.

If you have nothing interesting to contribute, please keep it to yourself.
Original post by Howard
Don't know much about it but Mussollini's Italy wasn't all that bad was it? What about Spain under Franco?

Honestly I quite admire Mussolini. I don't think Franco was too bad either.
Original post by MagicNMedicine

:clap2:
Original post by Wellzi
What specific policy is racist?

I don't know, but its the rhetoric that's been forced down our throats from the moment we are born, so that's reason enough for believing it, surely?

(In truth, a benign fascist state can be beneficial for everyone, but only if the leaders are very carefully chosen)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wellzi

You mean like the Nazis?
Reply 17
Original post by BlueBlueBells
I don't want to use the obvious example, but the NSDAP (Nazi Party) gained power essentially from popular support, and you know how the rest went.

The anti-Semitic policies in Germany at the time is the only thing that I believe to be bad about the regime pre war. The advancements they made were made of miracles.
Reply 18
Original post by jamestg
Honestly I quite admire Mussolini. I don't think Franco was too bad either.

Salazar in Portugal? Don't know much about him either.
Reply 19
Original post by James Milibanter
You mean like the Nazis?

Or Franco or Mussolini

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending