The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bellaofficial07
did anyone get interview for PPE? haven't heard anything from them. They take so long, makes me even more anxious :frown:

Nope, nothing yet! Which college?
Original post by PasserbyA
Nope, I'm Singaporean. Hence why I can read, speak and write in Chinese, and why the the comment that was from google translate lost its "oomph" as an insult.

Ooh, I'm 1/4 Singaporean.
It's cool though, we can suffer through the expensive uni fees together :wink:
Original post by Oakflame
Nope, nothing yet! Which college?

University College, you?
when do they normally send the decision tho?
Original post by somnacin

Nice, although Singaporean Chinese are more or less 100% from China so...

I'm applying for scholarships to tide me through! My family isn't wealthy enough to pay 20-30k a year hahaha
University College, you?
when do they normally send the decision tho?

Worcester :smile: Last year most heard 25-26th, so I reckon it will be the same this year. Only a few more days :eek:
Nice, although Singaporean Chinese are more or less 100% from China so...

I'm applying for scholarships to tide me through! My family isn't wealthy enough to pay 20-30k a year hahaha

Lol, that is pretty true! :biggrin:

I'm thinking of going through the scholarship route as well, but I'll have to get in Oxford before that happens. Which course did you apply for?

Also, I wonder if anyone has received an interview invite today...
Worcester :smile: Last year most heard 25-26th, so I reckon it will be the same this year. Only a few more days :eek:

woah! 2 more days then :O well, not really relying on Oxford tho. Did not do well on the TSA, and my grades is not competitive enough. so, many reasons not to get an interview. hahaha. but at least I need the date for me to go home! :frown:
Lol, that is pretty true! :biggrin:

I'm thinking of going through the scholarship route as well, but I'll have to get in Oxford before that happens. Which course did you apply for?

Also, I wonder if anyone has received an interview invite today...

...I had to go and apply for one of the most competitive courses in Oxford without knowing it was so competitive. Economics and Management, it seems there was a 7% acceptance rate last year, and I thought it was normal for a place like Oxford heh. I'm assuming that I'll know whether or not I got an interview or rejection perhaps by midweek. What did you apply for?
did anyone get interview for PPE? haven't heard anything from them. They take so long, makes me even more anxious :frown:

None for PPE yet, from any college... as far as I know!
woah! 2 more days then :O well, not really relying on Oxford tho. Did not do well on the TSA, and my grades is not competitive enough. so, many reasons not to get an interview. hahaha. but at least I need the date for me to go home! :frown:

Same here, really doubting that I have done good enough for an interview. My grades are Swedish, so I don't have anything to compare them too, hence I have no idea whether they are good enough or not. Ran out of time on the TSA, had to guess the last few questions. I think the critical thinking part went okay, it usually does. It's more the problem solving part that I struggle with, mostly I am slow so I miss out on the last few, or hurry and get more wrong. What makes you think you're TSA went badly? Hoping for an interview, but I'm preparing for a rejection.
...I had to go and apply for one of the most competitive courses in Oxford without knowing it was so competitive. Economics and Management, it seems there was a 7% acceptance rate last year, and I thought it was normal for a place like Oxford heh. I'm assuming that I'll know whether or not I got an interview or rejection perhaps by midweek. What did you apply for?

7 percent!! That's insane - it's like an Ivy League acceptance rate. Archaeology & Ancient History is at 29%, but it's certainly not as popular as E&M.

Yeah, hopefully by midweek; refreshing my inbox 30 times a day can not be healthy :tongue:

Because we took the TSA, it seems ours takes a bit longer. I'm expecting an email around mid-end of this week, and although it does nothing to soothe the nerves, all we can do is just wait around and stalk the threads for a hint of the beginning that will start the flood of emails to TSA, HAT, PAT and ELAT people (sorry if I left out your admissions test, I can't remember all of them).
7 percent!! That's insane - it's like an Ivy League acceptance rate. Archaeology & Ancient History is at 29%, but it's certainly not as popular as E&M.

Yeah, hopefully by midweek; refreshing my inbox 30 times a day can not be healthy :tongue:

It makes for a wonderful excuse if I don't get in though haha, I wouldn't want to try for a course with a high acceptance rate and not get in, that would be a killer for one's self-esteem.

I just stalk the threads and wait for a hint that the emails are coming, when the TSA thread starts coming alive again you know the emails for those courses have started.
Same here, really doubting that I have done good enough for an interview. My grades are Swedish, so I don't have anything to compare them too, hence I have no idea whether they are good enough or not. Ran out of time on the TSA, had to guess the last few questions. I think the critical thinking part went okay, it usually does. It's more the problem solving part that I struggle with, mostly I am slow so I miss out on the last few, or hurry and get more wrong. What makes you think you're TSA went badly? Hoping for an interview, but I'm preparing for a rejection.

Well, I'm taking A-level, but my grades are not as fantastic as other applicants. My AS may let my application down, although, Oxford clearly said they won't see our AS grades, but still, the pressure still exists.
For TSA, I had problem with the time as well. I had to do 3 questions at the last 5 minutes! so guessing was the only way hahaha. I didn't really remember all the questions, so not sure where did I do awfully.
but definitely prepare for rejection! :smile:
Because we took the TSA, it seems ours takes a bit longer. I'm expecting an email around mid-end of this week, and although it does nothing to soothe the nerves, all we can do is just wait around and stalk the threads for a hint of the beginning that will start the flood of emails to TSA, HAT, PAT and ELAT people (sorry if I left out your admissions test, I can't remember all of them).

ya you're right. but honestly, I don't even want to open my TSA results before I get the decision for the interview. even if i get rejected, still not going to open the result anyway.

Just out of interest - us home/eu-students can cover our fees with student loans from the British government. Is that how it works for you with national companies/banks/organisations, too? I've been wondering about how you guys even manage those costs for ages :smile:
Well, I'm taking A-level, but my grades are not as fantastic as other applicants. My AS may let my application down, although, Oxford clearly said they won't see our AS grades, but still, the pressure still exists.
For TSA, I had problem with the time as well. I had to do 3 questions at the last 5 minutes! so guessing was the only way hahaha. I didn't really remember all the questions, so not sure where did I do awfully.
but definitely prepare for rejection! :smile:

Is that true that oxford don't see our AS grades??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crastle
Is that true that oxford don't see our AS grades??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe so. the admission said that during the open day. it's because some candidates didn't put their AS grades in their application. they look at the predicted grades and the TSA results for the interview, I believe. not sure if they look at the PS on shortlisting people for interview.
I believe so. the admission said that during the open day. it's because some candidates didn't put their AS grades in their application. they look at the predicted grades and the TSA results for the interview, I believe. not sure if they look at the PS on shortlisting people for interview.

I'm pretty sure that Oxford will take into account your AS grades.
They don't take into account UMS like Cambridge but they will take into account the whole grade.
Moreover if you put your module grades down they will take this into account too.

In short - they do take into account your AS grades.

My school's admissions counsellor mentioned that the PS was important, but not as important as for other unis for courses that have an admissions test. For those that don't, however, we would have reason to believe that the PS and especially the referral have approximately the same importance as it does for other unis. I mean, most applying to oxford have decent if not good grades (by their standards), and so the PS and referral would be a great distinction between candidates who want the course, and candidates who both want it and can excel in it.

Latest

Trending

Trending