The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaomie
I have a predicted 1st class degree in chemistry and I also have research and hospital experience in the US and also a month in Nigeria. Oh and I'm an international student I think they send our interviews out earlier

You've applied to A101 as an international? I thought the 25 GEM slots were for "home" students only? Or are you applying to A100 using a degree in place of A Levels?
Original post by Quilverine
You've applied to A101 as an international? I thought the 25 GEM slots were for "home" students only? Or are you applying to A100 using a degree in place of A Levels?

Oh Yh I'm sorry I should have made that very clear Yh I applied for A100 because I couldn't apply for GEM. Sorry if I confused anyone
Original post by enaomie
Oh Yh I'm sorry I should have made that very clear Yh I applied for A100 because I couldn't apply for GEM. Sorry if I confused anyone

Dude. I just had a moment of overwhelming joy. Now I'm back to feeling depressed about my lack of a mondo well paid job and/or sub par UKCAT. :bawling: :shot:

Anywho fingers crossed for your interview.

Edit to add: Has anyone worked out a way to get around the lack of tuition fee loan for A100? At my current rate of saving it would take me until I'm like 50. Are there UK finance companies that offer loans like in the US, all my googling just produces seriously shady looking e-loansharks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Dude. I just had a moment of overwhelming joy. Now I'm back to feeling depressed about my lack of a mondo well paid job and/or sub par UKCAT. :bawling: :shot:

Edit to add: Has anyone worked out a way to get around the lack of tuition fee loan for A100? At my current rate of saving it would take me until I'm like 50. Are there UK finance companies that offer loans like in the US, all my googling just produces seriously shady looking e-loansharks.

Am in the same boat. I have an interview for A100 at Exeter but I have no clue how to fund it

I worked out you need about £80 grand to fund undergrad. Could work for a few years first and enter med school later on. That's the only way I can think of doing it at the moment. Hoping I'll get on graduate entry... Though losing hope fast

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicwannabe21
I worked out you need about £80 grand to fund undergrad. Could work for a few years first and enter med school later on. That's the only way I can think of doing it at the moment. Hoping I'll get on graduate entry... Though losing hope fast

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get to that figure? You need £36k for fees, but you still get maintenance loan. Because they've got rid of grants, you should get up to £8kish per year in loans. Even if you only get minimal loans, you shouldn't need quite that much.
Original post by ForestCat
How did you get to that figure? You need £36k for fees, but you still get maintenance loan. Because they've got rid of grants, you should get up to £8kish per year in loans. Even if you only get minimal loans, you shouldn't need quite that much.

Ah I didn't realise you got maintenance, I didn't think you'd get anything. 36 grand is pretty doable to save over a couple of years then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicwannabe21
Ah I didn't realise you got maintenance, I didn't think you'd get anything. 36 grand is pretty doable to save over a couple of years then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, if you could live with someone supporting you and banked nearly everything for a couple of years it is doable. But if you have a family to support it seems like the most selfish use of savings when you could put a decent deposit down on a house :-/ I am just going to keep trying for GEM and hope that the funding situation improves.
Yeah, if you could live with someone supporting you and banked nearly everything for a couple of years it is doable. But if you have a family to support it seems like the most selfish use of savings when you could put a decent deposit down on a house :-/ I am just going to keep trying for GEM and hope that the funding situation improves.

I'm only 21 now, so could be an option for me if I have to. Hopefully will get on a gem course though 🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Morning everyone,

Good luck with the GEM applications and potential up-coming interviews. How is everyone preparing for their interviews?

@prospectivemed56 says that 'Richard Lehman's weekly review of medical journals' are extremely useful (found on this thread). Richard Lehman is a retired GP who writes his weekly review on the most interesting papers found in the following medical journals:

The BMJ
JAMA
Lancet
New England Journal of Medicine
Annals

We had a read through, and they're pretty funny too! Check them out here, or if the link doesn't work, you can just Google him.

If you're worried about the interview process for your GEM course, and happen to be in/near London, why not sign up for our free event at the Royal Society of Medicine?

At the talk, you'll learn how to tackle GEM interviews, and there will be also be information on GEM abroad as well. You can find out more, and sign up here.

Feel free to ask us any questions,

The Medic Portal
Reply 3710
Seriously losing my mind waiting for something to pop up in my email...
Sitting in a lecture about the neurobiology of affective disorders and I'm sitting here constantly refreshing my emails and this forum instead :sigh:
Original post by crkm
Sitting in a lecture about the neurobiology of affective disorders and I'm sitting here constantly refreshing my emails and this forum instead :sigh:

Same, really struggling to focus on work right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crkm

Tell me about it. What is long term potentiation :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Medic Portal
Morning everyone,

Good luck with the GEM applications and potential up-coming interviews. How is everyone preparing for their interviews?

@prospectivemed56 says that 'Richard Lehman's weekly review of medical journals' are extremely useful (found on this thread). Richard Lehman is a retired GP who writes his weekly review on the most interesting papers found in the following medical journals:

The BMJ
JAMA
Lancet
New England Journal of Medicine
Annals

We had a read through, and they're pretty funny too! Check them out here, or if the link doesn't work, you can just Google him.

If you're worried about the interview process for your GEM course, and happen to be in/near London, why not sign up for our free event at the Royal Society of Medicine?

At the talk, you'll learn how to tackle GEM interviews, and there will be also be information on GEM abroad as well. You can find out more, and sign up here.

Feel free to ask us any questions,

The Medic Portal

Thank you for that link, much appreciated :smile:
I'm getting a bit nervous now about Warwick. If we need to get references for all of our work experience prior to interview (7-10th Jan) it's going to be difficult if they leave it much longer. Christmas and New Year basically removes 10 days or so when people are likely to be off work etc and unable to supply references!
Original post by Alexdaman93
I'm getting a bit nervous now about Warwick. If we need to get references for all of our work experience prior to interview (7-10th Jan) it's going to be difficult if they leave it much longer. Christmas and New Year basically removes 10 days or so when people are likely to be off work etc and unable to supply references!

What do you mean by we have to get references?
Original post by Alexdaman93

I recall that with your UKCAT score you would be expecting an interview. Why not simply request the references now? That gives you plenty of time.

Edit: They aren't references as such, are they? I think it is just about getting confirmation of the time spent in those locations?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ali.s1002
What do you mean by we have to get references?

Proof of accruing the required amount of hours- wage slips/references/time log from the organisation, etc.

From the Warwick website: "At Selection Centre candidates will be required to provide verification of their work experience placements. We recommend that you ask for references at the time of your placements."
(edited 8 years ago)
Proof of accruing the required amount of hours- wage slips/references/time log from the organisation, etc.

From the Warwick website: "At Selection Centre candidates will be required to provide verification of their work experience placements. We recommend that you ask for references at the time of your placements."

Are these references in the sense of a written reference from your contact or just a contact at your placement provided with contact information?
Original post by Aliviarara
Are these references in the sense of a written reference from your contact or just a contact at your placement provided with contact information?

The people I did my placement with has left. This is gonna take a long time to sort, Warwick better make a decision soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending