The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Don't worry about top four. Leicester are not a consideration. Chelsea have more chance.

For the games against teams that sit back, we'll be fine. Benteke and Sturridge time.

I was thinking about that. Compact teams that are defending deep might be an issue. Do you think that Benteke fits into Klopps ideal style of play? I guess an ideal style of play for Klopp with the team you've got will include high pressing, quick transition play and triangle passing in the final third. Does Benteke fit with this style?

Furthermore, do you feel that he is willing to adapt Sturridge/Benteke to the system, rather than give them cameos for tactical purposes in the big games?
It's interesting because Klopp has yet to buy a single player for this club and already he's transformed things with the 'resources' he has. I can't really cannot fathom what will happen when the time comes for him to start buying the players he wants, yes you're still quite low down the table but it's looking good for Liverpool at the moment, not just saying it because of today's result but its going in the right direction.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I am so ****ing happy right now.

THIS!

:banana2::bl::scales::woo::yeah::excited:

Original post by Lúcio
You know what I love so much about this game?

How anonymous Sterling was :smile:

Clyne had a good game, and of course Skrtel was immense and makes up for the two on the left of him as always.

Original post by sr90
Is it a big gap though? 6pts isn't a lot at this stage of the season, when you factor in that Leicester will fall away it'll be fine.

You'll finish 4th ahead of Spurs.

In that case, only 8 pts for 1st :tongue:

I was pretty sure we were not going to finish in the top4 when the season started, but after Chelsea's demise there is hope.
Original post by jam277
I was thinking about that. Compact teams that are defending deep might be an issue. Do you think that Benteke fits into Klopps ideal style of play? I guess an ideal style of play for Klopp with the team you've got will include high pressing, quick transition play and triangle passing in the final third. Does Benteke fit with this style?

Furthermore, do you feel that he is willing to adapt Sturridge/Benteke to the system, rather than give them cameos for tactical purposes in the big games?

While Benteke might not fit the Klopp style, against smaller teams/those who defend deep, he just knows how to get the ball into the net. We've seen that already this season.

Sturridge, without the injuries, is a perfect player for Klopp's system imo. The manager knows he has to rotate. You can't win the league playing the same 11 players 3 times a week.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
It's interesting because Klopp has yet to buy a single player for this club and already he's transformed things with the 'resources' he has. I can't really cannot fathom what will happen when the time comes for him to start buying the players he wants, yes you're still quite low down the table but it's looking good for Liverpool at the moment, not just saying it because of today's result but its going in the right direction.

Klopp was very clever too since he knew that the squad we had has a lot of potential. He's just got their confidence and enthusiasm up along with the new manager bounce and we look better already.

Well I think a lot more quality players will be willing to now come to Liverpool to play under Klopp. We've not had that since Rafa was at the helm (who the **** would want to play for Woy?).

We've already played the following away fixtures - Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton and Stoke. 12 points from 7 games doesn't sound amazing but considering those fixtures and away.. we only lost to Man Utd.

In theory we should start climbing the table.
Original post by jam277

After 13-14, attacking teams that sit deep has always been a major concern in the minds of Liverpool fans.

They'll sit deep and narrow, and let us attack from wide. In which case Milner, Clyne, and Moreno can provide width. Once that width is there, we can either swing crosses in for the best header of the ball in the league, or move it quickly inwards where Coutinho and Firmino can attack in the increased spaces. Crossing is a pretty ineffective strategy on the whole but when it's Benteke, it's worth it.

Benteke doesn't fit in with the high pressing (yet) but he is an invaluable tool against the lower sides. Sturridge, I haven't a clue about anymore. No-one really knows how good he'll be when/if he ever returns for a long period.

He will give Benteke a lot of time, definitely. He's already used him pretty effectively. No clue about Sturridge.
After 13-14, attacking teams that sit deep has always been a major concern in the minds of Liverpool fans.

They'll sit deep and narrow, and let us attack from wide. In which case Milner, Clyne, and Moreno can provide width. Once that width is there, we can either swing crosses in for the best header of the ball in the league, or move it quickly inwards where Coutinho and Firmino can attack in the increased spaces. Crossing is a pretty ineffective strategy on the whole but when it's Benteke, it's worth it.

Benteke doesn't fit in with the high pressing (yet) but he is an invaluable tool against the lower sides. Sturridge, I haven't a clue about anymore. No-one really knows how good he'll be when/if he ever returns for a long period.

He will give Benteke a lot of time, definitely. He's already used him pretty effectively. No clue about Sturridge.

I felt like this too, Benteke against teams defending deep is invaluable for his lay offs and hold up play(see Chelsea game). But it could be the case that Benteke starts against clearly inferior teams(so around 10-12 teams in the league), or in the odd big game simply for tactical reasons. I guess a squad competing for honours should be having such a selection headache, plus with Klopps style you would expect a lot of burnout from a small squad. He obviously wasn't capable at challenging domestically as well as in europe at Dortmund.

Sturridge you'd assume would be a perfect player for the system(in the bigger games) if fit and firing I guess as suggested, but then with Firmino playing well at ST for one position I think it could be a problem(not so much now but maybe a year or two down the line).
Haven't had a good day today but victory away to Manchester City made me feel much perkier. I was hoping he would set us up similar to against Chelsea (with Firmino as a striker) and it worked again, he had his best game in a Liverpool shirt.
Just got home from work, can't ****ing believe we won 4-1!!!!! :biggrin:
Thankfully I have the game recorded so I'm gonna start watching it now.
I think Klopp made a master stroke leaving Benteke and Sturridge on the bench.
He knew that City's defence isn't organised rough without Kompany to deal with quick passers and agile attackers that we had going forward.

Quite amazing to be honest. Brave but it paid off so he deserves the praise.
Would Rodgers have done that?
Original post by sr90

You'll finish 4th ahead of Spurs.

Didn't you make a whole thread on this?
Original post by Lúcio
I think Klopp made a master stroke leaving Benteke and Sturridge on the bench.
He knew that City's defence isn't organised rough without Kompany to deal with quick passers and agile attackers that we had going forward.

Quite amazing to be honest. Brave but it paid off so he deserves the praise.
Would Rodgers have done that?

I don't think it was tactical but much more to do with the fitness levels.
Original post by jam277
I felt like this too, Benteke against teams defending deep is invaluable for his lay offs and hold up play(see Chelsea game). But it could be the case that Benteke starts against clearly inferior teams(so around 10-12 teams in the league), or in the odd big game simply for tactical reasons. I guess a squad competing for honours should be having such a selection headache, plus with Klopps style you would expect a lot of burnout from a small squad. He obviously wasn't capable at challenging domestically as well as in europe at Dortmund.

Sturridge you'd assume would be a perfect player for the system(in the bigger games) if fit and firing I guess as suggested, but then with Firmino playing well at ST for one position I think it could be a problem(not so much now but maybe a year or two down the line).

I doubt Sturridge will even be playing top level football two years down the line. I say that as someone who is pretty much his biggest fan as a player.

As for the person above talking about Kompany, if anything we'd have had a better chance if Kompany had played rather than Demichelis. His bursts forward to try and intercept the ball have always spectacularly failed against us, and never has he been truly comfortable on the counter.
Original post by Zerforax
I don't think it was tactical but much more to do with the fitness levels.

Perhaps so but when the man gets a result like that, I'm quite happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If a striker scuffs a shot and it goes in anyway, he still gets praise :smile:
Never saw this scoreline coming. I missed the game :biggrin:

Skrtel Volley :cool:
I doubt Sturridge will even be playing top level football two years down the line. I say that as someone who is pretty much his biggest fan as a player.

As for the person above talking about Kompany, if anything we'd have had a better chance if Kompany had played rather than Demichelis. His bursts forward to try and intercept the ball have always spectacularly failed against us, and never has he been truly comfortable on the counter.

mad shots
So BR hasn't won against Chelsea/Man City away in 3 years as LFC manager and Klopp's did it in his 1st go.

Nice result though, wasn't expecting that. Firmino and Coutinho played very well. Could have had more.

Seems that some were complaining on Benteke not being on the XI with Kompany out, guess it paid off.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Never saw this scoreline coming. I missed the game :biggrin:

Skrtel Volley :cool:

It's funny how when stuff is going your way, everything seems to go your way.
Original post by Zerforax
It's funny how when stuff is going your way, everything seems to go your way.

Yeah pretty much.

Sturridge is done. Don't think he will ever fit in klopps pressing game esp. Given hes a injury prone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I watched the whole game and wow, what a performance! Crazy to see how much things have changed since Rodgers was here. Klopp has certainly given the players a new leash on life and now I actually enjoy watching us play. Firmino could have had 4/5 goals if he was a bit more clinical but the signs are very promising so far. The goal where Coutinho, Fimino and Can linked up was an absolute beauty- it reminded me of the SAS days and how we played great attacking football. More heavy metal football please. :biggrin:

Latest