The Student Room Group

I feel depressed because of war

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Simes
Remember that day you saw me walking down the beach throwing stranded starfish back into the sea?

You said "You're wasting your time. There's thousands of them. What you are doing cannot make any difference."

And I looked at the starfish in my hand, threw it into the sea and said "It did for that one".

Change is incremental. Big changes are actually lots of little changes made by individuals. The best change is local.

Go out make a difference, flab10. It will make you feel better about life and people and humanity.

But you can't help all those strar fish. There will always be one suffering
Reply 81
Original post by flab10
But you can't help all those starfish. There will always be one suffering.

No, you are right, I can't.

That's why it needs you to pick it up and put it in the sea.

Be the change, flab10. Make a difference. Feel that warm glow that comes from doing A Good Thing.
How do you think they feel?
Reply 83
Original post by Emily.97
How do you think they feel?

The OP said that in her opening post. Do feel free to read the whole thread. Some of it is good. ;-)

Original post by PrincessZara
I can't stop thinking about what children must be going through in their war-torn countries and witnessing their parents shot and stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
just dont think about it then
you should move over there and fight against isis
Reply 86
Original post by flab10
there will always be someone suffering in the world and there is nothing you can do about it.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Cultural anthropologist, Margaret Mead.
I want to rep all of @Simes posts on this page but it won't let me so just so you know @Simes 5 fictional reps to you. (it's the thought that counts).
Original post by Simes
No, you are right, I can't.

That's why it needs you to pick it up and put it in the sea.

Be the change, flab10. Make a difference. Feel that warm glow that comes from doing A Good Thing.

I know it's not aimed at me but what you said throughout this whole page was so beautifully put and inspiring.

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
I want to rep all of @Simes posts on this page but it won't let me so just so you know @Simes 5 fictional reps to you. (it's the thought that counts).

This^^ Really good posts. He seems like a great person :smile:
Thank the stars there are users like Simes here! Hopefully we will meet someday in real life dude. This world of ours is ours to lead.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Thank the stars there are users like Simes here! Hopefully we will meet someday in real life dude. This world of ours is ours to lead.

Original post by ihatescience56
This^^ Really good posts. He seems like a great person :smile:

Original post by ihatescience56
I know it's not aimed at me but what you said throughout this whole page was so beautifully put and inspiring.
Thank you!
Hold on people he's not a deity. All I was saying was I agree with him. I'm not trying to start an @Symes worshiping cult!
Original post by 04MR17
Hold on people he's not a deity. All I was saying was I agree with him. I'm not trying to start an @Symes worshiping cult!

Bahaha, i just liked his comment. No one is worshipping him! I don't know who he is or his story. Worshipping cult seems a bit far-fetched :")
Reply 93
Shy now. :redface:
I can't stop thinking about what children must be going through in their war-torn countries and witnessing their parents shot and stuff. All these graphical images/videos on Facebook and it all makes me sad :frown: They were born in the wrong place at the wrong time they don't deserve to go through all this. I can't stop over-thinking and getting all sad and stuff. I try to avoid news and facebook and sh*t but that's not helping :/

It's impossible for the an average person to change the world. It's 2015. The media and people with selected authority choose how the world works :/

Original post by Gears265
If you seriously think world peace will ever be achieved, you need help. Humans are the most destructive species on earth. There has not gone a day when there hasn't been a war somewhere on this earth.

Do you honestly think you can end global suffering once and for all? People have been saying that for 1000s of years, and many of them were far more intellectual and wise compared to the likes of us.

Absolutely wrong. The world is much better now that it probably ever has been. Less death and suffering, longer life expectancy, lower child mortality, less illness, more wealth, more education, and so on. So what if we can't end all war, or all suffering? We can, and have, ended a lot of it. And the best bit - it's really easy for you to reduce death and suffering too: http://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/. It will cost you money, but that's literally a small price to pay.

Original post by Bill_Gates
What sort of nonsense is this? we have less war now since we HAVE changed the world. Thanks to free movement of goods, people (globalisation)

Original post by DiceTheSlice
Well... we are actually living in the kindest, wealthiest period in human history...

Correct!

For more information see here: http://www.gapminder.org/

I also recommend The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker for a look at violence over human history (spoiler: it's gone down!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5X2-i_poNU
Even the recent wars in the Middle East have only returned deaths to around the mid 2000s level.
It's not the wrong place/time. It's wrong race/religion. They could've been born 1000 years ago or 1000 years into the future; so long as they were born the same race/religion nothing would change.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chazwomaq
Absolutely wrong. The world is much better now that it probably ever has been. Less death and suffering, longer life expectancy, lower child mortality, less illness, more wealth, more education, and so on. So what if we can't end all war, or all suffering? We can, and have, ended a lot of it. And the best bit - it's really easy for you to reduce death and suffering too: http://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/. It will cost you money, but that's literally a small price to pay.

Correct!

For more information see here: http://www.gapminder.org/

I also recommend The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker for a look at violence over human history (spoiler: it's gone down!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5X2-i_poNU
Even the recent wars in the Middle East have only returned deaths to around the mid 2000s level.

My money's on humans kill themselves in my lifetime, if not they will starve the world of its resources, kill each other for the remaining ones or die trying. You fools, you think it's over? The real wars for what's left on this earth has only just begun hahaha
Reply 97
Original post by Gears265
My money's on humans kill themselves in my lifetime, if not they will starve the world of its resources, kill each other for the remaining ones or die trying. You fools, you think it's over? The real wars for what's left on this earth has only just begun hahaha

I am H A P P Y, I am H A P P Y. I know I am, I'm sure I am, I am H A P P Y.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending