The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Hey guys and girls!

We can share news on UCL Computer Science on here (offers/interviews/reviews). If you currently study Computer Science at UCL, can you please give us an overview of your day and what you do?

Course: (BSc/MEng?)
Subjects:
Grades:
Predicted Grades:

Good Luck!
First year here! I've got roughly 17 contact hours per week, and the times of the lectures are varied a bit depending on the day of the week, but don't be too surprised that you have more 9 AMs than other courses. Lectures are worth paying attention to as the lecturers will go through the useful/difficult topics in detail. Also, definitely consider trying out Linux or MacOS before coming here if you haven't already, as it's generally preferred over Windows.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by sarcasmrules
First year here! I've got roughly 17 contact hours per week, and the times of the lectures are varied a bit depending on the day of the week, but don't be too surprised that you have more 9 AMs than other courses. Lectures are worth paying attention to as the lecturers will go through the useful/difficult topics in detail. Also, definitely consider trying out Linux or MacOS before coming here if you haven't already, as it's generally preferred over Windows.

Wow, thanks alot!

So how does it feel? Is it sociable? Are lectures easy to understand and are professors willing to help? Are the modules interesting? Is it maths intensive or is it mostly focused on CompSci theory?
Reply 3
Original post by UnknownDude
Wow, thanks alot!

So how does it feel? Is it sociable? Are lectures easy to understand and are professors willing to help? Are the modules interesting? Is it maths intensive or is it mostly focused on CompSci theory?

Also a first year here. Everyone is pretty sociable I'd say. Lectures are alright to understand though lecturers themselves are not great mostly. First 5 weeks are very slow. Unfortunately it is neither maths not CS theory heavy currently. There's no maths till the 2nd term unless you do mathematical computation. Seems to be picking up since after reading week though, getting much more interesting and relevant work now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TVIO
x

x

Yay! More information! Thanks!

Some more questions:

I found out that the Bristol CompSci course is heavy on Projects as in the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th, if your doing MEng) year, do you do the same in UCL or is it more theory intensive? What about graduate prospects, and mind me asking about typical starting salaries that you've perhaps been told about? Do you learn about C?

Some more questions:

I found out that the Bristol CompSci course is heavy on Projects as in the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th, if your doing MEng) year, do you do the same in UCL or is it more theory intensive? What about graduate prospects, and mind me asking about typical starting salaries that you've perhaps been told about? Do you learn about C?

C is the language you learn in the first half term within the programming module. Typical starting salaries are on average quite high (I think maybe £36000 average last year from unistats) although that might be due to the targeting by Finance firms.

I would say we do a fair few projects. We had a small one for our C coursework and are working on another one at the minute as part of an engineering module. I think next term we work on an app project with a client.

I'm not too keen on the soft skills focus the engineering module has had so far, but the tech society is brilliant this year imho. I'm working on a VR Game with a fairly largely team of society members which is cool.

If you don't think there's enough projects as part of whatever course you go on you should look into hackathons. Of course being in London is best for those :wink: (free coach to quite a few)

Some more questions:

If you can bear with the slightly higher cost of living, going to uni in London for Computer Science whether you go to UCL, or Imperial, or King's, you'll have much greater graduate prospects than anywhere else in the UK. Facebook's almost literally across the road from the UCL campus, and you've got Google down in Soho (I think), as well as so many startups around the place. Me and iridann already have internships lined up for the summer, and we get employers in all the time (esp. from finance) that are dying to snap up as many CS students as possible!

We do a lot of projects, but to be honest I'm alright with that. After all, if you go into software engineering you're going to be doing a lot of project-based work anyway. We have a couple of lectures coming up from our C lecturer, who'll be talking about things like Scrum methodology and the universal modelling language. Three of the eight first year modules are theory based (if you include the Discrete Mathematics module), so it's not too theory-intensive.

I hear "£36k" being thrown around a lot for the graduate starting salary; I think though that it varies highly depending on where you end up. A lot of people will go into finance which has a high pay but it will probably burn you out.
x

x

I think £36k is the average, the range was something like £25-50k. The ones with fintech jobs skew it quite a bit!
Course: MEng Mathematical Computation
Grades:
GCSE equivs: 3A*s 5As
Scottish Highers: AAAAC
Scottish Advanced Highers (ext. circumstances): BCD
Subjects (AS+A2 in a year): Maths, Further Maths, Economics
Predicted Grades: A*A*A
Offer: A*AA
Reply 9
Anyone here actually studying Mathematical Computation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending