The Student Room Group

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams?

Scroll to see replies

GCSE mocks: 1B, 7Cs
GCSEs: 3A*s, 4As, 3Bs
mocks: 2a*s 1a 1b 1c 3-4d
gcses: 3a* 7a 3b >_>
Original post by Neuth
I did better in my mocks than in my real GCSE exams :fluffy:

Put the work in and in the end you'll be fine. Use your mock grades as motivation :yep:
If you know you didn't work as hard as you normally would, you already know there's room for improvement.

:ditto:

I agree with this wonderful advice.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
I got more A*s in it, than in my actual GCSEs.
Reply 104
Original post by OliviaJH
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

Mocks mean nothing,
Mocks:
English literature U
English language U
Computer science U
ICT BTEC merit
Biology A*
Maths C
Chemistry B
Physics B
Geography A*
Psychology B

Real GCSE's:
Biology A
Physics B
Chemistry B
English literature B
English language C
Maths C
Psychology C
Computer science C
ICT BTEC Pass
Geography E
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

DO NOT WORRY! I failed most of my mocks, then passed my GCSE's, just make sure you revise more for your real exams! hope this helps!:smile:
I got Bs and Cs mostly, couple of Ds, one U in my mocks and then ended up with 3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs, so I did alright in the end :smile:

What I would say to you is that even though your school (if it's like mine) will literally treat them like they're the most important thing that has happened ever in the entire history of humanity, mocks themselves aren't actually that helpful or important when it comes to your actual GCSEs, so I wouldn't worry too much about your grades. They say they give you a taste of what sitting GCSEs is actually like but they don't really because in the real thing you know it's actually important but in the mock you know it's just a mock lol. However, it can be helpful to do some basic revision for them, because it really helps when you're revising for the real thing as the basics come back to you more quickly and then you can move on to the more advanced stuff. If you're looking for something to revise from if your notes aren't too good, BBC Bitesize can be really helpful and also check the websites of your exam boards - sometimes they have specifications on which basically give you the entire syllabus in condensed form which is really helpful. Also, I'd say you definitely need to start doing some past papers already - your school should give you them or at least have some on hand if you ask - they might be a pain in the arse to do but they are so helpful when it comes to practising timing and exam technique - I definitely wish I'd done more!

Hope that helped :smile:
In my school the people with 8 or more A/A* doubled from the mocks to the actual exam. Personally I had a couple of A* is mocks, As and a B, but in the real things I got 10A*s and an A (damn biology!). My advice is do as many past papers as you can and keep on doing them until you can get high 90s/100% in all of them :smile:
6Bs 4As in mocks
4A*s 6As in real thing
This was last year :smile:
Reply 109
Well truth be told I actually got lower grades than my actual gcses that's because of lack of revision and same with other people. But these grades are important to give to future colleges/sixth forms, but don't fret too much if you don't get the highest grades I didn't and my actual gcses were good
Mocks do not mean s***. The teachers mark horrendously harshly in an attempt to "scare" you into revising harder and also act as if you don't have a massive 5 week (or however long it is) study leave where you actually bother to work a bit. I got some As, Bs and Cs in my mocks and at parents evening had a teacher telling my mum that unless I worked incredibly hard I was destined for a C in chemistry and then hey, what happened.... They mark ridiculously nicely in comparison to our teachers in the real thing so I came out with 7 A*s 3As. Mocks are bs.
I actually did better in my mocks than my real
Mocks 4 A*s 5As
Real 2Bs 7As 2A*s
Sorry if this doesn't help 🌝💩
Hey i'm a current Yr 11 and i would really like to know about your revision technique for your GCSEs
because i find it difficult to revise sometimes as i would stress over all the subjects i have to balance revision for.
How did you balance revision for all the subjects?
Original post by 321cbfjpg
Hey i'm a current Yr 11 and i would really like to know about your revision technique for your GCSEs
because i find it difficult to revise sometimes as i would stress over all the subjects i have to balance revision for.
How did you balance revision for all the subjects?

Past papers is definitely the best thing in my opinion. Do every past paper there is for the subjects, and keep on doing them until you can get 90-100% in all of them. If you can answer pretty much every question that's ever come up, there are only so many questions they can ask you :smile:
Honestly don't read into GCSE mocks too much. I know they can be a good indicator of how well you'll do in the real thing, but that's only if you put the same amount of revision into them as you will for the real ones. I, for example, did not do very well in my GCSE mocks. I got a few A*s (in foreign languages and Biology) and some Bs, Cs etc - I didn't do much revision at all. I revised really hard for the real things and I ended up getting 9 A*s and 3 As. The same thing happened last year for my AS mocks and real exams. Just make sure you revise as much as you can, without burning out, for the real ones. Do past papers closer to the time of the exams and these will be a better indicator of how you should do in the real ones. I hope that's useful :smile:
i got 5 A*s and 6As in my mocks and 9 A*s and 2 As in my real gcses :smile:
Mock/Real thing
Lit C A*
Lang B A
maths C B
IT B A
RE B A
Core Science C B
Add. Science C B
German A* A*
French A A*
Geography B A*

:smile:
I had 1 A in my GCSE mocks. I ended up having 7 A*-As

As long as you do the work in between your mocks and the real things, then yours should improve substantially

I did terribly in mocks and got a few A*s in the real exams. Teachers certainly mark harshly, and rightly so. Whatever your mock exam results, use them as motivation to improve. You have time!
I was predicted 2/3 A*s but ended up with 8, even in a few subjects which I was predicted B's and C's.

If you don't give a **** about what the school and teacher's say and have you're own goals, you can prove successful. Like I didn't care about mock's cuz I knew universities wouldn't give two ****s if u had gotten top grades in them but ended up with lower grades in the real thing.

Quick Reply

Latest