The Student Room Group

Hello, it's ADELE.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Toy Gun
It's because women are strong and we live in a patriarchy which has put women into a disadvantage.

Gays love strong women as a result, even Her Highness The Rt Hon The Baroness Thatcher. It's definitely not just gay teenagers or Madonna would have no fans left.

I wouldn't say ADELE has a cult or that her main fanbase is the gays. ADELEGEND's fanbase is the general public. No gay icons have captured the world as much as she has - ADELE is now giving us the biggest musical event since The Beatles - not even Michael Jackson peaked as high.

Some women are strong. Is Adele an example? Possibly. Are women at a disadvantage? No not really. Are these pop singers fans mostly gay males? No but gay males so tend to do this weird cult thing with them. I've thought about it, and such behaviour basically reminds me of 15 year old girl behaviour. In that sense i guess that makes sense for certain types of guys.

Don't compare this pop singer (she might be mildly talented) to musical legends though. In ten years no one will know who she is.
Original post by banterboy
Some women are strong. Is Adele an example? Possibly. Are women at a disadvantage? No not really. Are these pop singers fans mostly gay males? No but gay males so tend to do this weird cult thing with them. I've thought about it, and such behaviour basically reminds me of 15 year old girl behaviour. In that sense i guess that makes sense for certain types of guys.

Don't compare this pop singer (she might be mildly talented) to musical legends though. In ten years no one will know who she is.

You're delusional if you don't see how the sales of 25 is showing that this is the biggest musical event since The Beatles. She may or may not be remembered in the future, but this is an historical peak that you cannot possibly deny. The numbers are there.

This is without mentioning the fact that people of those times trashed the Fab Four to death, and for good reasons. The poppy, repetitive songs; the teenage fanbase; the lack of singing talent. People also thought Madonna was a one album wonder, and instead believed that Cyndi Lauper would be the future legend.

On to more modern times, you have Britney Spears versus Christina Aguilera where everyone thought Spears would be the fad. Katy Perry was seen as a one hit wonder when 'I Kissed A Girl' came out, then a two hits wonder when 'Hot n Cold' also smashed; she then defied the expectation of her being a one-album wonder with the incredibly success of Teenage Dream. Hell, people kept saying Rihanna would be over after every one of her single, yet she's still here and is more popular than ever. Rihanna, the pop star who can't sing, can't dance, not pretty, rude/not likeable, lazy, can't write, not popular in award shows, not popular among songwriters, and sings leftovers from other artists for a living.

I also don't think you realise how massive 21 actually was. It's obviously an absolute monster in this century so let's compare it to the biggest of all-time only:
- biggest-selling solo album in the UK, No 4 overall - outsold even Michael Jackson's Thriller;
- best-performing album in the US in history based on chart position, second to, well, no-one;
- biggest-selling female single ever ('Rolling In The Deep'), second to, once again, no-one.
And these are only the impactful feats.

Overall sales the album is No 34 in the world conservatively estimating, or at No 15 of all-time if you go by claimed shipments.

So what are these other 33 albums on top of 21? They were released by Michael Jackson, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Shania Twain, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, Alanis Morissette, The Beatles, Céline Dion, Guns n
Roses, Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen, ABBA, Simon & Garfunkel, Meat Loaf, U2, Queen, Mariah Carey, Madonna, several soundtracks.

Among these people, only Morissette, Dire Straits, and Meat Loaf are forgotten. The odds are against you if you think after 21, any artist can just be totally forgotten in 10 years. Limiting to the Top 15, you'd have only Morissette left, whose follow-up album never reached the impact 25 is having, and whose Jagged Little Pill was released in a much better climate, with much weaker hits.

The opening sales of 25 obviously doesn't mean she'll go down nicely in history, as we can see from *Nsync not really being remembered after they disbanded (though Justin Timberlake is still one of the biggest stars we have). But it's a reflection of the impact of 21, a showcase of 21's legacy if you wish. There were massive albums before, released by the aforementioned Morissette, Norah Jones, and so on. But none of their follow-ups experienced anything like this - none of anyone's follow-up experienced anything like this. And the facts are there - 21 clearly infiltrated the heart of both the album-buying public and the general public who would normally not buy an album.

Adele, now looking to be at least like Céline Dion - not much impact overall, massive seller, will be remembered for a hit or two, and will always be remembered ever if she doesn't sell much after a decade. And optimistically, she wouldn't really do much more than that since she doesn't change her musical style drastically and is mostly selling the voice/emotion. But of course she can always pull a Whitney Houston whose legacy, for better or worse, was enhanced by drugs, misbehaviour, public meltdowns, and general messiness.

---

I really can't see how you think Adele has a 'cult'. She's one of those artists (like P!nk, Kelly Clarkson,Garth Brooks, Kate Bush, Sade, The Eagles) who sells a lot but don't seem to have a massive online 'stan' presence around. She's not someone who can win every internet poll, like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Britney Spears, Carrie Underwood, Beyoncé etc. In fact, no-one talks about Adele when she's on break.

I also think the delusional perception that pop divas are propped up by the gays is just clearly not true. There are simply not enough gay people to send all those Katy Perry songs to No 1 or get 1989 to sell 8 million copies world-wide.

---

Lastly, I want to point out to you that Noel from Oasis, whose UK first-week record will be broken by 25, opined that Adele would be forgotten in two years after 2011. Don't follow his footsteps.
her success is remarkable

she is really down to earth and she totally deserves it imo
Can we also just talk about how great Million Years Ago is, I think it's my favourite song on the album
Original post by xxvine
her success is remarkable

she is really down to earth and she totally deserves it imo

This is literally historic. Thank god ADELE gave us this opportunity to witness this sales slayage even in 2015.
Reply 185
i loved the Bruno Mars collab :3

Spoiler

Another day, another slay.

ADELE sold 1.9 million in two days in the US. What does this mean? She has officially gotten the biggest-selling album in 2015 already. She has also already broken the all-time solo one-week record and ever if she has literally stopped selling anything after that, she will still have the second-biggest opening of all-time.

Conservative estimate now puts her at 2.9m. Another million in five days. Methinks she's going over 3m.

---

Germany's half a million seems more and more realistic with 'Hello' being both Nos 1 and 2.

---

The Dutch are expected to buy 100k of 25.

---

She's expected to see a diamond+ 200k in Brazil.

---

UK minimum is now at 700k - ie definitely breaking the record.

---

Expected to break the record in Australia with perhaps 200k.

---

Same thing obviously in Canada, with 250k. (1k can get you into Top 40 nowadays.)

---

She's flopping in Japan as only the No 1 international act. But then she has never even been there.
Original post by z33
i loved the Bruno Mars collab :3

Spoiler

Hiding in a cave to escape from Hurricane ADELE. Just like Sam Smith who said he's taking a break, Rihanna who allegedly is pushing back her album further to avoid ADELE, and Ed Sheeran who explicitly said he's pushing his album back for several months so he doesn't have to complete against ADELE at the Grammy's.
Original post by yasaminO_o
Can we also just talk about how great Million Years Ago is, I think it's my favourite song on the album

The first few notes, like Mariah Carey's 'My All', was stolen from 'The Phantom of The Opera', though.
You're delusional if you don't see how the sales of 25 is showing that this is the biggest musical event since The Beatles. She may or may not be remembered in the future, but this is an historical peak that you cannot possibly deny. The numbers are there.

This is without mentioning the fact that people of those times trashed the Fab Four to death, and for good reasons. The poppy, repetitive songs; the teenage fanbase; the lack of singing talent. People also thought Madonna was a one album wonder, and instead believed that Cyndi Lauper would be the future legend.

On to more modern times, you have Britney Spears versus Christina Aguilera where everyone thought Spears would be the fad. Katy Perry was seen as a one hit wonder when 'I Kissed A Girl' came out, then a two hits wonder when 'Hot n Cold' also smashed; she then defied the expectation of her being a one-album wonder with the incredibly success of Teenage Dream. Hell, people kept saying Rihanna would be over after every one of her single, yet she's still here and is more popular than ever. Rihanna, the pop star who can't sing, can't dance, not pretty, rude/not likeable, lazy, can't write, not popular in award shows, not popular among songwriters, and sings leftovers from other artists for a living.

I also don't think you realise how massive 21 actually was. It's obviously an absolute monster in this century so let's compare it to the biggest of all-time only:
- biggest-selling solo album in the UK, No 4 overall - outsold even Michael Jackson's Thriller;
- best-performing album in the US in history based on chart position, second to, well, no-one;
- biggest-selling female single ever ('Rolling In The Deep':wink:, second to, once again, no-one.

Overall sales the album is No 34 in the world conservatively estimating, or at No 15 of all-time if you go by claimed shipments.

So what are these other 33 albums on top of 21? They were released by Michael Jackson, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Shania Twain, AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, Alanis Morissette, The Beatles, Céline Dion, Guns n
Roses, Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen, ABBA, Simon & Garfunkel, Meat Loaf, U2, Queen, Mariah Carey, Madonna, several soundtracks.

Among these people, only Morissette, Dire Straits, and Meat Loaf are forgotten. The odds are against you if you think after 21, any artist can just be totally forgotten in 10 years. Limiting to the Top 15, you'd have only Morissette left, whose follow-up album never reached the impact 25 is having, and whose Jagged Little Pill was released in a much better climate, with much weaker hits.

The opening sales of 25 obviously doesn't mean she'll go down nicely in history, as we can see from *Nsync not really being remembered after they disbanded (though Justin Timberlake is still one of the biggest stars we have). But it's a reflection of the impact of 21, a showcase of 21's legacy if you wish. There were massive albums before, released by the aforementioned Morissette, Norah Jones, and so on. But none of their follow-ups experienced anything like this - none of anyone's follow-up experienced anything like this. And the facts are there - 21 clearly infiltrated the heart of both the album-buying public and the general public who would normally not buy an album.

Adele, now looking to be at least like Céline Dion - not much impact overall, massive seller, will be remembered for a hit or two, and will always be remembered ever if she doesn't sell much after a decade. And optimistically, she wouldn't really do much more than that since she doesn't change her musical style drastically and is mostly selling the voice/emotion. But of course she can always pull a Whitney Houston whose legacy, for better or worse, was enhanced by drugs, misbehaviour, public meltdowns, and general messiness.

---

I really can't see how you think Adele has a 'cult'. She's one of those artists (like P!nk, Kelly Clarkson,Garth Brooks, Kate Bush, Sade, The Eagles) who sells a lot but don't seem to have a massive online 'stan' presence around. She's not someone who can win every internet poll, like Madonna, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Britney Spears, Carrie Underwood, Beyoncé etc. In fact, no-one talks about Adele when she's on break.

I also think the delusional perception that pop divas are propped up by the gays is just clearly not true. There are simply not enough gay people to send all those Katy Perry songs to No 1 or get 1989 to sell 8 million copies world-wide.

---

Lastly, I want to point out to you that Noel from Oasis, whose UK first-week record will be broken by 25, opined that Adele would be forgotten in two years after 2011. Don't follow his footsteps.

Calm down mate
Hiding in a cave to escape from Hurricane ADELE. Just like Sam Smith who said he's taking a break, Rihanna who allegedly is pushing back her album further to avoid ADELE, and Ed Sheeran who explicitly said he's pushing his album back for several months so he doesn't have to complete against ADELE at the Grammy's.

I suppose they will be forming an orderly queue so that only one album by a big player is out at a time. :rofl:
Original post by SeanFM
I suppose they will be forming an orderly queue so that only one album by a big player is out at a time. :rofl:

If they want a No 1, yes. :rofl:

Or it'll be like Susan Boyle's I Dreamed a Dream blocking both Alicia Keys (400k+) and Mary J Blige (300k+).

Rumour has it Rihanna is releasing next week, alongside Coldplay. The first two casualties. :rofl:

And by that of course I mean after Justin Bieber (whose massive 'Sorry' was completely overshadowed by 'Hello') and Ariana Grande (whose 'Focus' couldn't even managed to go No 1 for one split second during 'Hello''s second week and is not rumoured to be scraping her album. :rofl:

Killing careers, ADELEGEND is not playing. :rofl: Poor Lady Gaga and the electro-pop sound.

At least she gave careers to Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Sam Smith, Emeli Sandé, Ed Sheeran, Meghan Trainor, Jessie J; boosted those of John Legend's, Justin Timberlake's, Bruno Mars's, Ryan Tedder's, Taylor Swift's etc.
If they want a No 1, yes. :rofl:

Or it'll be like Susan Boyle's I Dreamed a Dream blocking both Alicia Keys (400k+) and Mary J Blige (300k+).

Rumour has it Rihanna is releasing next week, alongside Coldplay. The first two casualties. :rofl:

And by that of course I mean after Justin Bieber (whose massive 'Sorry' was completely overshadowed by 'Hello':wink: and Ariana Grande (whose 'Focus' couldn't even managed to go No 1 for one split second during 'Hello''s second week and is not rumoured to be scraping her album. :rofl:

Killing careers, ADELEGEND is not playing. :rofl: Poor Lady Gaga and the electro-pop sound.

At least she gave careers to Lana Del Rey, Lorde, Sam Smith, Emeli Sandé, Ed Sheeran, Meghan Trainor, Jessie J; boosted those of John Legend's, Justin Timberlake's, Bruno Mars's, Ryan Tedder's, Taylor Swift's etc.

You really know your stuff about music artists, genuinely! When you put thins that way, Adele seems to have a lot of power. :K:
Original post by SeanFM
You really know your stuff about music artists, genuinely! When you put thins that way, Adele seems to have a lot of power. :K:

She's quite often underestimated because she has few obsessive stans and is not a celebrity. People don't talk about her.

But musically she has massive impact on pop music - people just don't realise that because 21 was slaying low-key.

'Someone Like You' was the first song ever in US history to go No 1 with just vocals and the piano. Right after that, we got 'When I Was Your Man' and 'All of Me'.

Before 21, electro-dance pop was still dominating. After that, there's quite a bit of diversity. We have a lot more acoustic and organic music now. And no more 'Party Rock Anthem' or 'Just Dance'.

'Rolling In The Deep' started off the recent retro trend which has seen Timberlake, Pharrell Williams, Daft Punk, 'Blurred Lines' etc smashing.

ADELE's plus-size body also turned the tide and we see more non-skinny women now: Meghan, Kelly Clarkson, which has indirectly led to the booty trend: Meghan, J Lo, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus.
Reply 194

And by that of course I mean after Justin Bieber (whose massive 'Sorry' was completely overshadowed by 'Hello') and Ariana Grande (whose 'Focus' couldn't even managed to go No 1 for one split second during 'Hello''s second week and is not rumoured to be scraping her album. :rofl:

Do you think donut-gate hurt her career (professionally and commercially) loads? She's scraping her album now? :eek:

I still like EDMs though, and LG has some pipes and may be comparatively equal to Adele's voice, no? :wink:

- biggest-selling female single ever ('Rolling In The Deep':wink:, second to, once again, no-one.

---

---

Have you ever listened to the Beatles?
Also, high album sales are not the criteria for good music...
Original post by John55
Have you ever listened to the Beatles?

Yes. Have you?

It's an undeniable fact that The Beatles were despised by the older generation of the time, with their repetitive and shorter songs on limited matters and teenage following.

Original post by John55
Also, high album sales are not the criteria for good music...

And where did I say sales = quality??

And yeah it's quite clear. She loves me yeah yeah yeah and love love me do you know I love you are perfect examples of that.
Original post by kka25
Do you think donut-gate hurt her career (professionally and commercially) loads? She's scraping her album now? :eek:

I still like EDMs though, and LG has some pipes and may be comparatively equal to Adele's voice, no? :wink:

Gaga can sing but that means nothing. ADELE is not just selling a technical singing voice, but emotions. Gaga's voice doesn't convey emotions.

I think donut-gate is overstated. 'Focus' is just a horrible song, and the fact she couldn't even go No 1 on iTunes gave her less exposure for extra sales.

It's just rumoured. She's never had a release date. She removed her bio that says 'moonlight' and said the removal was significant but didn't explain.
Yes. Have you?

It's an undeniable fact that The Beatles were despised by the older generation of the time, with their repetitive and shorter songs on limited matters and teenage following.

And where did I say sales = quality??

And yeah it's quite clear. She loves me yeah yeah yeah and love love me do you know I love you are perfect examples of that.

You cannot argue that the Beatles are repetitive based on their early work, everyone who knows anything about music (though to be fair you do know a hell of a lot about pop music) realizes that before 1965 the Beatles weren't that great and were repetitive, it's their albums such as Sgt Pepper, Revolver and The White Album that make them one of the best musical acts of all time. The Beatles were revolutionary and nobody before them did the things they did. The same can't be said for Adele who's music is about as unoriginal as it get's, which to be fair you kind of alluded to.

You never stated properly that sales equal quality, but your claims to Adele's legend status seems to be mostly based on her breaking sales records. The only reason she sells so much is because her music is easy to listen to and people who don't listen to music much and don't care about music and just want something nice to listen to listen to stuff like Adele. I'm not saying that people who care about music don't listen to Adele, I'm not trying to claim you don't care about music, I mean she's not a bad artist per say (I can't stand her songs because I just find them tedious), but it's not like I can't understand people liking her. But the point I'm making is that she won't be a legendary musician, in my personal opinion you have to be individual and push boundaries in music to be legendary which Adele hasn't done.
She may be legendary in pop culture however, I mean Elton John's still remembered for his music despite not pushing boundaries, he just wrote and sung some brilliant pop songs.
Original post by John55
You cannot argue that the Beatles are repetitive based on their early work, everyone who knows anything about music (though to be fair you do know a hell of a lot about pop music) realizes that before 1965 the Beatles weren't that great and were repetitive, it's their albums such as Sgt Pepper, Revolver and The White Album that make them one of the best musical acts of all time. The Beatles were revolutionary and nobody before them did the things they did. The same can't be said for Adele who's music is about as unoriginal as it get's, which to be fair you kind of alluded to.

But the repetitive bubblegum pop tunes also were invented by them and contributed to a major part of their influence. You cannot pretend that that didn't exist.

This is without mentioning the fact that without the initial hits The Beatles's better music will never have seen the light of the day. They became legends because of both. And even for the latter, they're releasing popularised versions of music. They're not Pink Floyd.

I never argued that Adele's music are musical masterpieces or whatever so your argument really is as strawman's as it gets. I literally said she sells emotions and will at most and also most likely be remembered as someone like Céline Dion.

This is without pointing out the mere fact that 25 is her third album. Revolver was The Beatles's eighteenth album. They had a total of 24 albums. By the time Madonna released her third album (True Blue), she also had not been recognised as a musician yet (it started with the subsequent album, Like a Prayer).

Original post by John55
You never stated properly that sales equal quality, but your claims to Adele's legend status seems to be mostly based on her breaking sales records.

I've never claimed that sales equal quality and that is a fact. You need to stop putting words into my mouth.

On Adele's sales, what I said was that this is the biggest musical peak since The Beatles. I went on to even specify that I wasn't talking about overall careers or the acts themselves but the peak itself. This is a repeat of the Beatlemania and the Beatlemania had absolutely nothing to do with quality music.

Original post by John55
The only reason she sells so much is because her music is easy to listen to and people who don't listen to music much and don't care about music and just want something nice to listen to listen to stuff like Adele.

If it's this easy, why didn't everyone and their mother sell this great? I'm not saying 21 and 25 are musical masterpieces - but you're just utterly deluded if you try to downplay the impact she has had on masses of people.

This is unprecedented. She's touching fans of all genres. She's touching people of all ages. She's touching every single demography. So far in history only The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Elvis Presley perhaps have done that.

She may or may not be remembered as a future. She may or may not be considered a legend in the future. But moments like this will not go away easily. Moments like this don't come by easily.

Whatever she did, she did something remarkable - and this is something you need to understand and cannot possibly downplay.

Original post by John55
I'm not saying that people who care about music don't listen to Adele, I'm not trying to claim you don't care about music, I mean she's not a bad artist per say (I can't stand her songs because I just find them tedious), but it's not like I can't understand people liking her.

Indeed because you would just be wrong. If people who care about music don't listen to Adele, she would not have been able to move this amount of albums. There's isn't a group of people who are collectively resisting Adele, except for the Japanese.

Original post by John55
But the point I'm making is that she won't be a legendary musician, in my personal opinion you have to be individual and push boundaries in music to be legendary which Adele hasn't done.

To be a legend, you don't have to have broken grounds musically.

If such an unremarkable English working class woman who sings ordinary songs can sell millions and millions of albums, that in itself would make her a legend. Legends are people who can do things other people cannot do. Legends are people who untouchable, who have done something unimaginable. And this is what Adele is doing as we speak.

Her sales impact may or may not be remembered in the future (but this is going into history books regardless, with very little chance of being surpassed in the future), but to say she will be forgotten in 10 years is just plain silly. As long as she continues to release album every 2-4 years, she'll certainly be remembered. Even Ciara is still remembered ffs.

Original post by John55
She may be legendary in pop culture however, I mean Elton John's still remembered for his music despite not pushing boundaries, he just wrote and sung some brilliant pop songs.

Correction: He wrote and sung one brilliant pop song ('Your Song') and released one ('Candle In The Wind 1997') owing mostly to Diana, Princess of Wales. But see? Ever if he's got no brilliant pop songs whatsoever, he'd still have been remembered because he's got the freaking biggest-selling single of all-time, even though that had hardly anything to do with music and hardly anyone really liked the song (it flopped in its original form).

Quick Reply

Latest