The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GeogersReprsent
Well each to their own, nothing wrong with having this approach. Personally, I already have my offer from Bristol and I would drag myself through a pit of glass shards infested with deathstalker scoprions just to get an interview at Oxford.

If you'd put that in your personal statement you'd already have an unconditional offer :wink:
Original post by ForeignStudent32
We sell our soul to the devil for our university tuition.

Pretty much accurate :wink:

Wadham and Keble already sent out their offers for Ancient History??! Like get your game on, Brasenose :colonhash:
Original post by somnacin
Pretty much accurate :wink:

Are you applying to the United States as well. Their tuition is even higher.
Are you applying to the United States as well. Their tuition is even higher.

Oh hell no. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in debt to my parents :s-smilie:

Are you applying to Australia, Canada, other English speaking countries? What about China or Hong Kong?
Oh hell no. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in debt to my parents :s-smilie:

Are you applying to Australia, Canada, other English speaking countries? What about China or Hong Kong?

I am only applying to US and UK.
I am only applying to US and UK.

Which universities in US?
Why aren't you considering HK/China?
Which universities in US?
Why aren't you considering HK/China?

MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Caltech, Penn, Columbia, & Cornell

My parents want me to study abroad. And I don't really care where I go as long as it is highly ranked ...

My parents want me to study abroad. And I don't really care where I go as long as it is highly ranked ...

That is.... intense. Are you doing IB or 高考?
Also: good luck! You're going to need it :tongue:
That is.... intense. Are you doing IB or 高考?
Also: good luck! You're going to need it :tongue:

Depends on if I get in one of those 9. I already took the SAT (2320) / AP.

Thank you. You too :biggrin:

How did you do on the HAT.
Depends on if I get in one of those 9. I already took the SAT (2320) / AP.

Thank you. You too :biggrin:

How did you do on the HAT.

Oh, so like an American international school? The max is 2400 so your SAT score is actually quite good! Which APs did you do/are you doing? I'm taking quite a lot this year.

Haha, one of the reasons I applied for Arch & Ancient History instead of Ancient & Modern is that I don't need to take the HAT :tongue: - and that the acceptance rate is pretty high lol.

Did you need to take an aptitude test?
Oh, so like an American international school? The max is 2400 so your SAT score is actually quite good! Which APs did you do/are you doing? I'm taking quite a lot this year.

Haha, one of the reasons I applied for Arch & Ancient History instead of Ancient & Modern is that I don't need to take the HAT :tongue: - and that the acceptance rate is pretty high lol.

Did you need to take an aptitude test?

So lucky :biggrin: I had to drive two hours to my test location to take the MAT. Oh, I meant if I get in, I will probably just skip all the year end exams. Since US acceptances are not conditional.

I did 6 APs throughout my high school years.
(edited 8 years ago)

Nice, I'll be applying to several American schools to appease my parents who don't really want me to study abroad. Although they want me to go somewhere I could get a bunch of scholarships (i.e. not highly ranked). Which would you say is your top choice? (excluding Oxford) I was thinking about Princeton or Cornell if going to the UK doesn't work out.
Original post by djangosp2
Nice, I'll be applying to several American schools to appease my parents who don't really want me to study abroad. Although they want me to go somewhere I could get a bunch of scholarships (i.e. not highly ranked). Which would you say is your top choice? (excluding Oxford) I was thinking about Princeton or Cornell if going to the UK doesn't work out.

MIT is my top choice - I guess I will rank it
100/ 100 ( as how satisfied I would be if I get in)

Followed closely by Harvard 98, followed closely by Stanford 97, then followed not so closely by Princeton 92, followed closely by Caltech 90, then not so closely by Oxford 85, then Penn/ Columbia at 80, and Cornell at 75.

MIT is actually the 3 rd easiest to get into. MIT: 8 Cornell: 14 Oxford: 18%

How did you do on your SAT1 & 2. Hehe, I am filling in my US application as I type this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by googolplexity
Wadham, I've not received any email about interview decisions yet tho, Hbu?

Hopefully, you will be invited to attend the interview, please share great news when you receive it!
I applied to Pembroke and still haven't received anything... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

MIT is actually the 3 rd easiest to get into. MIT: 8 Cornell: 14 Oxford: 18%

Acceptance rate isn't purely how difficult it is to get into a university. Plenty of universities are under-subscribed or oversubscribed based on plenty of other factors other than those that are used to determine admissions. I'd argue that Cambridge and Oxford are THE hardest universities to get into, but receive less applicants because of the structure of the admissions process, which creates an image of intellectual exclusivity, and leads only the most qualified applicants to even consider applying.

I think I remember that you're a Chinese applicant, correct? Think about Tsinghua University, they have the lowest acceptance rate in the world by a long shot for Chinese applicants, but that's because of the sheer number of applicants and relatively low number of spots for admissions.
Original post by humortime
Acceptance rate isn't purely how difficult it is to get into a university. Plenty of universities are under-subscribed or oversubscribed based on plenty of other factors other than those that are used to determine admissions. I'd argue that Cambridge and Oxford are THE hardest universities to get into, but receive less applicants because of the structure of the admissions process, which creates an image of intellectual exclusivity, and leads only the most qualified applicants to even consider applying.

I think I remember that you're a Chinese applicant, correct? Think about Tsinghua University, they have the lowest acceptance rate in the world by a long shot for Chinese applicants, but that's because of the sheer number of applicants and relatively low number of spots for admissions.

Hardest would probably be IIT and Tsinghua and Beijing Uni (where the class size vs country population are extremely disproportional) since most uni are composed of mostly nationals. Their class size is about twice what Oxford is but their country population is about 20 times. Harvard / Stanford are also very difficult since their class size is merely half of what Oxf/ Cam is , but US population is 3 times the UK pop. And I am not a Chinese citizen.
(edited 8 years ago)
Acceptance rate should never be used as the primary gauge for whether a university is good. Oxbridge are definitely up there with the Ivies in terms of standard. Acceptance rate is deceivingly high because of the fact that one can only apply to Ox or Cam and not both, so that means half of the top students would pick either one, and also because of the Ucas limit on number of applications, hence the weaker students will not apply to maximize their chances elsewhere. Whereas in the US one can apply to as many colleges as they want to.
Original post by Zephex
Acceptance rate should never be used as the primary gauge for whether a university is good. Oxbridge are definitely up there with the Ivies in terms of standard. Acceptance rate is deceivingly high because of the fact that one can only apply to Ox or Cam and not both, so that means half of the top students would pick either one, and also because of the Ucas limit on number of applications, hence the weaker students will not apply to maximize their chances elsewhere. Whereas in the US one can apply to as many colleges as they want to.

However, if the restriction where you can only apply to one of Ox or Cam is lifted the acceptance will also become higher for both uni.

I never acceptance rate is relevent to how good a uni is. Or else I wouldnt have ranked MIT as my 1st choice.
However, if the restriction where you can only apply to one of Ox or Cam is lifted the acceptance will also become higher for both uni.

How does that make any logical sense? Same amount of spots and (theoretically) double the applicants means the acceptance rate would be half of what it normally would be for each.

Latest

Trending

Trending