The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Primary teaching QTS at university of chester

Primary teaching QTS at university of chester
hey there, i'm really interested in the primary teaching with QTS undergraduate degree but haven't had chance to visit any of the open days which are now finished, therefore was wondering if anyone has details on the course? e.g. contact time hours etc, interview process/questions, work placements and all that kind of stuff. Apparently we have to do a literacy and numeracy test as well?which I'm worried about as I'm hopeless at maths and only got a C in GCSE. thanks in advance :smile:
Hi
I am currently studying primary education at the University of Chester and I am in my third and final year.
There are a lot of contact hours especially in third year approximately 23-25 hours a week as well as a placement each year. First year placement you get an immersion which is two weeks followed by a full placement in the summer term of 6 weeks, second year placement is 8 weeks and third year placement is 14 weeks.
The interview process is one day where you will be asked to sit a maths , english and science test as well as a single and group interview. You may also be asked to teach a short 10 minute lesson.

Skills tests are something that has to be done before you come to university but can be done after interviews and acceptance
These are available to practice on the uk goverment website where you can also book a test.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :smile: Sarah
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Sarahloulou1994
Hi
I am currently studying primary education at the University of Chester and I am in my third and final year.
There are a lot of contact hours especially in third year approximately 23-25 hours a week as well as a placement each year. First year placement you get an immersion which is two weeks followed by a full placement in the summer term of 6 weeks, second year placement is 8 weeks and third year placement is 14 weeks.
The interview process is one day where you will be asked to sit a maths , english and science test as well as a single and group interview. You may also be asked to teach a short 10 minute lesson.

Skills tests are something that has to be done before you come to university but can be done after interviews and acceptance
These are available to practice on the uk goverment website where you can also book a test.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :smile: Sarah

Thanks for the info! would you say the tests are quite hard? i got B's at GCSE english and science and have done A level history, business and photography, do you reckon its mostly common sense? Id probably have to revise some maths again!:smile: X
Reply 3
Hello,

I'm in my first year of the QTS course which I am really enjoying. My contact hours change each week so it's difficult to say how many you would have but the hours are split well between different subjects. I have already started my placement, which they are doing differently this year. You go into school one day each week until June when there is a four week placement that you are in school everyday for. The tests are quite difficult but with revision you will be fine, and you have three chances to do them. I would recommend Chester for this course, the city is lovely too!
Hayley
Hi
I got b at GCSE English and science I got chemistry c then biology and physics b and a in maths, the test are not too difficult you can practice the skills tests free online my one piece of advice don't stress too much. The university tests are not too bad not harder than GCSE level easier than that most of them possibly the odd question.
The thing they mainly look at is personality, experience and enthusiasm :smile:
Hi! I'm also a third year student. The skills tests aren't too bad as long as you keep calm. I really recommend the 'maths made easy' package you can buy on the Internet. They give you extra test papers and loads of strategies to help you answer the maths questions faster, which is something I struggled with. But I passed both first time! And the English was really easy, most are common sense and the hardest word I had to spell was 'vegetable'.

The contact time is full on compared to other degree courses, but you still get plenty of time off, and you get half terms when other courses don't :smile: it's much easier and less full on than A Level, so you'll be fine!

As long as you're friendly, enthusiastic and actually want to teach children then you'll be fine at interview. The questions they ask at interview are common sense, just don't let your nerves get the better of you and enjoy yourself!
Would you say the course is difficult to fun
Original post by Boobear12
Would you say the course is difficult to fun

Hi,
Staff from our Department of Education and Children's Services (this includes all our teaching courses) are available to speak to online. Simply go to: www.chester.ac.uk/ask > select staff > search 'Education and Children's Services'.
Let us know if you have any other questions - we're happy to help :smile:
Best wishes,
Hayley
I'm starting primary education soon.

I am just getting ready to buy some stationary. Would you suggest have different notebooks for all your lectures and seminars. And big folders for you placements for your teaching standards. Or folders for your notes and placement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending