The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Male and female

Poll

Are male and female the only genders?

In your opinion are those the only genders?

My opinion

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would not say they were the only genders, no. This is because someone's gender is very much in their mind and some people do not identify as male or female.
Obviously not, my gender is mayonnaise.
Reply 3
Not sure if OP is serious...

Original post by Bjornhattan
I would not say they were the only genders, no. This is because someone's gender is very much in their mind and some people do not identify as male or female.

...Wat?
well i would say yes because if you look at birds for instance there are always two colour variations one for male and another for female. also in product design there is a male and female mould, the female goes on top :smile:
No.
Original post by CoolCavy
well i would say yes because if you look at birds for instance there are always two colour variations one for male and another for female. also in product design there is a male and female mould, the female goes on top :smile:

You're describing biological SEX, they're not the same :smile:
There is other for a reason:smile:
Reply 8
No, because there is not a concrete definition of "male" and "female" gender as an idea (sex is different as that is physical). But gender is a social construct wherein there is no clear line between what constitutes being "male" and "female", so yeah be whatever you want.
Original post by ivybridge
You're describing biological SEX, they're not the same :smile:

oh :s-smilie: what's the difference? :colondollar:
Original post by CoolCavy
oh :s-smilie: what's the difference? :colondollar:

Sex is what you are biologically - the whole X and Y thing in biology. Gender is a social construct.
I never really put any stake in gender nor understood its significance. You are who you are and I think it's counterproductive to have arguments about you not identifying with one of these categories or the opposite one to your biological sex. They're just stupid social constructs and I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with it. I can understand people wanting to change their biological sex but gender is meaningless.
Original post by Think People
God created male and female.
So yes.
LGBT society was created by Secret societies to make people lose their connection with god.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Proof that God created us?

Proof LGBTQIA people are a product of any secret societies?

None? Convenient.
What other genders can there be? :s-smilie:
Original post by ILovePancakes

Agender is just one example :smile:

Facebook has 50 genders for you to choose from. :smile:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal

Many of those are the same: MTF = male to female = trans female = transsexual female = transsexual*female etc.

Original post by ivybridge
Agender is just one example :smile:

Doesn't that mean you don't identify as a gender? Therefore it can't be a gender as it means without gender?
Many of those are the same: MTF = male to female = trans female = transsexual female = transsexual*female etc.

Doesn't that mean you don't identify as a gender? Therefore it can't be a gender as it means without gender?

That is still a gender identity though... Like, asexuality is when you aren't really attracted to either sex but it is still a sexuality :smile:
No they're not the only genders, there are many people out there that do not conform to either gender. Categorising people into two distinct categories is meaningless; insinuating 7 billion people can only act/feel one or the either is ridiculous, especially since society has such a rigid idea of what male and female is.

It's a question of self-identification; someone who identifies as "MTF" may not identify as a "trans female", for example.

Latest

Trending

Trending